C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Rear Spoiler won't go down

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Valleybuoy   
Mon Oct 14 2013, 08:39am
Member No: #1069
On way into work noticed that the rear spoiler hasn't gone down. (Seems half-way deployed).

The user manual says this indicates a problem - but there are no alert messages.

I turned car off - started up again, got up to 30 mph but still won't go down.

Any ideas? Could be another job needing doing on the Citroen warranty...(Had the OSF bush replaced 2 weeks ago).

Gareth
Trainman   
Mon Oct 14 2013, 10:14am

Member No: #86
Valleybuoy wrote ...

On way into work noticed that the rear spoiler hasn't gone down. (Seems half-way deployed).

The user manual says this indicates a problem - but there are no alert messages.

I turned car off - started up again, got up to 30 mph but still won't go down.

Any ideas? Could be another job needing doing on the Citroen warranty...(Had the OSF bush replaced 2 weeks ago).

Gareth

This is one of those things that we call a "Citroënism" I've had this happen on both the C6's I've owned, there is a little tricky that sometimes works, and that is to press the wiper stalk down within 60 seconds of turning the engine off, this puts the wipers and spoiler I to maintainence mode. Once you drive off the spoiler should return to normal. Flick the wiper stalk again with the engine running and they will return to park.

Having said that, it could be a piston that's sticking a little and there's a thread on here somewhere about that.
gmerry   
Mon Oct 14 2013, 10:33am
Member No: #21
Hi all, the "consensus" on rear spoiler problems is that the mechanism needs to be lubricated on a regular basis. If this is done, there should not be any problems. If it is stuck, stripping it down and lubricating the mechanism should fix the problems.

Regards
G
Valleybuoy   
Mon Oct 14 2013, 10:57am
I'll try Trainman's procedure on way home tomight .. I am hoping it slots back. Will update.
Valleybuoy   
Tue Oct 15 2013, 10:08am
So - fiddled with the wiper arm - after a mile the spoiler went down.

On way in today - went up/down on the Mway as normal - then got stuck again. The wiper trick cleared it. So intermittent.

Likely to be electronic vs mechanical? I'm going to investigate it and hope the Citroen Warranty covers (can't think why it shouldn't be - it's not wear and tear!).
magicands   
Tue Oct 15 2013, 11:38am
Member No: #1021
It needs lubricating with Feresol, give it a generous spray and that should cure it.
I'm not sure why you are not getting the warning on the dash though because when it sticks the alarm should sound automatically as its speed sensitive, eg, at 0mph the car should alarm if the spoiler is up and the engine is running.
Website
Valleybuoy   
Tue Oct 15 2013, 03:12pm
Magicands - thanks for the input.

Can I spray the Feresol around the piston arms without dismantling / breaking-down?

Gareth
C6Dave   
Tue Oct 15 2013, 05:58pm

Member No: #1
Valleybuoy wrote ...

Can I spray the Feresol around the piston arms without dismantling / breaking-down?

Gareth

Yes, as long as the spoiler is in the 'up' position so you need to 'park' it when you stop the car
Website
chrispg   
Thu Jul 09 2020, 07:17pm
Member No: #4247
So my spoiler is in the up position when parked up. I tried the wiper stalk option to put it in Park and then driving off. It resulted in the spoiler dipping back to horizontal at about 25/30 mph and then back up again where it stays. Any thoughts? The mechanism would seem to be moving OK - I lubricated it following advice above
Trainman   
Fri Jul 10 2020, 06:27pm

Member No: #86
You can manually wind down the spoiler, have a look at - Click Here -

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club