Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Suspension problems

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
adam   
Thu Sep 26 2013, 12:15pm
Member No: #999
Hi recently my suspension has started to drop at the rear immediately after switching the engine off. Also the engine has to be running before the suspension comes back up to the correct level rather than when just "bliping" with the keys. I know that there is a fault and will have to book the car into the dealer, but my questions are:
1 Is this going to be expensive to fix?
2 Is the car safe to drive?
3 Will drive damage the car further

Thanks
Adam
Tjensen   
Thu Sep 26 2013, 12:31pm
Member No: #954
I am not an expert, but after 30 years with hydraulic Citroens:

1 Impossible to say, i will guess not very expensive (valves, pump, wheel cylinders, spheres being the suspects)

2 Yes, difficult to imagine a reason that maks the care unsafe

3 No, probably no more wear than in a normal situation, just wrong flows for a reason or another. But check fluid level and that the pump is not running hard all the time.

travlician   
Thu Sep 26 2013, 02:52pm
Member No: #350
I had a problem similar caused by a sticking valve in the rear unit (the one with the two spheres). Cleaning the valve has helped (and is still good after almost two years) but the official Citroën remedy is replacing the entire unit. Is it dangerous? Yes if the car drops while driving as there is no rear suspension at that time and the clearance below the car is very tight. Mine did drop down while driving in the week before fixing it, but before that it just was slow in raising after starting (tended to drop on unlocking the car but not always). If you feel any pronounced bouncing while driving you better stop and see if you can get the car raised again before continuing. I just a piece of metal to tap the valve body in emergency and got the car to raise like that... I was glad it was fixed!
cruiserphil   
Thu Sep 26 2013, 09:59pm

Member No: #38
Adam,

I had a similar problem and it was Travlician's experience that helped me fix it. Have a look at this forum page Here, See what you think.

Regards,

Phil C.
magicands   
Sat Sep 28 2013, 06:20pm
Member No: #1021
My suspension does not rise with a "blip" of the key, the key has to be in the ignition and the ignition has to be on before it sits up!!
Website
C6Dave   
Sun Sep 29 2013, 07:44am

Member No: #1
magicands wrote ...

My suspension does not rise with a "blip" of the key, the key has to be in the ignition and the ignition has to be on before it sits up!!

Well your the odd one out again as mine rises as soon as you unlock the car......
Website
Trainman   
Sun Sep 29 2013, 03:09pm

Member No: #86
C6Dave wrote ...

magicands wrote ...

Well your the odd one out again as mine rises as soon as you unlock the car......

Mine does too.
Ped   
Sun Sep 29 2013, 05:21pm
Member No: #82
Ditto - although mine normally sinks slightly!
Tjensen   
Sun Sep 29 2013, 07:17pm
And mine- (checked today)Blip-whirr-slowly a few cm up. DS, CX, XM was faster with the engine running, but of course nothing happened before that. Turning off: a few cm down after some seconds. C5 probably as C6 ?

(Had to refill 0,7 liter a few weeks ago, the garage said it was normal: that LDS "disappeared" a little, probably through the steering.
speedfix   
Mon Sep 30 2013, 06:46am
Member No: #1043
Mine is ok, lifts a little to normal height once the car is unlocked with the mirrors folding back.
No suspension issues as yet.
The car in general has been outstanding.
Trip to portugal soon, taking the lap top lexia and auto data as this seems to work well with probs on PSA, may take the solus as well.
IMO multi meter is a must for pinpoint testing.
smihaialex   
Mon Oct 07 2013, 09:54pm
Member No: #1031
Hey @magichands, you are not alone - my car is the same - it sits up when key in ignition and half turned, not when unlocking...

Are we sure that this is a fault and not by design?!?

Maybe earlier cars were built like this - up on ignition, not on unlock?!?

Or maybe there's a setting for this accessible via Lexia/Diagbox only?!?

Thanks,
Sam
cruiserphil   
Tue Oct 08 2013, 07:16pm

Member No: #38
Well Sam,

Both of our cars are 2006 build and both run the suspension pump when you unlock to stabilise height. I always thought this was the idea to get around the delay with older models having to start the engine and wait for the car to rise? With the C6, the car has achieved height by the time you get into it for the quick getaway!

Regards,

Phil C.
dsharples   
Tue Oct 08 2013, 08:41pm
Member No: #119
Is there actually two things happening here. (1) When the car is unlocked, the car returns to a standard "reference height", and (2) When the key is turned in the ignition, the car moves to its proper self-leveling operation to "compensate" for the fact you are sitting it it etc.

I was told it only lowered when "parked" as a design aesthetic...
Tjensen   
Tue Oct 08 2013, 10:13pm
Yes, it is 2 steps. The lowering when locking is aesthetic, but I also heard that it is the right hight for stepping out and unloading.
smihaialex   
Tue Oct 08 2013, 11:23pm
Member No: #1031
Well, I see your point Phil

However, there could be another logic at work here - it lowers itself when turning off the ignition to help you get out of the car and also to help with unloading your luggage, right?!?

So then, wouldn't it make sense to stay down after unlocking to help you load your luggage and get inside the car, and only get back up on ignition, when presumably the luggage has been loaded and the passengers and driver are all aboard?!?

I'm not saying that this is right, I'm just thinking out loud...

However, exploring all the possibilities, if it were to be something wrong with my car, what would/could it be?!? Everything works well on demand (pressing the buttons takes the car to the desired height in a timely fashion). When ignition half turned, normal position is reached fast, with no noises or hesitation. Everything seems to be just fine. Are we sure there isn't a Lexia setting on this?!? Set to 'Bank Robber' on your cars, Phil, and to 'Shopping Housewife' on mine

Thank you,
Sam

PS: Mine also lowers when ignition off, not when locked
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club