C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Boot locked

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Mike H   
Sun Apr 25 2010, 01:00pm
Member No: #53
Gotta love the electrics. Like today when the C6 Battery went flat without warning in a multilevel carpark.

No way? of opening the boot with a flat battery (where the tools and jumper leads are). What were they thinking?

Why is there no keylock in the bootlid? Or at least a cable release, especially as the battery is in there too!!

Or am I missing something?

Mike
michaelb   
Sun Apr 25 2010, 01:33pm
Member No: #14
I agree. It was one of my first questions when I was buying the car. My last car also had its battery in the boot and I needed to use its key over-ride several times during my ownership.

Of course there are jump-lead points under the bonnet - which have the look of being added later to counter this very problem - but if your parking space is as tight as mine you might also be parking the car with the bonnet touching the wall, as I do, in which case the bonnet may not have space to open. What happens then is anyone's guess

Don't forget if your battery goes flat the windows won't drop when you open the doors. You can apparently, although I've yet to try it, force the door open with the window still raised but you can't subsequently close the door until the battery is charged or the glass will break on the door head.

BTW Welcome to the forum

Michael
Mike H   
Sun Apr 25 2010, 02:56pm
Interesting, the windows would creep down, voltage was circa 7V. but not enough for the central locking though.

Doors all unlocked but not the boot ?

Still don't know why this happened?? total discharge whilst parked for 6 hrs.

Trusty XM to the rescue with jumpstart.

I would still like a manual release for the boot for next time.

cheers
Mike
michaelb   
Sun Apr 25 2010, 05:21pm
Mike H wrote ...

.....Trusty XM .....

Surely an oxymoron?

- only teasing
Mike H   
Thu Jan 06 2011, 06:05am
Happy New Year to C6ers

More fun with the boot:

This time it will not unlock
All other locks working, not a fuse problem as far as I can determine.

Luckily there were only small items that could be removed via the ski hatch (pack lounge).

Shorly before it would have been very different with the boot packed for the holidays.

Anway, the purpose of this post is to suggest familiarising yourselves with the small release hole on the boot latch (page 73 of the owners handbook).

This tiny hole is not visible with the boot closed, and will be hard to find even if you can fold down the rear seat and climb into the boot. If my case if there had been luggage in the boot it would mean removing the seats.

Also the action required to release the catch is not properly described in the handbook.

I finally managed to release the boot via the ski hatch with a spike attached to a wooden extension.

The location is now marked on the lining with whiteout.

The cause of the failure is yet to be determined.

Some sort of manual release is needed

in the meantime, you have been warned

cheers
Mike

Mike H   
Thu Jan 06 2011, 07:39am
update; twas the switch above the number plate, top had "popped"off with the loom connection. It now has a dab of superglue to help.
mike
gmerry   
Thu Jan 06 2011, 06:03pm
Member No: #21
Mike, any chance of a photo?

thanks
G
Mike H   
Thu Jan 06 2011, 11:46pm

Mike H   
Fri Jan 07 2011, 02:11am
Once the boot lid liner is replaced the release hole is hidden again !

If this happens to you with a full boot, you might access the wires from the switch by digging the switcjh out with a screwdriver ?

One idea might be to tap onto the two wires from the switch and hide them behind the numberplate.

I wonder why Citroen do not have a boot release switch in the cabin on a separate circuit?

cheers
Mike
Trainman   
Fri Jan 07 2011, 08:59am

Member No: #86
Well, got a couple of chores to do this weekend on the car, think I'll have a quick look and make sure my cable isn't loose...............

The thought of struggling through the ski hatch to get at that small hole.......
Mike H   
Fri Jan 07 2011, 11:03am
Happy New Year Steve,

For all i know i may be the only one in the world to have this happen,

It was the switch that fell apart , the top came off, If you do this, when you get there, wiggle the terminal and see if the top part of the switch unit is loose ?

After replacing, I ran superglue around the join, then I taped the loom to the boot to stop it falling back into the cavity in-case the repair fails.

Time will tell.

To remove the numberplate panel, you have to remove the 4 TORX screws along the lower lip of the boot,

There are two horazontal clips in the middle and vertical spiggots along the top.

So, take out the 4 TORX screws and then pull the lower edge rearwards, the upper edge will then drop down. And release.
(clips will probably end up in the cavity between the boot skins)

photos did not come out well

good luck

if you go there, let me know what you found.

cheers
Mike
C6Dave   
Fri Jan 07 2011, 11:56am

Member No: #1
Had a witty response to add but in light of the Test result, thought I had better stay quiet
Website
Trainman   
Fri Jan 07 2011, 12:14pm

C6Dave wrote ...

Had a witty response to add but in light of the Test result, thought I had better stay quiet

Happy New Year to you too Mike.

Hmmm........ Unlike those on the other side (I bet they wish) ........Snow has stopped play.......

Unlike Dave, I couldn't resist
michaelb   
Fri Jan 07 2011, 01:21pm
Trainman wrote ...

The thought of struggling through the ski hatch to get at that small hole.......

We used to send small children up chimneys - a quick journey across a boot should be easy for them!
Trainman   
Fri Jan 07 2011, 01:43pm

michaelb wrote ...

Trainman wrote ...

We used to send small children up chimneys - a quick journey across a boot should be easy for them!

Must admit, that thought crossed my mind, but there are none here..........
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club