C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Ice / USB Box / Telephone problems

Automatic Locking of Doors when Driving Off

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
jacktherev   
Sat Dec 14 2013, 05:50am
Member No: #1423
My wife likes all the doors locked when in the car. Can the doors be set to automatically lock after one moves off? I would appreciate if this can be done, how to do it.

Jack
Hattershaun   
Sat Dec 14 2013, 11:08am
Member No: #320
Just press and hold the 'door lock' button on the dashboard for a few seconds, you'll get a message on the screen saying 'auto locking activated'. Then the doors will lock when you drive off from standstill and get to 6 mph. To deactivate press and hold the button again.
C6Dave   
Sat Dec 14 2013, 05:33pm

Member No: #1
Just remember that with it activated you need to press the button once to let passengers into the back (or front) if your picking someone up
Website
e3steve   
Sat Dec 14 2013, 05:38pm
Member No: #1163
Autolock is a must nowadays. My mate would've lost his phone and his man-bag from his passenger seat last week, were it not for autolock! Some scumbag of a youth tried his luck at a traffic light in Southampton City centre!
josok   
Sun Dec 15 2013, 06:50pm
Member No: #1222
Thanks for the answers to questions i had but never asked. Autolock is on now, an don't like it. I'd rather take the chance of robbery then being stuck in a car with near to unbreakable windows if i need help from outsiders after some accident.
Which raises the next question: If the car is locked from the inside, will an airbag triggering incident release that lock? Is there any intelligence to discover that the car is in the water and locks should be released?
jacktherev   
Sun Dec 15 2013, 08:33pm
Yeah guys I'm aware of it all but I would rather have the doors locked auto that be robbed. It's just I don't remember to lock the doors and having it done automatically is a gift. No probe if one wants to get out just open the door.
smihaialex   
Mon Dec 16 2013, 08:44am
Member No: #1031
I also have autolock on, but as Josok so cleverly put it - this is a car with nearly unbreakable glass, so what to do if let's say you dive off into a river and the water cuts off the electricity and the doors are locked, and unlocking them or rolling down the windows doesn't work?!?

One solution would be to purchase and have at hand at all times one of those special glass breaking safety mallets - like the ones in busses and trains...

The other one, which Bear Grylls himself shows in one of his urban survival guides, is to take out the headrest out of its place and use the relatively sharp tip of its two support bars to break the windows...

But still, you only have like 30 seconds to release the seat belt and then get out of the car before it gets completely engulfed by water, and in all that panic, it's kinda hard to believe that anyone but a member of the SAS would have the presence to open up the glove compartment and use the special safety mallet, let alone take the headrest out and use it to break the windows...

Still, better to have some back-up solution, then to go out like feeling like a complete fool

Cheerios,
Sam
drummond   
Mon Dec 16 2013, 07:04pm
Member No: #238
Reverend Jack, your wife likes the doors locked. In a Mehari???
jacktherev   
Mon Dec 16 2013, 07:08pm
She seldom travels in the Mehari I can say. It's usually in the summer that she will come with me to rally's. I've got to say she likes the Mehari and the 2CV.
Rettopian   
Tue Dec 17 2013, 11:11am
Member No: #1195
Can anyone throw light on the question raised about if the doors unlock automatically in the event of an accident?

I'd be interested to know.
e3steve   
Wed Mar 12 2014, 11:40pm
Member No: #1163
Most cars with OEM central locking will have an inertia switch which, in the event of an impact, signals the locking relay to unlock. This system goes back as far as the seventies; Renault cars certainly employed it. I once had an R16TX which definitely did. The reset button, on top of the inertia switch, was highlighted in the handbook.

The resetting is automatic nowadays, what with advances in electronics, etc.

Many manufacturers, Ford included, have/had a manual-reset inertia switch within the fuel pump circuit also.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club