Take off Speed?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Dekidex   
Fri Oct 25 2013, 12:29pm
Member No: #1471
Hey Guys...
I noticed before that when I tried to get out of an intersection that my car really lags!!
I stepped on the throttle and the Car takes of with minimal speed until the Rpm reach about 2000 then it will go...
I am talking about 2 second delay till it comes to that push back in the seat feeling...

So for example...I am in D or S it don't matter give it full throttle, the Car reacts with laziness till about 2000 rpms and then it finally hauls...????

I just got the Car so I am not familiar with it and if it's normal...
If it is normal than that's really bad for a car with 2,7 L also dangerous.

The skoda 2,0 D that I drive hauls a** when I push the throttle?I feel confident enough to get out of an intersection in a daily traffic???With the C6 that is not the Case..

Is this normal?

TIA

Dean
smihaialex   
Fri Oct 25 2013, 01:00pm
Member No: #1031
Hey Deki,

It's absolutely normal, but you should take a couple of things into consideration:
- 1st, the car is waaay heavier than an Octavia (I'm guessing that's what you meant by Skoda 2.0 TDI), which is about the same weight as a Golf And even if you meant Superb, it's still 200 Kg lighter...
- 2nd, it's also about the gearbox (you don't have an autobox in the Skoda, right, or if you do, it's a dual-clutch DSG autobox, which is waaay faster than a classic hydramatic autobox like the one on the C6)
- 3rd and most important, both the engine and the auto gearbox have adaptive ECUs, meaning that they get used to the way you drive and adapt. So, if you drive calmly for miles and miles and then reach a roundabout, you might notice some slow reaction times from the engine and the auto gearbox, but if you push the car a lil' bit, then reaction times vastly improve

In my experience, the 2007 C6 2.7 HDi V6 6-speed Auto weighing in at about 2,100 Kg w a full tank of gass and driver and boasting some 190 BHP (dyno) is still way more responsive and smoother than my former 2010 BMW 5 Series 2.0 d 7-speed Auto weighing in at about 200 Kg less than the 6 (all things considered) and boasting 177 BHP (dyno)...

Cheers,
Sam
Dekidex   
Fri Oct 25 2013, 03:37pm
Thank you for the reply.

It makes sense what you have said...
I remember doing a Throttle reset on my 7 Series
Key in ignition on position 1
Press the gas pedal slowly till kick down
Hold for about 10 secs.
Slowly release
Turn the ignition off
Start the Engine et Voila...now the ECU learns fresh from the Start...

You think it is the same with the C6?

Once again thank you

Cisco   
Fri Oct 25 2013, 06:51pm
Member No: #1429
Hi Dekidex,

I don't feel the C6 is particularly sluggish to pick up from a standstill, especially if you have the box in Sport mode.

I've only had my car a few weeks so it's not a case of me growing used to it.

I would have your car checked out as there may be an issue causing the hesitation.

Best regards,

Frank

smihaialex   
Fri Oct 25 2013, 08:53pm
Hey Deki,

My pleasure

About the Six's throttle reset procedure, I have no ideea, but what I know is that a software update resets the ECUs (but you can only do that in a Service Shop).

However, my personal method for whenever I feel that I've been driving too smooth and the car is getting lazy, is to just shove it in sport mode and do a lil bit of city driving, Need for Speed style. Sure, the mileage goes down the drain, but the car learns its lesson.

But I totally agree with you - whenever, I find myself doing a lot of out of the city driving and the traffic is light so I get to drive very smoothly, whenever I hit a roundabout or an intersection, and I have to slow down and take off again, the car does seem lazy sometimes, and it kinda takes you by surprise, because it drives so well at speeds...

But I console myself because still, it's way better than my previous Beemer, and over time I've gotten used to this - I've realised that the Six is not a high performance or sports car and learned to manage its laid back and relaxed style better, and I'm sure so will you

Still, I wonder if that also happens sometimes with the 3.0 HDi V6 version?!?

Cheerios,
Sam
BruceB   
Fri Oct 25 2013, 09:06pm
Member No: #234
As Cisco and smihaialex have both said, Sport mode is your one true friend. In the early days of ownership, I was caught out more than a couple of times by the C6's appalling turbo-lag, as the car ambled lazily into traffic while traffic was beaming down on me like enemy fighters swooping out of the sun. Now, if ever I'm waiting at a junction I drop my finger onto the Sport button and ... whooosh!

e3steve   
Fri Oct 25 2013, 11:35pm
Member No: #1163
BruceB wrote ...

As Cisco and smihaialex have both said, Sport mode is your one true friend. In the early days of ownership, I was caught out more than a couple of times by the C6's appalling turbo-lag, as the car ambled lazily into traffic while traffic was beaming down on me like enemy fighters swooping out of the sun. Now, if ever I'm waiting at a junction I drop my finger onto the Sport button and ... whooosh!

Yup. Pretty much the same here. One just needs to be ready to be on the pedal early. Anticipation is paramount. Take-off isn't exactly tyre-shredding, but mine does blink the ESP warning if the surface is anything except perfect, grippy blacktop!
dsharples   
Sat Oct 26 2013, 03:45pm
Member No: #119
This is normal, and a common issue with the 2.7 Ford AJD-V6/PSA DT17, both in the C6 and the Jaguar S-Type and XF where it was also used.

I'm told its the combo of turbo-lag and torque-converter spin-up.

A Jag insider told me they minimized the issue with the 3.0 XF by providing some integration between the ECU's - I'm unsure if Citroen did something similar with the 3.0 HDi?

My solution is to leave a larger gap in front at roundabouts, and gently caress the throttle/or release the brake and get the car gently moving (or let it creep) when it looks like gap may appear, and then gun it when it does. I find this works wonders to minimize the problem.

(Incidentally my wife hates it - and also claims its dangerous - her C220 CDi Sport Coupe torque-converter auto launches off the line like a rocket-ship for a diesel - but it has had Brabus breathe over it, has the sport suspension/tyres, and is only around 1600kg)
Dekidex   
Sat Oct 26 2013, 04:49pm
I am suite that this is the only thing that sucks a** on this Car.
Otherwise i Feel Great driiving it...

What i dis before is power Breaking at Stand still.
Left foot on brake pedal slightly bringing the rpms up with my right foot and release the brake pedal...works great.

I will also try it with this.
- Click Here -

See if it makes a difference...

I also think this is dangerous, the delay is makes you think twice about entering an intersection in mild traffic,..
magicands   
Sat Oct 26 2013, 04:59pm
Member No: #1021
The slow take off is down to Turbo lag which I assume come it at around 2000rpm, you get used to it but at first it can be deadly as you are not expecting such a delay!!
Website
C6Dave   
Sat Oct 26 2013, 05:05pm

Member No: #1
Turbo lag is not an issue on the 3.0HDi but the torque converter needs to spin up if the engine is at idle
Website
speedfix   
Sun Oct 27 2013, 08:15am
Member No: #1043
IMO if you need to be in full control of the C6 with startling low speed take off get the 6speed manual 2.2 hdi twin turbo [one unit].
DMF will handle the torque.
Tjensen   
Sun Oct 27 2013, 02:35pm
Member No: #954
I have no experience with the 2,7 and was not use to automatic before the 3,0Hdi replaced the XM V6. And it is a slow powerful glider and somtimes waiting too long to respond. The sport button makes it better and probably small agressive trips also. Autobahn in Germany needed sport mode to feeel in control at high speed active driving with the other active highspeed drivers. fast and very controlled. In town I think I am fooled by relative lack of noise and nothing do to but wait. In the XM I clutched and geared and listened to the engine noise and even wheels slipping (no ESP) Have anyone tested the real-life acceleration times on the C6 ?
smihaialex   
Sun Oct 27 2013, 08:30pm
I think real life acceleration is close or possibly even better than official figures (I know for a fact that the actual top speed is higher than the official figures), but there's that small amount of time - 1 second or less when the car does nothing, even though your foot is heavy on the throttle, and again, I absolutely agree with Dave in thinking I that it has more to do with the torque converter inside the auto gearbox, than with turbo lag, and I also agree w Tjensen in that I also feel I need sport mode on longer out of city trips in order to feel in control, especially since there are not so many miles of highway in Romania, so one needs to do a lot of overtaking if one doesn't want to be caught behind slow traffic

Cheers,
Sam
drummond   
Tue Oct 29 2013, 08:59am
Member No: #238
I think that this topic has surfaced before!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club