Author Post
Tjensen   
Mon Feb 18 2013, 09:06pm
Member No: #954
Don't think so, but I will check.
Pappnase   
Thu Mar 14 2013, 10:11am
Member No: #1044
I forgot to post a short report on the outcome of my folly.

I got the car back last week. Brilliant workmanship, car looks like before except for the tweeters which got a new leather coated enclosure. The amp/DSP now lives in the former CD changer compartment, right side of trunk. They said that the place is ideal because it is very near the opening for forced ventilation so it won't overheat.

The sound is plainly wonderful. The bass goes down to 35 Hz. They could have done 28 Hz but limited the frequency band to allow for more volume. I'll probably reverse this because I don't need that much volume anyway. Anyway, the bass is very impressive bearing in mind there is no subwoofer involved, MUCH better than the original speakers. As I said, I am a 95% classical music person which does not have too much deep bass.But they gave me their demo CD which includes a few hiphop tracks which sound just fine.

The best thing is the DSP. I figured out a compensation curve for my ears which has its maximum at 6 kHz (4-6 dB boost) and folds back to 2-3 dB @ 20 kHz. In fact, the compensation is not more than the original treble boost set to 5, but in the right place. The difference is HUGE.

There is a PC program included which I installed on my Lexia netbook. Very easy to use and I can play with frequency response and individual speaker delay. They also mounted a small switch to the steering column and I can switch between linear and deaf mode. Now I think I understand why many people are happy with the original JBL sound, their ears are simply better than mine. The DSP just helps to get the brilliance back that I used to hear when I was younger LOL.

I also activated my USB port using Mirascripts. Strangely, the USB stick wouldn't play all the music which was on it until I found out that I had to change the limit for the number of tracks on a stick which is only 999 by default. There is a script for this too and I now have about 1500 tracks on a 8GB stick, most are 256 kbit/s MP3. It is extremely convenient to have about 80 albums in the car without having to copy them to the jukebox which just takes ages. However I may consider copying this stick to the jukebox and fill another one with the remainder of my music.

I am very happy.
g
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club