C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Difficult steering

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Radox   
Fri May 07 2021, 06:19pm
Member No: #4044
I've heard many times that normally, the steering of the C6 is "one-finger, feather light". However, mine is actually turning pretty hard. I'm not saying it's very difficult, but it's definitely not the joyful one-finger type also. I must always turn the wheel with both arms on sharper turns. That's driving me crazy and is taking away a lot of the joy of driving.

Tire pressure is at 2.4, so this is not the problem. What could then I do to make the wheel turn easy? Steering rack, steering column, or perhaps something to do with the LDS and power steering pump (in fact I don't know if the C6 has one)?

Or can the sensitivity/resistance of the steering wheel be tuned in Lexia?

Thanks.
arconell3   
Fri May 07 2021, 09:24pm
Member No: #922
Is yours a 6 cyl. model or the 2.2 HDI? Important because the 2.2 has an electrically driven pump and its own LDS reservoir, on the other models the pump is belt driven and uses the LDS from the same reservoir as the suspension.

Regards, Robert
Website
Radox   
Sat May 08 2021, 06:13am
arconell3 wrote ...

Is yours a 6 cyl. model or the 2.2 HDI? Important because the 2.2 has an electrically driven pump and its own LDS reservoir, on the other models the pump is belt driven and uses the LDS from the same reservoir as the suspension.

Regards, Robert

It's a 2.7.
MGmike   
Sat May 08 2021, 05:30pm
Member No: #3151
That does sound like a steering pump problem.
If the suspension can reach the high setting, you have enough LDS in the system at normal level to feed the power steering.

I guess you could jack the front wheels off the ground and check they move feely to ensure there are no issues with the stub axle joints and the steering column. With the engine off and holding the wheels at 1/4 to 3 you should be able to turn the wheels from lock to lock with a small amount of effort. If that's okay I would be looking at the pump before the rack (just because its a lot easier to change).
Radox   
Sat May 08 2021, 09:51pm
MGmike wrote ...

That does sound like a steering pump problem.
If the suspension can reach the high setting, you have enough LDS in the system at normal level to feed the power steering.

I guess you could jack the front wheels off the ground and check they move feely to ensure there are no issues with the stub axle joints and the steering column. With the engine off and holding the wheels at 1/4 to 3 you should be able to turn the wheels from lock to lock with a small amount of effort. If that's okay I would be looking at the pump before the rack (just because its a lot easier to change).

The suspension can go to the highest setting without problems. I guess the problem then indeed lies with the pump or the rack. What do you mean by "stub axle joints"?
MGmike   
Sun May 09 2021, 11:48am
Radox wrote ...

The suspension can go to the highest setting without problems. I guess the problem then indeed lies with the pump or the rack. What do you mean by "stub axle joints"?

The swivel joints at the bottom of the front suspension struts. The bit between the strut and the joint that holds the hub and brake brake components is commonly known as the stub axle (well it is in the classic cars I mess with )
Radox   
Mon May 10 2021, 05:53am
MGmike wrote ...

Radox wrote ...

The swivel joints at the bottom of the front suspension struts.

Are these the "lower ball joints" you are talking about? The ones that are notoriously bad on pre-2008 C6s?

MGmike   
Mon May 10 2021, 11:40am
Radox wrote ...

Are these the "lower ball joints" you are talking about? The ones that are notoriously bad on pre-2008 C6s?

Yep, that's them!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club