C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Re-painting central wheel inner inserts black

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Valleybuoy   
Fri Jul 19 2013, 03:04pm
Member No: #1069
Hi. Have seen some examples of C6 where the inner inserts of the alloys behind the chevrons is jet-black - whereas mine have gone pretty milky/white coloured. (Not sure if it's salt based). In new jet black I think they look great.

I've managed to prise out the inserts, (simple enough) however, can't remove the chevrons (without braking the clips holding them to the insert) to get to the base sphere to respray.

Any advice from anyone? And any thoughts on cost if I were to rebuy from Citroen, and is that even possible?

Thanks
C6Dave   
Fri Jul 19 2013, 03:50pm

Member No: #1
You can buy them, but as with anything on the C6, there not cheap.
Website
smihaialex   
Fri Jul 19 2013, 04:33pm
Member No: #1031
"Be vewy vewy caweful" and you won't brake more than one or two in the whole set, meaning that there will be enough left to put them back together

Cheerios,
Sam
Trainman   
Mon Jul 22 2013, 06:37pm

Member No: #86
Gareth,

I have done this and I think I have some photo's somewhere of how to do. I will have a look and post them for you.
Valleybuoy   
Thu Jul 25 2013, 03:39pm
Thanks for the input guys. Steve if you do dig out some photos - would love to see. I may have another "go"!
yorkxx   
Mon Jul 29 2013, 10:40am
Member No: #1005
I had a go at this, the main thing you have to be very careful with is the Chrome chevrons, they are sided, ie; top didn't fit the bottom and there are a lot of fiddley bits and clips, as said be careful.

Now you might want to know that the Citroen C2 Code has the same centers as the C6 even although the wheels are different, I thought they looked better too as they had shorter Chrome chevrons.
C6Dave   
Mon Jul 29 2013, 11:22am

Member No: #1
yorkxx wrote ...
Now you might want to know that the Citroen C2 Code has the same centers as the C6 even although the wheels are different, I thought they looked better too as they had shorter Chrome chevrons.

@yorkxx The C2 and C4 wheel centres possibly won't fit the C6 18" wheels as they are a different part number and 4 bolt pcd wheels not 5.......

For the C6 the part number is 5421 27 and they are £16.15 inc Vat each so that's £64.60 for a set of 4 currently from any UK Dealer (but will probably need to be ordered in)
Website
yorkxx   
Mon Jul 29 2013, 09:54pm
Member No: #1005
Hi Dave,

you may be right about the Nut position, I did place one against the C6 and it was the same outer size, it came from a friends C2 code 2008 that's how I know.

If he still has the C2 "it was for sale" I will take one off next time I'm there and try it, let you know how I do.

Cheers.
smihaialex   
Tue Jul 30 2013, 11:15am
Member No: #1031
Hey guys,

I think that regardless of the stud pattern, the inner caps are interchangeable...

Yes, it's true that by part number, the ones with small chrome Citroën logo chevrons at the center fit the 16" alloys on the C2, the 16" and the 17" alloys on the old C4 as well as the 17" alloys on the C6, while the full chrome chevron ones only fit the 18" alloys on the C6.

But in reality, I have successfully installed full chrome ones that only supposedly only fit the C6 18" alloys on C6's 17" alloys as well as the C4's 16" alloys, and I've also easily installed the ones that came with the C4 on the C6.

In fact, as we speak, my C4 rests on its 16" alloys, but with C6 inner caps, while my C6's 17" winter wheels boast the inner caps that came with the C4...

Cheerios,
Sam
Valleybuoy   
Fri Sep 06 2013, 12:49pm
I think I am going to order some in. Thanks Dave for the part number.

I think my 2008 warrants it! Want to get as near to showroom as poss.

When looking at ads for C6, the insert "Blackness" doesn't seem to be totally driven by the age of the car. So I am guessing could be salt based/ mileage based etc.
magicands   
Thu Sep 12 2013, 10:35am
Member No: #1021
I removed my citroen chevrons from the wheels as the Black paint had indeed gone grey. I found them simple to remove, didnt break any and I painted them by hand with Humbrol Gloss Black model paint using a modelling brush, they look great now and its a cheaper than £17 per insert!!
Website
MarkBevan   
Thu Oct 11 2018, 07:45pm
Member No: #3172
I just painted my black inserts, with a can of Hubrol Satin Black Acrylic spray paint. I tried painting with a brush first, but spray painting gave a better finish.

The black inserts can be prised out of the silver disks easily enough. The chrome chevrons didn't look like they would come away from the black inserts, without breaking some of the lugs/clips, so I left those attached to the black inserts (chicken). I masked the chrome chevrons off, with Frogtape Painters Multi-Surface Masking Tape (a fiddly and time consuming job, in itself).

Spraying a few thin layers is the way to go. If you spray it on too thick, the finish isn't as good. The surface finish improves as it dries, so don't panic if it doesn't look great, straight after spraying !

As Bishop experienced in another thread, my black inserts went grey, as a result of whatever cleaning fluid the local hand-car wash sprayed on them (I know, I should wash it myself). It remains to be seen how well the Humbrol paint will last, but freshly spray painted, the inserts look much better.

I don't know whether automotive type paint would be better than Humbrol, or whether I should have applied a coat of varnish/lacquer, after painting (oh well, next time).

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club