C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Rust

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Rettopian   
Wed Jul 03 2013, 01:38pm
Member No: #1195
Hi, Just called my local garage about my C6 & the service manager started talking about rust repairs. Now to be fair - he had mistaken me & my car for another they deal with - I was phoning about its suspension issues.

However - it seems that the other chaps C6 has rust forming on the top of the doors just below the bright strip running under the windows.

By coincidence, I had spotted two areas of bubbling on mine, thought it odd, but thought it was a crude touch up paint job. It seems not. He also mentioned that the bonnet is prone to the same issue along the edge - again where the bright strip is present. On close inspection I can’t see a problem with the bonnet yet – but 3 of the 4 doors are afflicted.

Is this another known 'Characteristic' of the model? A common problem - or is Wiltshire the most corrosive environment in England?
Ped   
Wed Jul 03 2013, 02:12pm
Member No: #82
I also have this on my drivers door. Two smallish blobs. I think I need them to be checked out, actually.
Rog   
Wed Jul 03 2013, 02:13pm
I have one spot
michaelb   
Wed Jul 03 2013, 02:25pm
Member No: #14
Make sure your rust inspections are up to date and stamped.

The lucky owner of my previous C6 will benefit from the £50 Citroën charged me for this inspection. I'm sure it was the easiest £50 they ever earned as I would guess they do nothing but walk around the car but it's fifty quid well spent if a claim is needed.
Rettopian   
Wed Jul 03 2013, 06:34pm
So - not uncommon then........great! More good news!
C6Dave   
Wed Jul 03 2013, 06:44pm

Member No: #1
Here we go again........

Any car where 'bright work' is attached to clips that pierce the underlying bodywork is prone to corrosion around the points where the clips pierce the underlying metal, not just the C6.

As for the bonnet edge, the top is aluminium which doesn't rust so explain that one away.....

Bubbling there is normally caused by a paintwork defect during the painting process/cleaning in the paint shop and as such is not covered by the 'anti corrosion' warranty.
Website
Rettopian   
Thu Jul 04 2013, 07:51am
Here we go again....?

I absolutely accept the general point about clips piercing paint & protective coatings. However the fact remains that I, and no doubt others on the site, will have owned a lot of cars with brightwork attached, that haven't started to corrode at such a young age. (Just 4 years old for my car). If those other manufactures can achive this perhaps they didn't use clips or maybe they were just a bit smarter than Citroen in that respect?

I don't seem to have issues on the bonnet of my car yet - they may not even materialise. That issue lies with the other car the service manager referred to. That aside, even if it is aluminium - the clip will probably be made of what? Steel? So surely an electrolytic reaction will be a possibility? And isn't that going to look a lot like corrosion??

This is a wonderful car that I love, but it & others seem to be blighted by problems that I don't think are really acceptable from a volume manufacturer with the depth of manufacturing experience they have. I know it was a relatively low volue product - was it 22,000 or so made. But Citroen will have attached brightwork a few more times than that in theit history & so its not unreasonable to assume they might have gathered a little bit of experience & come up with a better way.
magicands   
Thu Jul 04 2013, 04:31pm
Member No: #1021
Rettopian wrote ...

Here we go again....?

I absolutely accept the general point about clips piercing paint & protective coatings. However the fact remains that I, and no doubt others on the site, will have owned a lot of cars with brightwork attached, that haven't started to corrode at such a young age. (Just 4 years old for my car). If those other manufactures can achive this perhaps they didn't use clips or maybe they were just a bit smarter than Citroen in that respect?

I don't seem to have issues on the bonnet of my car yet - they may not even materialise. That issue lies with the other car the service manager referred to. That aside, even if it is aluminium - the clip will probably be made of what? Steel? So surely an electrolytic reaction will be a possibility? And isn't that going to look a lot like corrosion??

This is a wonderful car that I love, but it & others seem to be blighted by problems that I don't think are really acceptable from a volume manufacturer with the depth of manufacturing experience they have. I know it was a relatively low volue product - was it 22,000 or so made. But Citroen will have attached brightwork a few more times than that in theit history & so its not unreasonable to assume they might have gathered a little bit of experience & come up with a better way.

Absolutely right on all counts, touch wood, I have no rust spots (as yet) but my C6 continues to be a real thorn in my side.
I was hoping to love it and enjoy turning a few heads but alas no, its spent more time at the dealers than on the road and only turns heads because of the noisey belt under the bonnet that sounds like a nest of Grasshoppers.
Website
Rettopian   
Thu Jul 04 2013, 08:12pm
It's such a pity.
dsharples   
Thu Jul 04 2013, 09:20pm
Member No: #119
I've had my drivers door rust repaired under the Citroen paint warranty - no problems - so keep up the inspections chaps.
Trainman   
Fri Jul 05 2013, 09:17pm

Member No: #86
I've got one spot behind the NSR light, I only spotted it a week or so ago, going to my local body shop soon as I have some stone chips I want rid of at the same time, plus looking at getting my wheels restored at the same time.
Stealth   
Fri Jul 05 2013, 09:20pm
Member No: #986
Hey, the noisy 'belt' under your bonnet Magicands may not be a belt.

I too had the 'crickets', repaired under dealer warrantee within 3 months of buying my second hand 6.

Turns out that there is a clutch bearing in the alternator that is not quite man enough for the job.

Apparently a replacement bearing has now been engineered that solves this problem and while I did have to wait a couple of month while that came into stock in Australia, my dealer did succesfully silence the crickets by lubricating in the interim.

Anyway, do investigate. Perhaps the source of your problem is the same. Otherwise, from my experience, check your harmonic balancers. I had one partially fail on my Xantia V6 and it would make cricket like noises until the engine was warm, then run quietly.

There's no need to replace the alternator, just the bearing. I've done about 8000kms since the change over and am delighted with my C6's performance, smoothness, and quality. Couldn't be happier in fact - the perfect car for Australia's appalling roads!
mark28   
Fri Jul 05 2013, 09:45pm
Member No: #102
I learnt a while back that if you critise the c6 on this forum it does not go down very well! They are not as well made as some other cars, and are better than some .
Rettopian   
Sat Jul 06 2013, 11:12am
Thanks Mark28 - I shall try & be nice.
mark28   
Sun Jul 07 2013, 07:01am
Member No: #102
No need for that on my part. These cars are very very poor in some areas , but great in others. I think rust on a 4-5 year old car is poor. I have a 37 year old car that is just starting to show some .
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club