using iPhone in the new 2010 C6, RT5, 3.0l Diesel

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Gobxoy   
Wed May 30 2012, 05:56pm
Member No: #786
nevefresca wrote-

This is my first post as a new C6 owner (to be). I will be taking delivery of a new C6 at the end of June 2012 and I wanted to know is:

That will probabley be the last one UK RHD?

Mine was new 2nd April and didn't have the USB socket fitted, and Citroën UK said it had been deleted, but they aggreed to fit the lead.

- Click Here - it's in this thread and picture of how it looks on screen playing from USB, part number that will work if not fitted. Dealer could not get the Iphone to play music.

pclark
had the the USB box fitted to his 3.0hdi and removed it because it may the speakers pop, so you may want to check that out if you want to fit one?

James   
Sun Jun 03 2012, 12:57am
Member No: #817
Gobxoy wrote ...

- Click Here - it's in this thread and picture of how it looks on screen playing from USB, part number that will work if not fitted. Dealer could not get the Iphone to play music.

You can't play music over USB from the Iphone / iPod / Other Music player. Doesn't matter what you plug it into.

You can - with some devices - get whatever they are plugged into to see them as a generic storage device, and *IF* the host they plugged into understands their file format, directory structure and so forth - it reads the files and plays them - the conversion from file to sound goes on in the host. That's what the USB box does, but it's not a great UI. I can tell you from having the USB box on my first C6, it scours every nook an cranny of the storage device looking for sound files it would play MP3, WMA and OGG (a great laugh as my phone had music and Sat-Nav OGG files and between songs it would reel off "Take the first exit", "Take the second exit" - and it's lousy and skipping tracks when they're short), plus AAC and lord knows what else.
I think the native USB is more particular about what it will play (I got mine hooked up on Friday, and it works, but I haven't done a full test of what works and what does not).

The iPOD introduced a connector with a lot more than usual 4 USB pins and there are a host of after-market devices which use that connector to send commands in and get audio out. But whatever you're plugged into needs has to have both control and audio pathways and USB doesn't do that. It's theoretically possible to have software which knows how to send the commands, and have the device send back audio in digital form over USB (there are USB Mics and audio can travel over bluetooth so why not) But it reality it doesn't happen, and certainly not on the RT5

pclark   
Sun Jun 03 2012, 08:54am
Member No: #3
Gobxoy - I don't know where you got that from! I never had a USB Box on my C6, I did on my previous C5 but had no problems with it and it was still fitted when I traded in the car. There was no USB socket in the centre console either. As has been said this is never fitted to UK market cars for some reason despite being shown in the manual. I used my iPod connected to the RCA sockets in the glove box and the built in juke box which is easy to use and sounds very good but is tedious to get music on it by ripping and especially naming albums and tracks!
James   
Sun Jun 03 2012, 10:17am
pclark wrote ...

the built in juke box [is] easy to use and sounds very good but is tedious to get music on it by ripping and especially naming albums and tracks!

I'm a bit of a Windows PowerShell Guru, and now I have my USB working I have a PowerShell script which
1. Finds Music using the Windows 7 / Vista Index. (sorry if you're on XP , Mac, Linux or if the file format is not indexed by Windows. On Win7 you can go to the search box at the top right of explorer and type Kind:music whatever that finds, my script finds).
2. By default, ignores anything flagged as 1 star (Don't like). Default is to copy Unrated or 2+ stars
3. Coverts Non-MP3 formats that were found to MP3
4. Resamples MP3s which are higher than 192000 bits/sec to 128K
5. By default puts the files in the CD burning area, but is equally happy copying to a USB key.
6. Organises files by the Album-Artist embedded in the file (I found a small amount of tidying was necessary. e.g. "Elvis Costello" will end up in a different folder to "Elvis Costello and the attractions" - one can fix the file data or the move the files.)
7. Any artist with 1 or 2 tracks goes in a "Various Artists" folder
8. Names the files XX-TT-Name XX is a number representing the year and album and TT is the track number from the data embedded in the file (again a small amount of tidying up was needed) I found this is required because the files are played in file name order although the names displayed when playing come from inside the file.

I'm still fiddling with it (what else are long weekends for ? I want to make the folders MP3 resampling, and the selection criteria more customizable).
At some point I'm going to write this up for my blog, but it's part of a series so I'm happy to share it here if anyone wants it.
Gobxoy   
Sun Jun 03 2012, 10:47am
Member No: #786
Gobxoy - I don't know where you got that from! I never had a USB Box on my C6
Appologies to pclark

I had an e-mail saying that the USB box made their speakers pop on a 3.0Hdi, and "had it disconnected" not yours then.

James wrote:-
You can't play music over USB from the Iphone / iPod / Other Music player. Doesn't matter what you plug it into.

Thanks for that James, I never said that an iphone could be played via USB socket only "dealer was unable to".
James   
Sun Jun 03 2012, 12:17pm
@Gobxoy Not trying to put words in your mouth - just didn't want people thinking that being able to plug the phone in turns the car into a full on docking station for it
smorphet   
Sun Jun 03 2012, 04:58pm
Member No: #88
wrote ...

Gobxoy - I don't know where you got that from!

Maybe from me. I mentioned that I got a popping noise with the RT4 in my 2.7. Probably an installation issue that could have been solved, but I never really got on with the USB box so removing it altogether seemed like a simple solution. It made a few quid on eBay. Since then I've been very happy with a USB cable.

wrote ...
the built in juke box which is easy to use and sounds very good but is tedious to get music on it by ripping and especially naming albums and tracks!

The solution to the naming problem seems to be to do the ripping on a computer, using software that automatically adds ID3 tags to the MP3 files. These tags contain the track name data, etc. Like James suggests, a script or two can get everything into just the right format for the car. Then, just copy the files across and all the track names are preserved.

Steve.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club