Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Suspension system high pressure pump fuse location...

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
e3steve   
Mon May 06 2013, 11:30pm
Member No: #1163
I searched and searched this forum, and Google, for the answer, but to no avail.

So here's the answer:

After pulling the front bumper and r/h headlamp I connected my cable tracker's tone generator between the +ve (grey) wire and a grounding point. I then managed to probe for the tone all the way around the engine bay. With the ignition key 'on' the tone was more apparent within the harness, albeit faint near the underbonnet fusebox. This indicates that there's a relay which interrupts the pump's main +ve supply.

Removal of the fusebox, once the main battery feed was removed from the stud, revealed a series of hidden fuses tucked underneath it and, it would appear, for Citroën-trained eyes only!

These fuses are the higher-current, jumbo variety of the blade type; and the HPP fuse is a 40 Amp. Mine had wilted, not exploded with a "short circuit" pop, so I suspect that the pump may occasionally be drawing excess current for some presently-inexplicable reason..

I don't have any of these big boys (yet, but rest assured I shall be stocking up!), so I've grafted a temporary fuseholder on a pair of tails and left it dangling out of one if the apertures in the fusebox casing; this way I can monitor the situation for further fuse-blowing escapades.

Job done, for now..... Yay!
e3steve   
Tue May 07 2013, 07:06am
Oh, and the newest problem? I now have encountered a couple of jerky up-shifts from 3 to 4 (in normal auto mode).

Doh!
eduardomaio   
Tue May 07 2013, 08:26am
Member No: #869
Have you checked the car with Lexia to see if any errors are returned?
Website
C6Dave   
Tue May 07 2013, 09:29am

Member No: #1
e3steve wrote ...

Oh, and the newest problem? I now have encountered a couple of jerky up-shifts from 3 to 4 (in normal auto mode).

Doh!

Have the auto gearbox oil changed as it could be sticking electrovalves.

There is a thread on it and BTW Citroen do not make the gearbox so you can't blame them
Website
e3steve   
Fri May 10 2013, 06:16pm
C6Dave wrote ...

e3steve wrote ...

Doh!

Have the auto gearbox oil changed as it could be sticking electrovalves.

There is a thread on it and BTW Citroen do not make the gearbox so you can't blame them
No blame being apportioned in any direction, Dave ; and thanks for the info.

It seems to be behaving itself this week!

It underwent a full service, according to the records, 4k miles back; but one can't be sure how "full" that was of course. I'm aiming to change all fluids in the next month or so, just as a matter of course and for peace of mind.

cruiserphil   
Fri May 10 2013, 07:02pm

Member No: #38
e3,

I'll think you'll find transmission fluid is not on the service schedule at all! Lots of debate on the issue in this forum. Have a trawl through it. Conscensus is, it should be.

Regards!

Phil C.
e3steve   
Sat Aug 24 2013, 01:50pm
Update: I bought some maxi fuses of varying current handling: 40, 50 & 80Amp. I also brought out the fuse for the High Pressure Pump, using a pair of 6mm sq wires and the proper fuseholder, and mounted it externally of the underbonnet electrical box, simply using appropriately-sized crimp-on blades pushed into the vacated fuseway's receptacle slots.

I then replaced the 40Amp maxi fuse, like for like. It lasted two days before the OBC reported "Suspension fault: max speed 55mph". Yup, the 40Amp fuse had blown again.

That was about three months' ago. So I updated the fuse to a maxi-type 50Amp 'slow-blow' delay fuse, as I suspected that the pump motor's inrush current was causing the 40 to fail. The result is that the 50 hasn't succumbed to the pump's demand and remains intact, so the original 40 was right on its threshold. I'm wondering if the original 40 is under-spec'd.....

So far, so good!
C6Dave   
Sat Aug 24 2013, 04:28pm

Member No: #1
If your pump motor is constantly blowing the 40 amp fuses then it could be a faulty motor and all your doing is masking the problem.

The C4 suffers the same fate when the starter motor starts to fail, it blows the fuse. Put a higher one in and it starts OK for a while, but eventually the starter itself fails

You need to get the pump motor checked out properly.
Website
e3steve   
Sun Aug 25 2013, 09:42am
I shall look deeper into the problem if it gives me any further cause for concern, Dave. I regularly monitor the pump motor's current, every couple of weeks or so, with my clamp-meter; one of the reasons for externally mounting the fuse. The inrush current is always around 44-46 Amps, then settles between 15 & 20 depending on the load being placed by the hydraulics before the system is satisfied.
rogerandoutman   
Mon Oct 07 2013, 04:12pm
Member No: #466
After leaving my car at Gatwick valet parking for 5 days, by the time I got out of the multi story, I also got the suspension faulty 55mph max message and the service warning. Drove home round the M25 55miles odd. Examined the maxi fuse and it had blown. replaced with new fuse, this also blew after a couple of minutes, fitted a 50 amp and raised car to full hight, to change rear roll bar links yet again and fuse has not yet blown. I will also monitor to see if this higer rated fuse survives. IF not BBA-reman, do supply a C5 remanufactured pump for £275 plus vat, but I cannot find out if the pumps are interchangable. Has any on else changed their pumps and if so what is the procedure please? My car has only just got up to 48000 miles
Tjensen   
Tue Oct 08 2013, 02:47pm
Member No: #954
Is it possible that something in the suspension system is sticking/have high friction when it starts to move ? And thus making the "start from standstill" for the pump motor very hard (=close to shorting it= blow the fuse))
smihaialex   
Tue Oct 08 2013, 11:03pm
Member No: #1031
Yes, and that usually means that you need to replace the pump - I don't think it's the serviceable kind...

Sam
e3steve   
Fri Nov 22 2013, 01:19pm
Update: Dave, you're dead right!

And here's the upshot of the story....
adrianvp   
Mon Sep 14 2020, 01:28am
Member No: #704
Hi To all C6 owners. I also have had failures of the suspension pump and 40 amp fuse. I took the electric motor apart and discovered that the motor had a good amount of burnt oil in it I suspect that the seal between the motor and the pump fails, and lets oil into the motor which then has starting problems. I have used a 50 amp fuse as a temporary measure but can assure you that ultimately using it only delays failure.I bought a "White box" pump from Partacus in Germany but it as also now failed. I haven't disassembled it but I suspect the same problem

Questions

1. Does anyone have experience with BBA Reman's "remanufactured" pumps Are they "better than new" as they say?
2 There are very few C6s in Australia and not many C5s with the hydractive suspension.
I am looking for a second hand pump but a m unlikely to find one. Can any of you put me on to a breaker (as you seem to call them we call them wreckers) who has or at least might have a second hand pump,, hopefully at a reasonable price

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club