C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Fantasy C6 Replacements

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Bishop   
Fri Feb 08 2013, 11:54am
Member No: #868
Well, well. I'm loving the responses; fun and thought provoking. One thing that strikes me is that most of the proposed replacements are expensively exotic, which almost proves a point about how much we seem to value the combo of distinctive style, comfort/ space and exclusivity that the C6 provides. I can't see myself now going for a later C6, even if it could be the very tempting 3.0 HDI (my second, later Spec B Legacy was a better car than the first, but I never loved it the same way as I did the earlier car).

The suggestion that made me smile (because it kind of confirms to me that people who go for a C6 and follow this site really must think quite alike) was the Tesla. When I read Car's First Drive review of that car I had a convulsive "want one" reaction, but it's not on sale in the UK (yet), carries rather untried tech, and will be very expensive. Maybe best to give it a few years while I enjoy the my maturing C6 and pick one up second hand so someone else pays the depreciation. Hmmmmm.

Otherwise, some really cracking suggestions. Quite a bit of support for the CLS and its shootingbrake version, which did not surprise me, but I much prefer the original - the latest one just tries too hard for my liking.

Keep 'em coming!

verycleverman   
Fri Feb 08 2013, 11:00pm
Member No: #65
This is about Fantasy C6 Replacements, right? Not existing cars, but what we would like to see. For my part, I would love to see an Xm Exclusive Estate with Hydractive III+ and all the toys that are fitted to the C6 and the 3.0 HDi V6 married to the Aisin 6 speed auto box. Round it all off with the RT5, but with Tomtom navigation, and the fixed steering wheel hub of the C5, (it makes the cruise control ultra reliable), and you have my ideal car. the comfort of the C6 and the capacity of the Xm Break, formidable!

Pete.
Stealth   
Sat Feb 09 2013, 02:13am
Member No: #986
Well as we're discussing fantasy cars, I always thought it disappointing that Citroen didn't go down the path of producing the V6 Xantia as a coupe. Not necessarily a rag top but a variation of the 406 coupe, which was an exceptionally pretty car at the time.

Not a single car since the unveiling of the Lignage prototype has given me the ''would love to have" it feeling, other than the Tesla.
C6Dave   
Sat Feb 09 2013, 07:38am

Member No: #1
The issue with 'convertible' options on Citroen's is that PSA (The parent company) targeted Citroen to the 'Family Car' market and used the Peugeot brand for the more 'sporty' variants and therefore all the convertibles (apart from the rather weird C3 'Pluriel').

It will be interesting to see if that business plan is revised with Citroen's 'DS' line up.
Website
smihaialex   
Sat Feb 09 2013, 11:27am
Member No: #1031
Well, the DS9 would also fit the bill for me, but out of the two concepts out there, I lean towards the fastback shooting brake version, and not the Metropolis sedan

And if we're talking fantasy cars, I would also go for a Citroën C6 II - an only slightly more polished C6 on the aesthetic front, meaning the same lines, but with led headlights and rear lights, getting rid of the side ornaments for a simpler, more refined look, better side mirrors, 19" wheels, panoramic sunroof.

On the technical side, I would like to see it in a Hybrid 4 set-up featuring the 3.0 HDi V6 and an 80 kW electric engine, connected to a double clutch 7 or 8 speed auto transmission, with Hydractive IV suspension, meaning 9 slightly bigger spheres and a slightly bigger section for the connecting LDS pipes, and an updated AMVAR, doing at least ten times more calculations per second, all of this allowing allowing for an even smoother feel and a faster response, faster on demand height adjustments, higher speeds while raised - 20 Mph fot the highest level, 45Mph for intermediary/medium level and a smoother feel while raised...

On the gadget front, I would only add transparent photovoltaic cells to the panoramic sunroof that will be used to charge the battery or at least keep the car cool while parked in the sun, ventilated seats, true keyless access & engine start, and make the LCD screen at least twice as big, keeping a 16:9 aspect ratio, true bluetooth integration, meaning Handsfree Bluetooth profile, A2DP Bluetooth profile for hi quality stereo audio streaming and AVRCP Bluetooth profile in order to be able to play/pause, skip, volume up/down the bluetooth connected multimrdia phone/media player from the audio controls on the steering wheel...

I would also love for it to have, and I know not everyone will like this, but I'm going for it anyway, the fixed center type steering wheel, like the C5 and the C4, but not necesarily the same design - a better, more refined one - I like it because it allows for better audio/phone/menu & speed limiter/cruise control commands

And, la piece de resistance, I would like it to have suicide doors

Now tell me that you wouldn't looove this C6 II

Cheerios,
Sam
Dapprman   
Sat Feb 09 2013, 02:45pm
Member No: #710
My original plans was in about 3 years to consider a Quattroporte as the decent full autos will be starting to hit my price mark, but since then the Panamera diesel has appeared and post Chris Harris's review on Pistonheads that has appeared on my radar too, just maybe a few years later.
ciao_chao   
Sat Feb 09 2013, 09:53pm
Member No: #518
Suddenly had an strange impulse to get a V12 Merc W140/V140 yesterday, admittedly it's about as exciting as whitewash but there's something about the nuclear bomb shelter like construction, coupled with the hydraulic rear suspension and a massive silky V12, theres also something satisfying in knowing that Mercedes kept pouring money into the project until it was just right. Plus they're cheap these days, though fuelling it will bankrupt you. Oh and of course the W140 has that Russian mafia image.

Another weird fetish is the Lancia Thesis, I'm possibly the only person on the planet who thinks this car looks good.

michaelb wrote ...

I beg your pardon

Touched a nerve here huh?

It's just that with the Maser you forget about looks because of the Ferrari dynamics. May I ask did you get the rear mounted robotised box, or the ZF auto?

Talking of which, how about a full blooded 456? Oh and you can get a sub 15k miles 612 this side of fifty grand now.
smihaialex   
Sat Feb 09 2013, 10:05pm
Nope chao, you are not alone... I also like the Thesis... I loooved it back when it was launched, and I still greatly enjoy it, but to be honest I haven't driven one yet so I wouldn't know...

Sam
ChrisHunter   
Sun Feb 10 2013, 09:49pm
Member No: #188
when we got our C6, it was our first choice ...

second-choice was a Jaguar XF ...
Bishop   
Mon Feb 11 2013, 09:10am
Chao - I think the Thesis and Lancia's in general are popular with "Citroenistes". I like it, and the interior is arguably nicer than the C6, but the exterior ain't a patch in my view. There's a guy on the Car Magazine Forum who goes under the pseudonym of Bertandnairobi who is not a fan of the C6 but wrote a great piece on the Thesis if you want to seek it out.
smihaialex   
Mon Feb 11 2013, 11:03pm
Thesis better interior than C6?!? Really?!?
Bishop   
Tue Feb 12 2013, 10:15am
smihaialex: yes, I think so; certainly where the design of the dash is concerned. Whilst I think the ergonomics of the dial/ display elements of the C6's dash is clever (although, I'm speaking from the perspective of having the HUD on my car), the shape and form of the dash is distinctive but not attractive to my eyes. It constantly irritates me that PSA foisted the bottom section from centre console of the 607 onto the C6. The current C5 is much better in this regard, and I also agree with an earlier respondent that I'd prefer to have had the fixed central steering hub because it's a Citroen and absolutely should have that kind quirky switchgear set up!

I do adore the door cubbys with the endlessly pleasing action of the sliding wooden covers, and they save an otherwise rather "bitsa" interior for me. Certainly, the interior is not worthy of the exterior, imho.
smihaialex   
Tue Feb 12 2013, 11:34am
Well, even though I know that some parts of the interior are borrowed from the 607 and the earlier C5 (not the current generation), I still like the way it's put together much more than I did in the 607 & C5.

Also, even though the ergonomics are not the best - I'm always having to take my eyes off the road in order to place a phone call, or adjust the A/C or what have you, I find it, I don't know... charming

I also like the interior of the current C5, and that of the Pug 508, but it's not as refined as the C6's, even though the foam unibody construction allows for less squeaks & creaks than in the C6...

And regarding the Lancia Thesis, I understand from what I've read that its interior is uncompromised, and benefits from the use of proper materials, such as glass, wood & metal instead of the ubiquitous plastic generously used in even the most expensive cars of today, but design wise I find it bland and unattractive... The same goes for Mercedes-Benz... Up until the latest E Class & latest CLS, I found their interiors to be, frankly, uninspired... As for the QP, I think it's one of the best, most desirable cars ever built, but I didn't fancy the interior design one bit... The 2013 model however changes all that - IMHO it's got one of the best interiors out there

What do you think?

Cheerios,
Sam
Bishop   
Tue Feb 12 2013, 12:33pm
Sam, Yep, I really like the interior of the new QP, but am less keen on the exterior which is less distinctive and intuitively beautiful.

Back on the C6's interior, I know what you mean regarding charm, but feel that's a bit of "damning with faint praise". It's not just the looks and the ergonomics of the switch gear, it's the creaking of the plastic of the high mounted (tweater?) speakers mounted on the leading edge of the window frames, and, worse, the crack/ creak of the plastic surround of the heater controls when the heater is turned up. It is charming, but verging on the amateurish. It was not bad enough to put me off, but, as I said earlier, it should be s much better.
C6Dave   
Tue Feb 12 2013, 04:38pm

Member No: #1
Bishop wrote ...

It's not just the looks and the ergonomics of the switch gear, it's the creaking of the plastic of the high mounted (tweater?) speakers mounted on the leading edge of the window frames, and, worse, the crack/ creak of the plastic surround of the heater controls when the heater is turned up. It is charming, but verging on the amateurish. It was not bad enough to put me off, but, as I said earlier, it should be s much better.

I have not experienced either in both the C6's I have owned and driven?
Website
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club