Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Front wishbone Rear bush

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
cruiserphil   
Mon May 20 2013, 09:30am

Member No: #38
G,

How about
1. Wishbone
2. Centre bush
3. Rear bush.

Whatever, dead keen to hear how you get on?

Regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Mon May 20 2013, 10:17am
Member No: #21
According to the Parts Department, a press is not required to fit the three parts... we shall see. Would that rule out a separate centre bush?

G
nickyg   
Tue May 21 2013, 01:33pm
Member No: #100
If I remember, there is a note on service.citroen, LE-2007, with a recommendation to offer ancillary parts alongside new wishbone part 3520 w2 (which replaces the earlier 3520 q1). From memory, I think the parts include the sensor bracket and something else.

I think you'll receive 1 number complete wishbone, 1 number sensor bracket and whatever else is recommended in document LE-2007 (can't remember!).. Perhaps something silly like the mounting screws.

Hope it's the separate bushings though!

BIG PS! : I think I've found what looks like the C6 bush for wishbone rear. It is Spidan part number 411756. I have not yet figured out how to buy the [%*^#@!] yet, though!

- Click Here -

It seems identical to the larger C6 variant. Cruiserphil and bediethrick have pictures and/or links that show this bush.

Regards,
Nicky
gmerry   
Sun May 26 2013, 05:34pm
OK, some more bits and pieces on this.

I received the wishbone (3521 S5) for Right Hand Side together with two additional suspension height sensor brackets.

I removed the rear bush assembly (a smallish bearing separator makes this quite simple)

Now with the Citroen rear bush and aftermarket Delphi rear bush (TD536W listed in their catalogue as suitable for Peugeots and Citroen C6)both mounted on a piece of 20mm diameter bar, the following differences can be noted:-

-Mounting feet (both) out by 10mm - this could be fixed with shims as per Bdeithricks early post. Two shims are required; easier to see with a photo.

-Both have a nominal bore of 20mm but the fit is too tight over the wishbone shaft for the Delphi copy part. The wishbone shaft itself is 20.12mm. Suggest could be sorted with a light scrape of the reamer.

-Width at the bush shaft is 0.5mm less (not critical)

-Rubber has a different shape so compliance/comfort will not be the same as the OEM.

A point to note is that the wishbone is a light alloy casting? possibly high pressure treated (HIPP) to give much improved mechanical properties. Search on the forum for Cobrapress, June 15th 2012 for a description of the process. To avoid breakage, a replacement OEM wishbone might be a very good thing at high miles.

Myself I would avoid aftermarket wishbones like the plague as who knows what method is used for their manufacture.

Summary, using a bearing separator, it is possible to remove the old bush (put the separator blades behind the large ring and use this to extract the bush). The Delphi part will fit but the tolerances are such that some fettling is required and the rubber compliance will not be exactly the same as the OEM part. Because the wishbone is light alloy it should be carefully checked for cracking if mileage is high.

Avoid aftermarket wishbones if possible.

Regards

G
gmerry   
Sun May 26 2013, 08:30pm
photos

gmerry   
Mon May 27 2013, 01:17pm
Bare wishbone with rear bush removed

nickyg   
Fri Jun 14 2013, 04:17pm
Hello again, G, and everyone.

Two reasons for jumping back in here.

One, how are you faring with the new wishbone?

Two, a query regarding same!

I note you mention the two brackets you received. These were indeed the two extra parts stipulated by document LE-2007 that I mentioned previously.

Now, upon revisiting this (still thinking I want to replace entire wishbone rather than bodge on these rear bushes I've purchased for a tenner) I see something counter intuitive.

When one goes looking for the wishbones, they are indeed directed towards superseding part 3520W2 3521S5 (left or right). Additionally they stipulate the two extra brackets 3525 06 and 3525 07.

Now, here's the thing. Either left or right bracket they send you the same 2 parts, which are actually left AND right sensor brackets. Why one would need a new right hand sensor bracket when purchasing a left hand wishbone is beyond me!

Furthermore, dig a little deeper and one finds that recommended brackets 3525 06 and 3525 07 are themselves superceded by brackets 3525 11 and 3525 12.

May I ask what particular concoction you were supplied, along with your 3521S5 wishbone?

Also, G, just a heads up. On these new wishbones you must discard the washer that previously sat under the sensor bracket.

Thanks!

gmerry   
Sat Jun 15 2013, 05:16pm
Hi Nick, I ordered a Right Side Wishbone and it arrived in a plastic bag as per the following:-

1/ #19757 on the bag written on masking tape in pen

Inside, a right hand side wishbone #3531 S5 complete with two brackets #3525 12 and #3525 11.

Note that the wishbone also has a bracket already attached.

The plan if /when I fit the RHS wishbone was to swop over the old bracket.

Regarding fitting the Delphi wishbone bush, I have reamed out the bush to achieve the same fit as the OEM bush and purchased 30 x 10mm aluminium strip 6082 T6 to make up the spacers. I will apply a drop of high strength thread lock to the spacers prior to fitting. Citroen use a oversize "shaft" of 20.15mm so there are no commercially available reamers suitable for this fit class. I ended up using a Taylor and Jones adjustable reamer. As previously stated, I would have grave reservations about fitting aftermarket alloy wishbones.

My main complaint is a little shunting on and off the brakes: however I removed the front wheel and levered the rear of the RHS wishbone but could not see any movement at the bush. Maybe it is only the LHS wishbone bush that has the problem.

Before I fit the LHS wishbone bush, I will probably fit new front spheres so as to eliminate that cause of any suspension woes.

Regards
G
nickyg   
Sat Jun 15 2013, 05:50pm
Thanks G,

Well that makes sense! You got the proper brackets..lots of them! Glad to see that whoever you ordered your wishbone from was able to follow the extended paper trail down to the new bracket parts. Gives me a renewed sense of hope that there are sometimes people other than jobsworths at the other end of the line!

Just revisiting the bracket issue. I'm not entirely sure it would be the best idea to use the old bracket. There must be a reason why the new bracket pairs the new wishbone and specifically states not to refit the existing washer/spacer part.

Might affect things only to the tune of a few mm, but who knows what effect that may translate into on the small actuator on the sensor.

Regarding the sensation you are experiencing, pretty sure mine is suffering the same. The bushes holding the front of the wishbone were definitely shot to pieces but, like you, I found it hard to discern movement on the rear set of bushes. I believe Phil C mentioned this being hard to detect for him also, and he had his wife push hard on and off the brakes whilst he had a look in the pit underneath the car!

One things for sure, I'm as unhappy as you seem to be at the moment, which is why I'm seriously considering the new type hub carriers, new wishbones. And my 4 rear spheres regassed (have new front Monroes on since last autumn, date stamped 2011). Aside from this I need a new front passenger ABS sensor, fit my new rear droplinks and buy a rear drivers side strut, as it's weeping lds slightly and may not pass mot, so the list starts to look hefty!

No word on the spheres you sourced a while back?

Regards,

Nicky
gmerry   
Sat Jun 15 2013, 07:56pm
Hi Nick, front Spheres arrived ex AEP Direct much before they had promised them. I checked their website and they still do not list them against the C6 so if you were to go down that route you would need to telephone them.

Sounds as though I have no choice but to fit a new bracket if I fit a new wishbone but I'm still hoping refitting old wishbone (with new bushes)and old bracket would have the heights correct. Probably my wishful thinking.

Thanks for the tip on the front bush. Is that the one fitted to the wishbone itself or the suspension upright.

Regards
G
nickyg   
Sat Jun 15 2013, 08:35pm
Hi,

Thanks. The suspension upright bushes were gone. The ones that bolt through the fork of the wishbone. Was relatively easy to spot that with a good firm shake of the wheel. No way was I paying £600 for the entire uprights so new bushes bought. I made the decision that best ones were those sourced by Greame, (greame6023) who sells on Ebay. £50 the pair.

Am I right in thinking that you have one of the earlier C6s, like my own, but have upgraded the hub cariers to the newer type that has the lip around the frip joint?

If so did you have to fit new track rod ends also? I don't see any mention of it on service.citroen but I notice some talk of this on the 407 sites, ie: when FRIP bearing perishes and also wears away at the stub, people being forced into buying new hub carriers and track rod ends to remedy. Slightly confused!

If I was going to the bother of fitting new hub carrier, I certainly wouldn't want to be going backwards and end up with incorrect geometry etc!

Thanks!

Nicky
cruiserphil   
Sun Jun 16 2013, 12:27pm

Member No: #38
Hello Nicky,

I fitted new hubs to the 2006 car as it was only a little extra to buying the Carb bearings on their own. I did not fit new track rod ends and was not advised to by Citroen parts supplier. Also have had no handling tyre wear problems since. Car was also tested in NCT which showed nothing unusual in the vehicle dynamics.

Regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Sun Jul 07 2013, 03:28pm
Hi all, near side rear wishbone bush now changed out. I used the Delphi bush (reamed out as per previous posts) and fitted this to the original wishbone, complete with 10mm aluminium spacers. One spacer has 14mm hole, the other is 12mm. To get the old inner steel bush off the wishbone, I used a bearing splitter but ended up having to put two longitudinal cuts as it was so tight. I fitted the new bush with some anerobic thread locker to prevent any corrosion and/or fretting.

There is a bracket for some electrical connectors fastened to the rear bush. Don't try and tighten this in position, do it before the wishbone is fully back in position because there is no access to the bolt head that secures the bracket to the wishbone bush.

Using the old wishbone, just undoing the bracket for the ride height sensor and then replacing, seems to have not disturbed the ride height.

Thanks for all the help with the above.

By the way, the really bad suspension crashing on even small bumps is now gone.

Regards
G
Rog   
Sat Jan 04 2014, 09:26pm
oh dear, this is not good reading from someone getting to a point of needing to change mine. can't believe they're not available complete
gmerry   
Thu Nov 13 2014, 07:12pm
Hi all, I replaced the Left Side rear front wishbone bush in May 2013. Now its time to replace the same bush on the Right side of the car. (I have a complete new Citroen OEM wishbone).

When I replaced the Left Side, I had to remove the drive shaft to access the centre pivot bush bolt.

The Citroen download on this site states No Need to Remove the driveshaft for the Right Hand Side. Can anyone confirm this and advise on the amount of dismantling required?

Thanks
G
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club