C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Fantasy C6 Replacements

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Bishop   
Wed Feb 06 2013, 01:51pm
Member No: #868
I found myself realising the other day that, currently, I cannot think of a car I really fancy in terms of replacing my C6. I am not thinking of replacing it yet - nothing like it - but I just realised that there was nothing else new-ish out there at present. I would need it to carry me comfortably, reliably and quite economically (I currently average 38.2mpg) on my daily 130 mile round trip which is mainly on Motorway and Dual Carriage way. I don't want to go down the usual list of (mainly) German suspects, I like a little novelty in my cars.

Consider this an exercise that slots into your life like one of those "Coffee Break" puzzle sections of the Daily Blah.

Waddayathink?
travlician   
Wed Feb 06 2013, 03:11pm
Member No: #350
Just have a little patience and get a DS-9 in 5 years or so... Or... That new Bentley?
C6Dave   
Wed Feb 06 2013, 07:08pm

Member No: #1
Possibly the Traction Roadster on display at Retromobile:

But I really couldn't afford it............

No not one of the 'modern' DS shown in the video or the 2CV
Website
ciao_chao   
Wed Feb 06 2013, 07:58pm
Member No: #518
How about a nice 3.0 HDi (it is fantasy replacements).

Otherwise a Jaguar X351, or a Quattroporte V/VI would be nice. Neither of these can quite match the look of the six.
dsharples   
Wed Feb 06 2013, 09:22pm
Member No: #119
I've been pondering this too.. Today, being semi-sensible, once they had reached a more suitable level of affordability, it would probably be a Porsche Panamera (Sport Turismo?) Diesel, or Mercedes CLS Shooting Break 350CDI.

But maybe I would actually downsize - the running costs of those beasts would be significant - albeit with stronger residuals than the C6... and in which case I might even sample a Volkswagen CC, Lexus IS, or Mercedes CLA (really downsizing here).

But any would represent the first non-hydraulically suspended car I have personally ever owned... in 25 years of motoring... Hmmm... that would be a shame.

Yes a Maserati Quattroporte of Ferrari FF would fit the bill, but that's not going to happen.. unless I win the lottery!
smihaialex   
Wed Feb 06 2013, 11:19pm
Member No: #1031
There are few cars that would fit the bill for me, and at the present moment some of them seem a bit pricey to buy, not to mention in terms of running costs, but for the sake of the argument, if I would be forced to replace the C6 in a gun to my head type of situation, I would go for:
- Citroën DS5 THP 200 or Hybrid4
- Peugeot 508 RXH
- BMW 4 Series 25i
- Mazda 6 New
- BMW X1 20i xDrive
- Merc A-Class 200
- Citroën DS4 THP 200
- Peugeot RCZ

Cheerios,
Sam
mark28   
Thu Feb 07 2013, 06:16am
Member No: #102
Mercedes CLS or SL
Stealth   
Thu Feb 07 2013, 10:39am
Member No: #986
Don't go down the Mercedes route. You'll die of boredom, seriously!

I just escaped a teutonically perfect E350 Elegance sport that had sucked all remaining will to drive from my brain. I'd secretly married the Six many years beforehand... we just hadn't had the opportunity to get hitched.

Like a few others here, I'm quite keen on the pure lines of the Quattroporte as well but, and this shocks me considering it's American, I'm a little taken with the futuristic Tesla. I gather they're a technological tour de force and, for an electric car, ground-breakingly beautiful. You'll only need about AUD $160,000 and an appetite for staggering depreciation, but you probably won't see many others on the road around you.
Stealth   
Thu Feb 07 2013, 10:48am
Stealth wrote ...

Don't go down the Mercedes route. You'll die of boredom, seriously!

I just escaped a teutonically perfect E350 Elegance sport that had sucked all remaining will to drive from my brain. I'd secretly married the Six many years beforehand... we just hadn't had the opportunity to get hitched.

Like a few others here, I'm quite keen on the pure lines of the Quattroporte as well but, and this shocks me considering it's American, I'm a little taken with the futuristic Tesla. I gather they're a technological tour de force and, for an electric car, ground-breakingly beautiful. You'll only need about AUD $160,000 and an appetite for staggering depreciation, but you probably won't see many others on the road around you.

Trainman   
Thu Feb 07 2013, 12:20pm

Member No: #86
Got to be this for me... The C5 Airspace

not that they will build it.

smihaialex   
Thu Feb 07 2013, 07:31pm
Member No: #1031
It's C5 Airscape, and yes, if they ever build it (highly unlikely) I would jump at the opportunity to get one

And also a big yes to the Tesla Model S, and the Fisker Karma - they're a bit out of my price range right now at $100,000 for a well equipped version, but they are amazing pieces of engineering and make the S Class and the 7 Series look boring and stupid

Sam
dsharples   
Thu Feb 07 2013, 08:47pm
Member No: #119
I *really* wanted to love the DS5 Hybrid 4 in spite of the mixed press, but I'm still not so sure. My family loved the interior and exterior detailing. It looked similarly "modern" when parked next to a RR Evoque on a quiet car park (both vehicles wearing white pearlescent paint). It has so much to offer, and I could even live with the firm ride, and "compromised" boot space, but the transmission would drive me nuts. Many pundits blame the lack of mechanically linked motors - but I think its just an awful automated manual box. I hope Citroen can tweak the software to better complement the power delivery or perhaps even buy-in a double-clutch gearbox to complement the innovative twin-motor approach.
Stealth   
Thu Feb 07 2013, 08:48pm
Yep, I'm with you on the Airscape.

Beautiful. Why won't they build it? It would be a brilliant move for the brand.
Trainman   
Thu Feb 07 2013, 09:24pm

Member No: #86
here's some more pictures of the C5 Airscape:

michaelb   
Fri Feb 08 2013, 09:41am
Member No: #14
ciao_chao wrote ...
or a Quattroporte V/VI would be nice. Neither of these can quite match the look of the six.

I beg your pardon

When I pondered this I looked at, and test drove, all sorts of possibilities including the usual suspects. A Lexus LS460 has just as good ride and better refinement and calmness, more gadgets, fabulous turning circle, bigger boot, full-sized spare but I couldn't do it because the steering was wooden and horrible, and the bottom line is the car looks like poo.

I came close to the XF but they are getting too common for my taste and I don't like to be mistaken for an airport transfer driver.

The QP V was an itch I had to scratch. I'm surprised it makes it into this discussion because I would never consider it as a direct replacement of the Six, it is a very different animal. I laugh when posters on the Maserati forums say it's great for wafting along in comfort because they've obviously never sat in a Citroën. I would never use the word 'waft' with the QP, it is a five seater Ferrari.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club