Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Running a cable from the glove compartment to the arm rest through the center console?!?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
smihaialex   
Tue Jan 29 2013, 03:05pm
Member No: #1031
Hi guys, just like the post suggests, I was wondering if it would be possible to run a cable from the glove compartment to the arm rest through the center console?!?

To be more specific, I would like to run this cable - Click Here - from the A/V aux connections inside the glovebox, behind the dash, through the center console (where the gear shifter is located) and through to the compartment inside the armrest...

Any tip would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sam
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 29 2013, 05:05pm

Member No: #1
Lot of work puling the console to pieces so I would go along the floor under the carpet alongside the tunnel.
Website
smihaialex   
Mon Jul 08 2013, 11:50am
I'd still love to try... What would be the steps to remove the center console? Or maybe one wouldn't need to remove the centre console? Maybe just the Radio-CD unit and the arm rest and just guide the cable the rest of the way?

Thanks in advance,
Sam
DiscoBison   
Mon Jul 08 2013, 02:04pm
Member No: #989
I had a look at fitting a usb box in the centre console the other day. I would say it is easy to route a cable from the armrest past the gear selector, all of the plastic and wood sections are just clipped in place. The problem is how to route it round the back of the ashtray and heater controls. I couldn't find a way, so ended up using the glovebox instead.

To remove the whole centre console is a diffent story! Having completely removed it previously to fix my seized rear blower fan I would recommend to all leaving it alone unless you really have to!

Removing the console is fairly easy, but the big problem is it requires you to remove the gear knob. It sounds daft but caused me a big headache. It is held onto the selector by a plastic circlip which easily snaps. You then have to strip down the gear knob to replace it, which doesn't sound too bad, but once you start you realise it is one of those parts that is really not designed to come apart. I snapped several bits of plastic and it wouldn't stay attached properly afterwards.

Thankfully after several attempts mine is fully repaired, firmly attached and still looks good, but I can see it would be very easy to ruin the gear knob. It is such an obvious part of the interior it would be bother me every day if it didn't look quite right.
smihaialex   
Tue Jul 09 2013, 06:34pm
Thanks a lot for your response - it's incredibly insightful I'll leave it alone for the time being...

Cheerios,
Sam
Rog   
Tue Jul 09 2013, 07:35pm
......so is it relatively easy to get from the glovebox to rear of head unit? Is there a pre existing gap/hole?
C6Dave   
Wed Jul 10 2013, 07:45am

Member No: #1
Rog wrote ...

......so is it relatively easy to get from the glovebox to rear of head unit? Is there a pre existing gap/hole?

Basically, yes.

I ran a cable for the USB outlet along to the fusebox so my memory stick sits behind the fuse cover.

You may need to remove the glovebox retaining screws to get access though
Website
smihaialex   
Wed Jul 10 2013, 09:17pm
I managed to remove the glovebox compartment altogether and indeed it's quite easy to find space to run a cable to the back of the head-unit - also AFAIK, that's how they install the USB box...

But running a cable to the armrest through the center console is a whole new kettle of fish

Cheers,
Sam
smihaialex   
Mon Jul 15 2013, 10:34am
Hey guys, so... I don't know how to tell you this but I did it...

Ran this cable - Click Here - from the glovebox to the armrest with no major fuss

Took apart the glovebox compartment, unclipped the aux RCAs, connected the cable to the aux RCAs, slid the other end of the cable - the iPhone/iPad 30-pin connector part, as well as the USB-connector part through the central console lining, took the 30-pin connector through an existing hole in the bottom of the armrest, and stuck the USB end in this Belkin car charger - Click Here - installed in one of the rear cigar lighter sockets (on my LHD car it's the right socket, on your RHD cars it would be the left one )

So now, I have an iPhone connector in the armrest that both charges my iPhone, as well as connects it to the car's audio system for entertainment purposes

No dismantling of the central console, the dashboard, or the armrest necessary

Pics to follow...

Cheerios,
Sam
smihaialex   
Mon Jul 15 2013, 05:33pm
Gentlemen,

As promised, some photos...

Cheers,
Sam
JohnB   
Mon Jan 07 2019, 02:13pm
Member No: #1968
Hi Sam
I'd also like to run a cable from the glovebox to the centre consol. Looks like you posted some photos at some point but they seem to be missing from the post. I don't suppose you've still got the?
Thanks
John

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club