Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Non Functioning Heater Blower

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
C6Dave   
Fri Dec 27 2013, 10:45am

Member No: #1
Got back from holiday last Sunday and the blower on the heater wasn't working. This has happened twice in the past and sure enough, Monday morning it was working again.

However Xmas eve it stopped and has not come back to life so I'm thinking that it's either a faulty temp sensor or the heater fan resistor (common on the C4 Picasso's when the scuttle drains block) but.......

Local dealers are closed (thought they might open today but no) so can't get it checked out

I'm not bothered about the lack of heating as not going far anyway, but keeping the windows from misting up is a pain.

Just have to use the 28 year old Merc which stands out on the drive, starts 1st time and everything works as it should

To be continued........
Website
jacktherev   
Fri Dec 27 2013, 11:45am
Member No: #1423
Yeah Dave but not the comfort of the C6 I bet? Its probably something simple thats why I am fortunate that I've got a small independent Citroen Dealer who trays my own C6 like his own and takes the same pride in it and doesn't charge me a fortune.
C6Dave   
Fri Dec 27 2013, 12:50pm

Local dealer is a small family run business with great service. The Merc isn't that bad, wallows a bit on the bends but comfortable to ride in
Website
smihaialex   
Fri Dec 27 2013, 09:09pm
Member No: #1031
mark28   
Sat Dec 28 2013, 09:59am
Member No: #102
Old mercs never fail!
ChrisHunter   
Sat Dec 28 2013, 09:14pm
Member No: #188
But what do they aspire to ... ?

Merc's - never driven one, but 'have been a passenger in quite a few, in front & back, always cramped, always uncomfortable, even short trips ...
verycleverman   
Sat Dec 28 2013, 11:33pm
Member No: #65
ChrisHunter wrote ...

Merc's - never driven one, but 'have been a passenger in quite a few, in front & back, always cramped, always uncomfortable, even short trips ...

Used to drive a friend's late '70s Merc in the Middle East; it was the same age and size as my MkII Granada but wasn't a patch on the Ford for comfort and 'driveability' and as for the parking brake... It was a foot operated, knob released type; a system that worked well on the Xm Automatic but lethal on a manual.

Pete.
Jodyone   
Sun Dec 29 2013, 07:01pm
Member No: #1240
I've got a C123 too- an '84 280CE. We've had it a few years, and it was my daily driver for 50K miles or so. Superbly reliable grand motoring. I'd say its comfort levels are similar to the C6, we drove it across southern europe covering 500 miles a day, and were as refreshed as could be..! Though the lack of aircon was a fight in central spain. It's sadly off the road at the moment- needing a front suspension rebuild. Hopefully done this winter!

jacktherev   
Sun Dec 29 2013, 08:31pm
Member No: #1423
Mmmmm have to admit its a nice looking car but my 11 year old grandson has just told me it's not as sexy as your C6 Grandad. Must say I was pleased. Lol
Leo   
Mon Dec 30 2013, 12:35pm
Member No: #94
I'm in the old Merc club as well - '92 300 GDL Auto - tough as old boots, never fails to start, always gets there (eventually), but nowhere near the comfort and style of the C6.

Leo
C6Dave   
Mon Dec 30 2013, 03:33pm

Back on topic

Looks like it's going to be a warranty claim......

The Heater Blower motor has definitely failed. I was shown an 'Info Rapid' from Citroen on the subject and it's a known issue in low temperatures apparently.

There was vague comment about 'insufficient tolerance' in the motor which means when it's cold, the motor sticks apparently.

In my case it's showing an open circuit across the motor terminals so the only option is to change it.

The motor is circa £230 and it's an hours labour to change. My local Dealer labour rate is only £50 an hour and the Warranty limit is £60 so now starts the negotiation with My Vehicle Warranty, if they answer the phone of course.......
Website
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 09 2014, 12:59pm

Well we can forget the warranty claim, the people who sold it to me haven't passed the info over to the claims handlers so I can't claim, and they aren't contactable any more..........

Anyway went ahead and told the dealer just to order the part a.s.a.p.

It arrived this morning so they fitted it straight away but...... why is there always a but?

The new motor was noisy so they have sent it straight back to Citroen so it will be next Tuesday now before a replacement arrives.........
Website
drummond   
Thu Jan 09 2014, 05:54pm
Member No: #238
In the (very) old days, a 2cv van (375cc) would set out from Slough, go to Paris- there were no motorways-get the part, and return to Slough the following day.

Mind you, it probably took them a week to get it up north
smihaialex   
Thu Jan 09 2014, 08:46pm
Member No: #1031
Sorry to hear that Dave, had that happen to me too - receive an original Citroën part that was in a bad shape and had to be sent back I know the feeling.

Sam

C6Dave   
Tue Jan 14 2014, 03:39pm

Just back from getting the heater blower motor (6441AJ) replaced on the C6 @ £328.05 which includes labour.

Good news is that it now works, bad news is that the mechanic clipped the front bumper taking the car into the workshop popping a parking sensor and breaking the headlight washer so there going to get it fixed.

Bumper needs painting but on a close inspection it looks like the headlight is damaged as well.......... but you can't see that on the image so it's going to be an expensive claim on their insurance

The bill for parts to overhaul the Tractions engine has just passed the £1,540.00 mark.

Not a good start to 2014
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club