C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Ice / USB Box / Telephone problems

Forget Navdrive mapping do it by ipad

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
akabigm   
Tue Jun 04 2013, 06:17pm
Member No: #1302
I am new to C6 but have owned XMs, BX, C3, C4 GP, and latterly I have not had built in sat nav. I found the C6 sat nav very old hat and such a small screen, so I went back to the solution I have used on last few cars ....... use an Ipad.

I use Navigon though there are other satnav apps, all considerably better and cheaper than Navtecq £199 for maps EU upgrade, ..........mine gets updates every quarter for £25 a year, also from Navtec, 10 inch retina display and can also load accurate and updated weekly speed cams app, play all my music etc etc.

All it required is a new bit for the Brodit Proclip system, this is quality kit, car attachment and device holder change each seperatly as required

So now got C6 specific mount, attaches to passger side centre air vents, slopes towads driver, solid as a rock, even better with C6 suspension.

audio cable from ipad to glove box, everything through car sysytem, power cable, check its 2.1 amp, to charge Ipad as we trot along, though ipad has 10 hours use on a charge sat nav does use power a bit faster, front cig lighter socket makes for short cable run.

ipad can rotate to portrait or landscape, much a preference but polarised sunglasses make portrait invisible, some buttons are a bit behind mount but still useable and looks quite smart

Appreciate not everyones cup of tea but worth a think.

Use a spare sim in rt4 and divert my other phone to car when on more than very short journey, so phone sorted and can retire Jawbone earpiece, best ever, but prefer not stuck in ear ! My C6 doesnt have Bluetooth unfortuately.

Loving C6 most comfortable car ever, big improvement on my C4 GP, really did not take to that.

nickyg   
Tue Jun 04 2013, 10:46pm
Member No: #100
Hi there,

I am a big fan of Navigon, have been buying their top end units for years. Have a nexus 7 mounted in my van similar to what you are describing.

Though, in a C6, I'm pretty sure a large (but admittedly beautiful) retina ipad will divide opinion and perhaps be a step too far!

Nicky
smihaialex   
Wed Jun 05 2013, 12:24pm
Member No: #1031
Take a couple of pictures please... I am very curious what the Proclip looks like w & w/o the iPad

Thanks,
Sammy
Dapprman   
Sun Jun 09 2013, 04:17pm
Member No: #710
Is it actually accurate enough ? (serious question here). The iPad does not have a GPS chip/receiver in it, but the 3G/4G versions use a form a agps - which is based on phone masts, so if you drive through a dead zone you have no lock.
akabigm   
Sun Jun 09 2013, 04:41pm
The 3G models have full GPS so very accurate.

As requested couple of photos in position

akabigm   
Sun Jun 09 2013, 04:50pm
Forget to finish before pressing go button !

IPADs without GSM use AGPS, IPADS with cellular have 'real ' and AGPS

Never lost fix anywhere in UK, a few short outages in rural France.

I have used this set up every since IPAD ordinal, this is v3 so check what clamp you need as dimensions have changed, though I still am using original but IPAD3 has silicone case so fills the gaps.

Ipad Mini might be worth a look but still small !

The beauty of the Proclip is only changing one bit, I have had brackets in Jeep Grand Cherokee, C4, Saab 9-3 Convertible, Volvo c70 but still using same front bit, they also do mounts with locks which I thought of but then I do want to use the IPAD elsewhere and leaving on display would be a bad idea
dsharples   
Sun Jun 09 2013, 05:13pm
Member No: #119
My wife's iPhone 4's GPS/Navigation doesn't work very well in the C6, or any cars (I've had on hire in Europe) with a solar reflective windscreen. Whilst I haven't tried my iPad, I thought the C6's Windscreen played havoc with GPS devices in general?

I guess the iPad must use a better chipset?

Just curious...
Pappnase   
Sun Jun 09 2013, 06:34pm
Member No: #1044
My iPhone5 works brilliantly.
BruceB   
Sun Jun 09 2013, 07:14pm
Member No: #234
Well, okay, but ... why? For a start, I don't have iPad, iPhone, iPod, iThis or iThat; yes, there are still a few of us refuseniks left. I use a ChuckBerry, and whenever needed Google Maps has always worked for me.

As for the Citroen, I have found that the on-board satnav has done everything I have asked of it, and that's with the latest update yet to be installed. Not to be offensive, but that Heath Robinson set-up is, frankly, intrusive and ugly.
Trainman   
Sun Jun 09 2013, 07:56pm

Member No: #86
BruceB wrote ...

Well, okay, but ... why? For a start, I don't have iPad, iPhone, iPod, iThis or iThat; yes, there are still a few of us refuseniks left. I use a ChuckBerry, and whenever needed Google Maps has always worked for me.

As for the Citroen, I have found that the on-board satnav has done everything I have asked of it, and that's with the latest update yet to be installed. Not to be offensive, but that Heath Robinson set-up is, frankly, intrusive and ugly.

Bruce,

I totally agree, whilst I do see the benefit of a better satnav, it does look ugly and excessively big, buy a tomtom or garmin or whatever, but not that.....
michaelb   
Sun Jun 09 2013, 08:46pm
Member No: #14
iPhone 4 (or 5) on a Proclip attached to the central vent works brilliantly on the C6. Rock-solid and can be reached with extended fingers without lifting one's hand from the wheel.
gmerry   
Mon Jun 10 2013, 09:05am
Member No: #21
Personally, I find the RT4 Satnav installation pretty good considering it is in the line of sight through the windscreeen, does not cause any blind spots and is integrated with the head up display. None of the aftermarket systems come close on the above criteria.

Regards
G
magicands   
Mon Jun 10 2013, 11:37am
Member No: #1021
gmerry wrote ...

Personally, I find the RT4 Satnav installation pretty good considering it is in the line of sight through the windscreeen, does not cause any blind spots and is integrated with the head up display. None of the aftermarket systems come close on the above criteria.

Regards
G

I agree, my Sat Nav works well and ties in with the HUD.
I really couldnt be bothered to strap an ipad in my car & if I wanted external Nav then I would opt for a Tom Tom.
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club