C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Extended Warranty

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Snowy20   
Fri Oct 25 2013, 10:28am
Member No: #976
I have just had the Citroen reminder to look at renewing my warranty after my approved used warranty expires next month. Quoting £390 which I thought wasn't too bad these days. Had price match quotes now from independent extended warranty suppliers after they started at £499 - who have also reminded me their cover includes wear and tear and diagnostics. Just wondered what other owners views are currently about the value of these products. Thanks David
C6Dave   
Fri Oct 25 2013, 11:26am

Member No: #1
There expensive if you don't claim, but can save a fortune if you do

There is never a right or wrong answer on should I get one or not I'm afraid.

It all depends how confident you are in the car plus bear in mind that the 2.2 HDi is less complex than the 2.7/3.0's

Maybe 'Drummond' can give you an indication of how his 2.2 has fared over the years and how much work has been required.
Website
dsharples   
Sat Oct 26 2013, 03:53pm
Member No: #119
I did take up the Citroen offer recently. It's the last time I will be able do so... it will take my C6 to 7 years old, and probably 80k+ miles, so thought I couldn't grumble given the "history"...
C6Pilot   
Sat Oct 26 2013, 09:14pm
Member No: #1068
I just renewed mine, same situation since next year the car will not qualify on age grounds. In the past year I have had the water pump replaced and I think that was about £500, I also had some mad lights attended to. I routinely had brake failure etc warnings. One day one of them was an actual failure and not a sensor failure. On balance I am ahead so didn't mind paying for another year. I had the ball joints replaced at the Citroen dealership when they said the car failed MoT. Don't know if that should have been covered. Am investigating.
Ped   
Sat Oct 26 2013, 10:05pm
Member No: #82
C6Pilot wrote ...

I had the ball joints replaced at the Citroen dealership when they said the car failed MoT. Don't know if that should have been covered. Am investigating.

Mine weren't (Citroen Warranty at the time) - the old 'wear and tear' excuse.
speedfix   
Sun Oct 27 2013, 08:21am
Member No: #1043
Ball joints are classed as a serviceable items so are not covered on the extended warranty.
Dan595   
Mon Oct 28 2013, 06:02pm
Member No: #299
My 2006 2.2 Exclusive is coming up to 7 years and 120,000 miles.

It was warranted by Citroen for the first 5 years (I bought it at 2 years/5K miles and got them to throw in an extra 2 years extended warranty).
I had several things replaced under the Citroen warranty (including wing mirrors, a/r/b drop links, ball joints - I didn't even ask for the mirrors and think I was very lucky with the ball joints, I have a very friendly main dealer).
For the last 2 years she's been covered by a 'lifetime' Autoguard warranty, which has paid out for a new window regulator, an aircon condenser, and a repair to a blown dashboard binnacle. Autoguard don't quite cover the hourly labour rate my dealer charges, but the dealer was very surprised they paid out for the condenser - they said most warranties wouldn't cover it.

If I'd been paying £500/year for the warranty for the last four years, I think I'd be down on the deal (if we leave out the mirrors - they could have just lubricated them). But not by much. As such I paid nothing for the Citroen warranty and the lifetime one was £389, so I'm definitely up on that deal.
gmerry   
Tue Oct 29 2013, 08:26am
Member No: #21
On the subject of failed ball joints, I would make the argument that the lower suspension joint is not a ball joint at all but a FRIP joint. Furthermore, wear is not caused by normal wear and tear but is a design issue - therefore Citroen as the manufactuer should be fitting the bill.

By the way, I registered this argument with VOSA, its on record. Furthermore they have the same complaints on file with the Pug 407.

Regards
G

PS, my dealer tried to charge me for a replacement FRIP joint even before the 3 year warranty had expired!!!
drummond   
Tue Oct 29 2013, 08:50am
Member No: #238
I've had the usual stuff fail, the most expensive was the aircon condenser. The garage had to put in the Citpug replacement, although they said that there is an aftermarket one which ís much better and half the price.

The next thing is the ball joints, and my garage know my feelings on this- adequately explained by gmerry above.

I kind of look at the £39 a month as an upfront payment on the things that will (not may)go wrong with the car- and at the moment I'm in front by about £400. When it's seven years old, Í shall have tó review it, but by then I might get the DS to be reliable....

Tim
speedfix   
Tue Oct 29 2013, 08:06pm
Member No: #1043
"On the subject of failed ball joints, I would make the argument that the lower suspension joint is not a ball joint at all but a FRIP joint"

Yes I am guilty of calling it a lower ball joint on public forums as most will know the terminoligy of such.

The correct term is of course Fonction Rotulant Inferieure Pivot,
however under Vosa on the VTD it is named and classed as a swivel joint.

It has to have excessive wear for RFR.

The units can be replaced in a short time without the need to take the complete hub off!

Of course the real name is bottom roller joint.

A clever design for the suspension workings but not with rough roads and the speed humps.

When a grease nipple is fitted and the use of a high load water pump grease
and greased every 3000 miles.

IMO the need of replacement SWIVELS is rarely needed.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club