C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Citroen C6 MOT failure rate statistics.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Tue Oct 22 2013, 10:50pm
Member No: #21
Only advisories were for engine cover and undertray obscuring inspection.

Regards
G
drummond   
Wed Oct 23 2013, 07:01am
Member No: #238
My 1939 Light 15 passed with the engine cover and undertray obscuring inspection. Upon enquiry (!) I was told that "they all dó that, Sír".

Tim
C6Dave   
Wed Oct 23 2013, 07:21am

Member No: #1
drummond wrote ...

My 1939 Light 15 passed with the engine cover and undertray obscuring inspection. Upon enquiry (!) I was told that "they all dó that, Sír".

Tim

What engine cover and undertray!

Sounds like they have programmed the system already for some future change to the MOT regime if it's true Tim.
Website
speedfix   
Wed Oct 23 2013, 07:09pm
Member No: #1043
The tester is simply covering their back. If there is testable items that the 1939 car could fail on that cannot be seen by design etc, so by saying the engine bay is obscured they are saying that they have been unable to fully inspect the car.
As with the C6 and many other cars etc, advisorys undertrays and engine covers now hide other wise testable items such as fuel pipes brake pipes.

On my car I have the added advisory for the second year of very slight movement on the inner rack joint, still the same as last time, have put it down to some time in its past history prolonged use with a wheel out of dynamic balance.
speedfix   
Wed Oct 23 2013, 08:00pm
Member No: #1043
[My current one has passed with no advisories but is due again at the end of November and it will be interesting to see the outcome at 5 years old..... ]

I suppose in that case you have removed the engine cover an undertray yourself before submitting vehicle for MOT, otherwise the plot will have thickened!
e3steve   
Sat Mar 08 2014, 10:30am
Member No: #1163
Certificate refused for mine, yesterday. "Bottom swivels" excessive play.

"Don't know why they used that type. Peugeots fail on them as well; they're notorious for it! All the rust around them is a bit of a giveaway" was the comment....
jacktherev   
Sat Mar 08 2014, 12:25pm
Member No: #1423
sorry to hear that e3steve its most disappointing. It's good to know though and it's something I'll look out for.
e3steve   
Sat Mar 08 2014, 09:44pm
I bought this kit today; nailing it in place next weekend.

I'm working on the assumption that, at 94,000 miles, the rest of the sheboodle will be pretty worn also, so whilst I'm getting down & dirty I might as well go the whole 324 inches

I'll long-term report on the quality (it's not SKF!). At that money I shan't be complaining if it only lasts a couple of years. I'll also be carrying out Speedfix's "grease nipple mod" during surgery.

Watch this space.....
gmerry   
Mon Mar 10 2014, 03:00pm
Member No: #21
Steve, those are horrible, will have the wrong geometry and lead to increased loading or the joints working loose (possibly dangerous). The Frip joints only really have one failing and that is the sealing, which you are addressing with the grease nipple mod.

Regards
G

By the way, Eurocarparts had proper SKF units available at the same price!!!
e3steve   
Wed Mar 12 2014, 04:51pm
gmerry wrote ...

Steve, those are horrible, will have the wrong geometry and lead to increased loading or the joints working loose (possibly dangerous). The Frip joints only really have one failing and that is the sealing, which you are addressing with the grease nipple mod.

Regards
G

By the way, Eurocarparts had proper SKF units available at the same price!!!
Scheisse!

I read the update about the FirstLine versions being "proper" with the locator barbs, but these seemed to be quite good value compared to all the others I found online.

I can send this kit back with just the cost of return shipping. I'll check the quality when I collect the package tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads-up, G!
e3steve   
Tue Mar 18 2014, 12:54pm
Update, G: I fitted the FRIPs on Saturday, as I only had 10 days to re-present the car for the free re-test.

I checked the kit out very thoroughly, comparing and measuring, with a Vernier, the FRIPs along with the OEM SKF items side-by-side. These new ones aren't so bad after all. The locating ridges are (reasonably) present, they come with new high-tensile steel bolts, the roller bearings are sealed and good quality and the items line up perfectly.

I installed each with a grease nipple, as per speedfix's lead, and I reckon I'll never need to change them ever again.

Time will tell. The job is so easy I don't really mind if I need to change them out again in a year for two, though.

Food for thought?
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club