C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Ice / USB Box / Telephone problems

[moved] Telephone in C6

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
jacktherev   
Wed Nov 20 2013, 05:10pm
Member No: #1423
I've got my C6 home and what a car! I have been looking at all the nice things in her and was hoping to use the phone system. I am wondering how other C6 owners manage with their mobile phones. I contacted O2 thinking I could get another SIM with the same number for my iPhone and put my present SIM in the C6 so that I have all the contacts etc while in the car. I've been told its impossible. I don't want 2 numbers. Would like to hear how others manage it.

Jacktherev
C6Dave   
Wed Nov 20 2013, 06:53pm

Member No: #1
Been covered before in these forums.

IF you really need to have a phone in the car, best thing to do is get a cheap pay as you go sim (I have a Tesco 'Sim Only' one)to use in the car and redirect your handset to the new number when travelling.

You can use your existing sim to import the numbers into the phonebook prior to installing the new sim.

In my case no one has the car number and it's only used to contact my wife/vice versa when she is in the car alone and home later than expected.

I just ignore my mobile/let it go to message when I'm driving. Nothing is really that important that you need to be taking calls when driving, is it?
Website
Tjensen   
Wed Nov 20 2013, 07:09pm
Member No: #954
The C6 is flexible, I have double SIMs, one in the car, and it works perfect with contact list/SMS etc. But telecompanies in UK have different practice regording SIMs ?
cruiserphil   
Wed Nov 20 2013, 08:37pm

Member No: #38
We use the Tesco sim only pay as you go for the same purposes as C6 Dave. Works grand!

Regards,

Phil C.
smihaialex   
Wed Nov 20 2013, 09:25pm
Member No: #1031
I do the same as Phil & Dave, I have a prepaid SIM card in the car and I redirect my phone to that number when traveling, and I only gave it to important family members so they know who it is when I call them from the car, using the voice command.

Regards,
Sammy
jacktherev   
Wed Nov 20 2013, 09:38pm
Folks this has been most helpful to me and I appreciate you all taking the time to reply. I'll go to tesco and get a Pay as you Go Sim and follow your instructions. Thanks and cheers.

Jacktherev
jacktherev   
Wed Nov 20 2013, 09:47pm
C6 Dave. I am not all that computer literate and was wondering if it's difficult to import the the numbers on my iPhone and then install the Tesco SIM. Sorry for troubling you. This site is fantastic and I've found it so helpful.
smihaialex   
Wed Nov 20 2013, 10:07pm
Member No: #1031
If your iPhone is not network locked, then you can insert the tesco sim inside, go to Settings -> Contacts -> Copy all contacts to sim and then take the tesco sim out of the iPhone and place it in the car... Just beware that the iPhone takes a micro or nano sim, depending on the model, while the C6 takes the regular size sim, so don't throw away the adaptor cutaway card

Cheers,
Sammy
jacktherev   
Wed Nov 20 2013, 10:14pm
Sammy now you are getting very technical. I don't know what Sim my iPhone has but I will talk to Tesco and see what happens and I will follow your instructions. Thanks for your help its much appreciated.

Cheers,

jacktherev
verycleverman   
Wed Nov 20 2013, 11:31pm
Member No: #65
Just another point to raise; as I mentioned when this subject came up a couple of years ago, the beauty of the Tesco PAYG sim is that you can opt for the Lite User tariff; this makes all calls 8p a minute, plus, the credit doesn't have a time limit. I seldom use my mobile but my wife and daughter, who also use Tesco Mobile, have their sims as well as the car's registered to my phone. Tesco have a feature called 'ping me a pound' which allows any phone registered to the master to call up £1 of credit. This way, I top up my phone and they top up theirs from my credit.

Pete.
mark28   
Thu Nov 21 2013, 08:09am
Member No: #102
I am with Orange. When I turn my handset off it diverts automatically to the car . All on the same number
C6Dave   
Thu Nov 21 2013, 08:51am

Member No: #1
jacktherev wrote ...

Sammy now you are getting very technical. I don't know what Sim my iPhone has but I will talk to Tesco and see what happens and I will follow your instructions. Thanks for your help its much appreciated.

Cheers,

jacktherev

Ask Tesco if they can move the contacts over to the new sim. At my local '3' store they had a little card device that let you transfer stored contacts from a normal sim to the 'micro' sim used in the iPhone and vice versa
Website
e3steve   
Thu Nov 21 2013, 09:57am
Member No: #1163
UK Orange, I believe, allow two SIMs on one number. It's just a shame that 1800mHz-frequency band networks are pathetic when it comes to their ability at building penetration!

I opted for GiffGaff PAYG SIMs. Like Tesco Mobile, they're the 900mHz band and utilise the O2 network. Call diverts, along with all voice calls, are free between GiffGaff handsets. The only downside is that Goodybags (minutes credit) only last a month; although GG to GG calls remain free as long as one tops up every three months.

It was easy when I lived in Spain, as both Vodafone ES and Movistar will provide a 'second SIM' on the same number (contract only) for an additional €3/month.
magicands   
Thu Nov 21 2013, 05:28pm
Member No: #1021
I use a Pay as you go sim.
You can get extra sims with the same number in Europe but not in the UK which is a pain in the [%*^#@!] really.
Love the phone in the car though, reception is great and clarity of sound is superb.
Only downside is I cant check the balance so guess & have to top up from time to time
Website
darrell   
Thu Nov 21 2013, 07:29pm
Member No: #699
I use giffgaff too. If you don't use it enough to warrant buying a "goody bag" (a package which can include minutes/texts/data traffic), you can just buy credit, and set it to automatically top-up when it falls below a certain level.

If anyone wants a SIM, it pays to get a current giffgaff member to have one sent to you, as you'll get £5 free credit, and the member gets £5 as well.

The call rates are very good.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club