Sammy's C6 nicknamed Jax

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
smihaialex   
Fri Nov 29 2013, 06:48pm
Member No: #1031
Hey David,

Thanks for your message. Well, 1st of all, I bought my C6 for just EUR 10,000, so I would have been a fool to think that you can buy a 6 year old car for 1/7 of what the original owner paid for it and not have to put some more meat into it, you know what I'm saying.

Also, you have to understand that most of the problems my car had, were not critical, in fact the only critical one was the coolant issue, and fixing that wasn't very expensive. Also the front right ball bearing was somewhat critical and the front ball and frip joints were even less so, but I changed them all, in pairs, not just the left or right ones that were shot, with brand new OEM parts, and even that wasn't expensive at all. We add the HP pump now and it still doesn't amount to more than a couple of thousand euros, OEM parts and labour included.

Everything else that I did - restoring the 17" alloys and fitting them with brand new winter tyres, getting brand new 18" alloys and fitting them with brand new summer tyres, 4 new alloy hub caps, 6 new TPMS sensors, 4 new LDWS sensors, LDS change, suspension pipe changes, steering pipe changes, automatic gearbox fluid change, brake fluid change, full timing belt kit change, full accessories belt kit change, front Xenon bulb changes, battery change, wipers change, steering wheel buttons change, accelerator pedal replacement, brake pedal sensor replacement, interior left hand side B-pillar trim replacement, A/C right hand kit replacement, auxiliary bulb changes and everything else that I did, probably cost three times as much, but I did for fun, and also because I could afford it, not because it was necessary...

Whether that makes me a true enthusiast or not, I don't know. It probably does

And I'm not saying it was easy, because it wasn't. My company couldn't afford to pay my sallary anymore, so this spring, I had to leave Bucharest for Berlin, where I found a new and somewhat decent paying job (even though it was less than what I previously had in Bucharest). Then, just a few short months later, I lost my father to cancer, so I decided to return to Romania, even though at the time there was no job waiting for me here. And I would be lying if I said that those hard times didn't make me question some of my car related expenditures (critical or not). But no man should let the hardest of times define who he or she really is. So I didn't. And now, the good news is that I have two decent job offers on the table (far from what I used to make, but still waaay better than nothing), so starting next week I will once again be a gainfully employed man, and after all that we've been through, I love my Six now more than ever, and would most likely do it all again if I had to (which hopefully I won't, though - fingers crossed! ). And if I wouldn't be writing these lines, I would probably be out and about, driving my awesome car somewhere.

Having said that, I will replace the broken taillight, I will change service shops and I will have the car inspected thoroughly, hoping to fix the rear-left AmVar actuator and all other outstanding issues, but if that once again turns into an odissey of unfortunate coincidences that turn out costing me one thousand euros or more, I will ditch it, and either get an almost new DS5, a brand new Hyundai i40 or a brand new Mazda 6. I mean, I love the car, I really do, and I am as true a Citroenista as anyone can ever hope to be, but I also realise that I can't just keep spending big chunks of my hard earned cash towards keeping it running...

I will weep the day I have to sell this car, for it is truly my dream car, but that's life, and sometimes that's why it's called a dream car...

And besides, have you seen the i40 or the new Mazda 6?!? They are both wonderful pieces of machinery... Legend has it that when seeing the i40 at the Frankfurt Motor Show, Ferdinand Piech himself said to his assistent: "Oh oh! The Koreeans have started making cars!!!"

Thank you for reading!

Sammy out.

PS: @David, it's not luck, it's just modern day engineering - I have an '06 built Six with 200,000+ Km on the clock, which despite my best efforts might just be approaching its end of life, while you have a '10 built Six with probably less than 100,000 Km on the clock, just entering its prime... I would be worried if it was the other way around
e3steve   
Sat Nov 30 2013, 11:57pm
Member No: #1163
smihaialex wrote ...

It's time to once again update my Six's thread...

There's still a couple of outstanding items... Three (3) to be more precise.

And 3rd and final, the problem regarding my left hand side front main beam has returned - if I enable the directional lights, it sometimes goes out and the computer reports it as a failed bulb. I initially thought it was an issue with a loose connection to the HID igniter, but I double and triple checked and that seems not to be the case...

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for reading.

Any feedback welcome.

Cheerios,
Sam
Ditto. Well, sort of.....:

My l/h main beam flips from hi to lo to hi again, predominantly when steering to the left. I had the bumper of and the r/h light out, last weekend, when fitting my new-secondhand C5 LDS pump motor; so I pulled the l/h light as well to inspect everything (that I could see, leastways). Checked all connections before nailing it all back in place, but the symptom persists.

Bummer....

I'll look into it in closer detail when the weather gets a bit warmer! :-/

Sam, you should check the cleanliness and lack of corrosion at the headlamp connector; or perhaps tug on individual wires where they enter said connector, just to prove that the conductors are fully intact and not broken within the insulation. If one feels stretchy, indicating that the conductor has parted, thus allowing the insulation to 'give', then that could be the issue.
smihaialex   
Tue Dec 10 2013, 11:45am
Been taking the time to enjoy my Six lately, focusing more on the experience as a whole and trying to change my mindset and learn to ignore the minor couple of things that aren't working.

I fear that in the past I've let my perfectionist side get the better of me, and focused too much on things that only have a marginal impact on the whole experience of owning and driving a C6, if any at all, and focused too little on just taking it all in and enjoying it...

Planing to change all that now, and not let the occasional niggle interfere with my ability to fully enjoy the fact that I get to own and drive one of the best automobiles ever built by mankind

Yours,
Sam

PS: I did order a replacement for the right hand side taillight, though (the one which I broke with my tennis racquet)
C6Dave   
Tue Dec 10 2013, 11:58am

Member No: #1
smihaialex wrote ...

PS: I did order a replacement for the right hand side taillight, though (the one which I broke with my tennis racquet)

Images of Basil Fawlty thrashing his car with a tree branch because it let him down spring instantly to mind
Website
smihaialex   
Tue Dec 10 2013, 09:34pm
Ha ha, very funny!

Actually it was a lot simpler and waaay more stupid than that... I was just playing tennis up to a wall behind my car and at one point a ball strayed away and was most likely going to lightly bump the right hand rear side panel of the car. Needles to say that my competitive side got the best of me in thinking that if Roger Federer or Rafa Nadal or Andy Murray for that matter were in the same situation, they would never allow a stray ball to hit their cars, so I lunged for it, miscalculated my swing and hit the taillight with the racquet instantly breaking it into pieces

Bottom-line, I broke a 150 £ taillight while trying to prevent a 0 £ incident :P

Sam
C6Dave   
Tue Dec 10 2013, 09:39pm

Thanks for clarifying Sam, you have everyone on sites sympathy for that one.
Website
smihaialex   
Wed Dec 11 2013, 09:09pm
Thank you Dave! I appreciate it.

Now, let me share something with you guys...

Before owning and driving my C6, I've never actually driven any other big Citroën, nor any other car equipped with an adaptive suspension - hydropneumatic, oleopneumatic or any other kind for that matter. I also hadn't driven any other car powered by a V6 engine, let alone our pretty exotic twin-turbo Diesel V6...

So, naturally, sometimes, without having a benchmark to rely on I fell pray to my own suspicions... I mean, I loved how my engine sounded, but all this talk of engine noise made me wonder - is my C6's engine too noisy?!?

Then, the same with the Hydractive suspension - sure, I love my C6's suspension, especially since the CSS software update, but still there are definitely things that Citroën could have improved further - I think it's good, but it's not perfect, nothing is... So then when all these suspension subjects popped up, I couldn't help but wonder - is my suspension good - should I maybe change the spheres?!?

Well, I'm happy to report that this evening, for the first time, I had the chance to drive another C6 for a very short but relevant period of time...

The conclusion?!?

My Six is in a pretty awesome shape. Engine-wise, suspension-wise and everything in between-wise

So, I'm pretty happy about that,
Sammy
C6Dave   
Fri Dec 13 2013, 12:04am

'Reading' online forums can be very positive, but can also be the opposite Sam.

If in any doubt about your cars characteristics check it against another of similar age/mileage and 9 times out of 10, yours will be better than the comparison

Just drive and enjoy it
Website
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club