Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

C6 Daylight Running Lamps (finally changed to LED's)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
ciao_chao   
Fri Jan 18 2013, 12:34am
Member No: #518
Don't worry about rushing it, it's summer time where you get it a lot the fog light haters. Not so bad with the mist/wet/snow/dark of winter as most of the time the lights want to come on or you actually can justify using the real fogs.
smihaialex   
Fri Jan 18 2013, 07:40am
Member No: #1031
I also need to get "the other option" on my car... I have DRL-s but it only gives me the front lights and that's not enough.

For instance, these days there was some mist and fog in Bucharest and the surrounding areas, but hardly thick enough to justify bothering people with fog lights (which are pretty intense)... So I was left with 2 options leave it to the DRLs but have no rear lights, or switch on the position lights...

Had the DRLs activated the rear lights, it would have been perfect.

Sam
Tjensen   
Fri Jan 18 2013, 11:30am
Member No: #954
It is a Lexia job...
magcar   
Mon Jan 28 2013, 12:13pm
Member No: #1066
ciao_chao wrote ...

magcar wrote ...

Old thread, but I´ll try to wake it up again...

I bought these: - Click Here - and followed the excelllent guide issued by C6Dave in the beginning of this thread.

The lamps fits almost perfect, you have to cut/adjust two small tabs at the lamp, but it is very easy. I have no picture of it, but it is easy to understand when you have the unit in your hand.

A hint: Before you reassemble, check that the lamp works, as a LED lamp has to be connected with the right polarity.

If it dont work, just turn it 180 degrees.

If you have a chance, could you post some pictures of them on the car? I'm fed up of people thinking I've got my fogs on.

Here is a picture with the LED DRL´s.. Not so god picture quality though...
Not easy to see, but I have also changed the small position lamps to LED´s.
They were to yellow compared to the new DRL´s...

smihaialex   
Mon Jan 28 2013, 03:00pm
I got "the other option" enabled when doing my suspension software update (CSS), now it also switches on the position lights or side-lights (which ever way you might want to call them)... So far so good!

Congrats on the LED DRLs - they look fab... B)

Regarding the position lights, personally, I prefer the look of the original C6 headlight setup, featuring orange position lights... I think in 2009 Citroën updated the setup to feature white front position lights, but I prefer the original orange ones

Cheerios,
Sam
Ped   
Mon Jan 28 2013, 06:24pm
Member No: #82
They look great!
magcar   
Mon Jan 28 2013, 07:39pm
Member No: #1066
smihaialex wrote ...

I got "the other option" enabled when doing my suspension software update (CSS), now it also switches on the position lights or side-lights (which ever way you might want to call them)... So far so good!

Congrats on the LED DRLs - they look fab... B)

Regarding the position lights, personally, I prefer the look of the original C6 headlight setup, featuring orange position lights... I think in 2009 Citroën updated the setup to feature white front position lights, but I prefer the original orange ones

Cheerios,
Sam

It is not the orange lights at the side of the front i have changed, it is the small bulbs next to the xenon.
ciao_chao   
Thu Jan 31 2013, 08:40pm
Member No: #518
They do look good, esp with the side lights, though that's given me a thought, why not just have the side lights on all the time? Thanks for the pictures.
smihaialex   
Thu Jan 31 2013, 09:28pm
I knew what you meant... On the original C6 - '05 - '06 - '07, those are orange too and what I'm sayin' is I like it!

But I like your set-up too...

Sam
Trainman   
Fri Feb 01 2013, 04:03pm

Member No: #86
smihaialex wrote ...

I knew what you meant... On the original C6 - '05 - '06 - '07, those are orange too and what I'm sayin' is I like it!

But I like your set-up too...

Sam

Sam,

I beg to differ on that statement, having owned both a 2005 and a 2007 both sidelights were/are white not orange. if you're refering to the side 'marker' lights then, yes they are orange.

smihaialex   
Mon Feb 04 2013, 09:30am
Ahhh, so that's the correct term - side marker lights - or position lights, right?

That's what I meant... I know that on later models those are white too...

Thank you,
Sam
e3steve   
Sat May 18 2013, 02:00pm
Member No: #1163
Back in the day, when SAAB & Volvo first brought DRLs to the UK, the lights were fitted with 21W/5W stop/tail lamps (bulbs, if you will). They were bright, without being too intense, and of a colour temperature (degrees K -- Kelvin) that easily catches one's eye in daylight.

But they were too bright for night-time driving; and, yes, some drivers would leave their vehicles with the DRLs on into darkness! Even at dusk they could be construed as almost dazzling because one was looking directly at the unshielded lamp filament, as opposed to the shielded filaments of dipped-beam headlights' reflected light. This shielding requirement is the reason for the 'crown-silver' fitment to our cars' DRLs & front indicators which have plain lenses, not fluted lenses like some other cars' front indicators.

The same is proving to be true of LED DRLs. In order to make the LEDs overcome the drawback of being the same colour temperature as daylight, which is circa 6000K, manufacturers needed to utilise Cree-type 'waterclear' LEDs. These are of a very direct and intense light output which can, in certain light conditions, be quite dazzling.

Manufacturers who nowadays opt to use 10 or 12-Watt incandescent lamps such as those on our C6s have, IMHO, the struck the right balance. They are of the right colour temp -- around 3500K -- and intensity to be safely observed and, thus, attracting the attention of otherwise-unobservant road users, therefore warning them of our approach.

The colour temperature is the main reason that I've not converted either of my classic, 60s' Honda motorcycles to HIDs (xenons). Hids' 6000K temp blends all too easily with daylight, almost rendering an approaching m/c rider 'invisible' to unobservant road users! Make a mental note of this and see what you all think, the next time a rider with a xenon headlight appears in your door mirror, between two traffic queues. A halogen headlight is far more visible, even if not as good to drive behind as HIDs.

Food for thought....
Jodyone   
Sat May 18 2013, 03:35pm
Member No: #1240
Interesting Steve, thanks. I'm no fan of these lights, partly because of the cyclist perspective (if all motor vehicles are lit up in the day then cyclists might be at even more of a disadvantage), and partly because it just seems a bit dickish. But, that's a thoughtful take on the situation.
smihaialex   
Sat May 18 2013, 04:56pm
@Steve: spot on! This is why I think it's great that our DRLs are halogen and not LED or Xenon, and this is why I think it's great that by default, the C6 DRLs go out once the dipped beam comes on (this can be overridden in Lexia/DiagBox and set to 'Always On', but I wouldn't advise anyone to opt for that).

Also, this is why I absolutely hate (and I rarely use the word) aftermarket LED or Xenon bulbs/systems on cars that were designed with halogen lights in mind - they are always waaay brighter and more dazzling, especially at dawn or dusk when visibility conditions are the toughest...

As for the cars that come with bright LED DRLs from the factory (Audi, Kia, Renault etc), I think they should come equipped with a smart auto mode, that shouldn't allow the users/drivers to switch to them manually - I see to many people driving with these lights on in instances when they should be driving with the dipped beam on, and what's worst is that most of them have no rear lights on while driving with the DRLs on...

BTW, this is another feature that you can override in Lexia/DiagBox, but this one I highly advise you do - Position Lights ON with DRLs, so that if you do get in a situation where there's enough light that the Auto mode doesn't engage the dipped beams, but the visibility is not that great (like light mist, or dusk, or dawn), you still have both ends light up

Cheers,
Sam
Trainman   
Sat May 25 2013, 10:36am

Member No: #86
smihaialex wrote ...

BTW, this is another feature that you can override in Lexia/DiagBox, but this one I highly advise you do - Position Lights ON with DRLs, so that if you do get in a situation where there's enough light that the Auto mode doesn't engage the dipped beams, but the visibility is not that great (like light mist, or dusk, or dawn), you still have both ends light up

I've done this on mine, you get the DRL's and sidelights at the front. you get both front and rear side marker lights and the tail lights, so effectively you have everything you would normally have with out the head lights.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club