C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Knock-knock?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
magicands   
Sat Aug 24 2013, 05:30pm
Member No: #1021
Just as I thought I had been given a break from C6 failures I have today encountered another.
When on full RIGHT hand lock and moving off from stationary I get a SINGLE KNOCK from either the Front OS or NS wheel area.
Car then drives perfectly with no more noises, no wondering & no issues when moving

As this could be many things I thought it best to ask here as my car goes in for an MOT on Wednesday next and it could be useful to get the problem resolved at the same time but any thoughts from anybody here would be useful.
I assume this problem has been covered in another thread but I was unable to find it?
Website
C6Dave   
Sat Aug 24 2013, 05:58pm

Member No: #1
Your making an assumption that someone else has had a similar problem..............
Website
magicands   
Sat Aug 24 2013, 10:51pm
C6Dave wrote ...

Your making an assumption that someone else has had a similar problem..............

Well normally when I ask a question I find that it has been covered on another thread so I pre empted that fact with this message.
I take it then that it has not and I am the first to post in which case nobody else will reply with a definitive answer?
Website
Tjensen   
Sun Aug 25 2013, 08:39am
Member No: #954
Not unsual to have a (small) knock when starting from parked from the BACK of the car if parking brake has been in use while parking for some days. My garage made it almost go away... (making more room in the mechanism and lubricating ?). Knock on full turn might be also early warning of driveshaft wear.
e3steve   
Sun Aug 25 2013, 09:27am
Member No: #1163
magicands wrote ...

C6Dave wrote ...

Well normally when I ask a question I find that it has been covered on another thread so I pre empted that fact with this message.
I take it then that it has not and I am the first to post in which case nobody else will reply with a definitive answer?
I get a similar knock -- just a single "donk" -- when parking outside my home, whereby I have to partially mount the kerb, in reverse. The noise, which is not particularly alarming, manifests itself when doing so, and again, just once, when driving forward and the front wheel dismounts the kerb.

I've not investigated yet, as it's the same both sides and has always been present under the same conditions. I shall look into it further when I replace my front brakes, in due course.
gmerry   
Sun Aug 25 2013, 07:27pm
Member No: #21
Mine occasionally does this if I park in particular space at work (I suspect the FRIP joint allows some vertical play).

Regards
G
BruceB   
Mon Aug 26 2013, 10:04am
Member No: #234
e3steve wrote ...
I get a similar knock -- just a single "donk"
Ah well, in the perceptive words of Crocodile Dundee, "Everyone needs a Donk".
magicands   
Mon Aug 26 2013, 11:05am
BruceB wrote ...

e3steve wrote ...

That made me laugh out loud......thanks, you made my day.
Website
e3steve   
Mon Aug 26 2013, 12:31pm
Member No: #1163
I thought that might raise a smile. Or even any eyebrow.....
Rich   
Mon Aug 26 2013, 02:20pm
Member No: #542
I had this on my old C6. Not every time I pulled off but if i dismounted a kerb slowly or had the steering on full lock while I pulled off, then I would get a single knock. It turned out to be the drivers side front ball joint.. Something i fully expect to be replacing many times with my new C6 as they are known for being problematic. It may not be your issue though but worth having them checked all the same.
gmerry   
Mon Aug 26 2013, 06:58pm
Member No: #21
Rich, get grease zerks fitted to the front ball joints, get them greased every 6 months and there should be no reason for them to be replaced many times.

Regards
G
diyjoke   
Sun Oct 27 2013, 02:59am
Member No: #354
I've got the dreaded noise too. It's been checked out twice now by Citroen and passed the MOT with it but they say there's nothing wrong. There is one place where I can drive it when it makes a horrible metal on metal clonk (donk?) and occasionally when pulling off or braking. Unfortunately I can't get the car to demonstrate this routinely.

I'm pretty sure it's what has been highlighted here but what can I do? Is there any garage recommended that could reliably investigate this without taking it all apart?

I used another Citroen garage nearby (but can't go back there after other problems) and they quickly identified a - can't quite remember - a steering arm, maybe suspension arm. I can't really remember the noise being a symptom on that occasion but it scrubbed a tyre quite dramatically.

They've quoted a lot of money to strip it down to investigate the part I want checked out and a lot of money to put it back together again. I've got an after market warranty which covers wear and tear, so hopefully the bushes would be covered(?) but nothing is going to be replaced/repaired if they can't find anything wrong with it.

It's beyond my technical capabilities to take it apart and 'see' what's wrong.
Any advice, please?
Regards,
Martin
speedfix   
Sun Oct 27 2013, 08:48am
Member No: #1043
IMO don't think because it passed the mot that it is ok, the mot is checked to minimum standards, slight movement can pass if detected.
Advisorys can be given.
Get the car to to a garage that has shaker plates this will soon show up any problems.

smihaialex   
Sun Oct 27 2013, 08:15pm
Member No: #1031
magicands wrote ...

BruceB wrote ...

e3steve wrote ...

That made me laugh out loud......thanks, you made my day.

Me too

Cheers,
Sam

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club