C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Tyre pressure monitors

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Mon Feb 04 2013, 02:44pm
Member No: #21
Hi all, the tooling required to remove a frozen corroded valve stem without destroying the sensor is just a special drill bit (10mm with a 4.2mm piloted tip).

The link to C4 Owners shows how it is done. - Click Here -

gmerry wrote ...

Hi, the mechanics guide recommends replacing the alloy stems, seals and inner valve core when the tyres are replaced. We all know of people that have had the valve fail in service (due to corrosion and fatigue) so this is probably good advice.

I've not had a lot of sucess with tyre fitters and servicing these valves. At the first tyre fitter, we agreed to just leave in situ because the fitter did not have the T5 screwdriver to under the screw that holds the aerial tag onto the stem.

At the 2nd place, we agreed that I would undo the stem nuts and basically because of the corrosion, the entire transmitter was destroyed.

A 3rd approach is to machine out the old stem. As per the photos, I used a 10mm counterbore drill bit which has a 4.2mm pilot. Drill Services of Horley suppplied this. - Click Here -

The Pilot prevents the drill slipping and marking your nice alloy wheel. The pilot also stops the swarf falling inside the tyre. The 10mm bit removes all the thread and then the transmitter will just fall back into the wheel without any damage.

Retrieve this as part of the tyre changing exercise and fit a new service stem and seal. I used a bit of WD40 on the bit to stop the aluminium welding itself to the bit.

Regards
G

smihaialex   
Tue Feb 05 2013, 09:52am
Member No: #1031
Ahhh... ok... mine were coroded just at the top so removing them was no problem whatsoever

But thanks for the tip - good to know!

Cheerios,
Sam
James   
Tue Jul 30 2013, 11:41am
Member No: #817
Just to bump this thread back. I had another sensor (rear, nearside) fail, at speed on Sunday (on a dual carriageway - no hard shoulder - lots of fast traffic).

Normal, to low pressure to Puncture reading in a couple of seconds, fortunately very near to a parking place where I could change the wheel. That's two high speed blowouts due to something which is known to be a problem. It does seem to me that these things are potentially dangerous and should be the subject of recall (and not just citroen other marques have the same sensors)

It's back with my local dealer who had tried to get all 4 replaced when the first ones went. Of course the car was in warranty then and is out of warranty now so he's leaning on Citroen for goodwill.
smihaialex   
Tue Jul 30 2013, 11:54am
Are your sensors the new ones, with supposedly better anti-corrosion treatment, or the old ones, known to be prone to this issue?!?

Thanks,
Sam
James   
Tue Jul 30 2013, 12:38pm
I don't know what treatment they've had, but my car was registered in 2010 with a ORGA date of late 2008. They have metal stems with a metal nut which causes galvanic corrosion. I believe the newer ones have rubber/plastic stems and so don't have this problem.
smihaialex   
Wed Jul 31 2013, 09:30pm
Newer ones are darker, like black anodised aluminium, while the older ones are a light shade of silver...

Cheerios,
Sam
James   
Thu Aug 01 2013, 08:42pm
In that case mine are the old ones.
smihaialex   
Fri Aug 02 2013, 09:09am
Well, maybe that explains it - make sure to get the new kind when replacing, and treat with a small film of lithium grease and you should be fine

Cheers,
Sam
gmerry   
Mon Aug 05 2013, 09:31am
Member No: #21
James, sorry to sound unhelpful but the valve stems are supposed to be changed whenever the tyres are replaced (and presumably you are not running on original rubber).

When ordering replacement valve stems, you will need to purchase from a fast turnover supplier to get the latest OEM anti-corrosion treatment. There is no change in part number, just Siemens "continuous product improvement".

I suspect Citroen dealers may have slow moving stock so would not purchase from them (also high prices). I have posted before that World Car Parts provides fresh stock with the improved anti-corrosion treatment.

The completely different design of sensor with a rubber / brass valve stem is not compatible with the C6 TPMsystem.

Regards
G

PS, the newer valve stem colour is just a tiny shade darker than the originals, certainly not black!!!
smihaialex   
Mon Aug 05 2013, 05:25pm
The valve is black, the stem is the same silver colour, and yes, you need the repair kit (incl. new stem, new washer, new valve and new cap) every time you take the sensors off the alloys, BUT...

1. You don't need to take the sensors off the alloys every time you change a tyre...
2. It's not the stem that gets corroded and breaks and causes the tyre to rapidly deflate, it's the valve itself, and Siemens doesn't sell just the valves

Cheerios,
Sam
James   
Tue Aug 06 2013, 01:38am
gmerry wrote ...

James, sorry to sound unhelpful but the valve stems are supposed to be changed whenever the tyres are replaced (and presumably you are not running on original rubber).

When ordering replacement valve stems, you will need to purchase from a fast turnover supplier to get the latest OEM anti-corrosion treatment. There is no change in part number, just Siemens "continuous product improvement".

I suspect Citroen dealers may have slow moving stock so would not purchase from them (also high prices). I have posted before that World Car Parts provides fresh stock with the improved anti-corrosion treatment.

The completely different design of sensor with a rubber / brass valve stem is not compatible with the C6 TPMsystem.

Regards
G

PS, the newer valve stem colour is just a tiny shade darker than the originals, certainly not black!!!

Actually the two that failed first time were the on the original rubber, and the car went through 55,555 miles this weekend and still has the original rears on it (it was one of those that blew).

I maybe misremembering from the but national tyres couldn't replace the valve stem, and the citroen dealer has replaced all 3 sensors not just the stems. The subject of changing stems alone hasn't come up in the 3 places where I have had tyres replaced.
smihaialex   
Tue Aug 06 2013, 11:27am
Hey, look, at this link - Click Here - you can see the complete sensor, as well as the repair kit contents - the image on the right, above VDO OE-Specific TPMS Replacement Parts

The repair kit also shows up in the Citroën Service web app, but again, it is only useful when fitting the same sensor a second, third... time to an alloy rim. So, if your sensors were damaged, they needed to be replaced themselves... It's normal that the repair kit didn't come up in conversation.

Cheers,
Sam
C6Dave   
Tue Aug 06 2013, 12:33pm

Member No: #1
James wrote ...

The subject of changing stems alone hasn't come up in the 3 places where I have had tyres replaced.

Well it won't as there is more profit in selling a whole replacement sensor.........
Website
smihaialex   
Tue Aug 06 2013, 09:53pm
Yeah, the repair kit retails for £7 aprox.

Sam
eduardomaio   
Mon Jun 16 2014, 10:14am
Member No: #869
I had to replace a sensor as well. My wheels where refurbished and one of the valve stems had almost no thread, but very little corrosion. Good weather helps.

A normal valve was put in place so I could use the car for the day. The valve was placed on the right rear tyre, but it was showing as missing in the display as the right front.

So, after buying a new valve from Citroën and installing it on the tyre shop, hooked up Lexia and I put the ID on the place of the right front tyre, even tough the new valve was installed on the right rear tyre.

Went for a small drive, all valves were showing as OK. Hooked Lexia again and the ID of the new valve was in the correct place, the system had corrected itself as it normally does when changing wheels from on place to the other.

In case this happens to anyone, no worries, just remember to printscreen or copy to someplace all the valve ID's shown by Lexia in case you make a mistake.
Website
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club