Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Winter Tyres when to use and what to be aware of.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Fri Feb 24 2012, 02:43pm

Member No: #1
OK given the sudden increase in temperatures here on the North East Coast I was wondering what to do about the Michelin Pilot Alpin's currently on the car so contacted Citroen.

Here is the response

Thank you for your enquiry about Michelin Cold Weather Tyres.

We recommend that the appropriate tyre is used for the driving conditions, i.e. normally this would be Cold Weather tyres though the winter months and standard tyres (often called "summer" tyres in other European countries) through the rest of the year.

However, if necessary, it is possible, safe and legal to use Cold Weather tyres throughout the year.

However, there can be some disadvantages of using Cold Weather tyres through the summer months, such as:

- Dry braking: Cold Weather tyres may have a longer stopping distance than the equivalent standard tyres in dry conditions.

- The general level of handling and steering is not normally quite as precise as it would be with the equivalent standard tyre range.

- If you are using the Cold Weather tyres throughout the summer months, the tyres will wear and the remaining tread depth will be reduced when it comes to the next winter period. Therefore their effectiveness in winter conditions, such as snow, slush and rain, will be diminished compared to what it might have been had the Cold Weather tyres been removed for the summer months and then refitted for winter.

The cold weather tyre that Michelin manufacture is the Alpin range. These tyres are specially designed for use on wintry roads and in temperatures lower than 7ºC, a cold weather tyre provides reduced braking distanced in comparison with a summer tyre, not only on snow and ice, but also on wet surfaces.

We would advise fitting cold weather tyres from the end of September through to the the end of March.

Should you require any further assistance please contact us on 0845 366 1590 (UK & NI) or 0044 (0) 1782 401590 (ROI), quoting the reference number above.
So, looks like I will be going back on the Falkens in the not to distant future unless things take a bad turn weatherwise.

Those of you in Northern Scotland though may want to wait until the end of March though given all the rain you have been getting.
Website
gmerry   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 02:28pm
Member No: #21
Hi all, we have had a few days now of quite heavy snow and some of that fell quickly and overwhelmed what grit was on the roads, to the extent that there were a lot of stuck cars and others were sliding down roads out of control.

The C6 on its Avon Ice Touring winter tyres managed to get up the icy side roads where I live. Audi's and Skodas seem to be really haveing a bad time of it.

Anyway, these Avon Ice Tourings are now on their 4th Scottish winter so come April I shall be shopping for at least two new winter tyres - I'll probably just stick with the same tyre brand and type

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 02:45pm

When I traded the 2.7 I kept the Michelin Alpina winter tyres and have had them on the 3.0 since October and have had no problems getting around in the snow either
Website
gmerry   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 03:30pm
At 4 years of use, I'm fairly happy that I have had my moneys worth.

Say £110 x 4 (tyres) + £60 x 4 (steel rims) thats £170 per year as a cost to keep mobile and avoid minor crashes good value in my book. Forgot to factor in the cost of 4 additional tyre pressure sensors - purely optional.

Regards
G
smihaialex   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 05:55pm
Member No: #1031
From what I know, unless average temperatures reach values of more than 7 dec. C (45 deg. F) on a daily basis, it's a good idea too keep you winter tyres on, even if there's no rain, snow or ice...

But if temperature averages are significantly higher than 7 deg C on a daily basis and there's little chance of this changing, then definitely go 4 it - switch to summer tyres

Cheerios,
Sam
gmerry   
Thu Nov 14 2013, 10:50am
Hi, for anyone thinking about winter tryes, MyTyres do complete steel wheel/tyre packages.

Looking at the image of the wheel provided, it looks like the genuine 17" Citroen wheel rim.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Thu Nov 14 2013, 11:00am

Given what it costs each time to swap the tyres over (£10 a wheel including balancing) on my alloys, I might look for a set of 18" steel rims to put the Alpina's on.
Website
e3steve   
Thu May 01 2014, 07:41am
Member No: #1163
I've been using Pirelli Sottozero 'Runflats' over the worst of the (very wet) winter, and I'm having them swapped out today for some Falken Zeix 912 part-worns (6+mm left) that I've been amassing. I'll report on those elsewhere on the forum in due course.

The Pirellis have been behaving impeccably, in both wet and dry conditions. The downside is that they're a bit harsh and noisy on the road; I suspect the runflat aspect is causing that.

We've had no snow this winter, dahn saahf, so I can't yet comment on their abilities on that score.

The wet grip afforded has been astounding. When launched, using manual shift and in first gear, on wet tarmac, leaving my driveway, uphill and at 45º to my desired direction of travel, there's a blip from the ESP indicator but the old thing just lifts up her skirts and complies.

Sideways grip through wet roundabouts and twisty bends is most impressive, as is hard braking, with ne'er more than the mildest of intervention by the ABS. Standing water on motorways and at the legal-limit-plus is displaced with less drama than CBBC's programs for pre-school-aged littl'uns.

Dry performance is more than competent, bettering the budget tyres that shod the alloys when I bought the car a year ago; sharp braking requires the closing of passengers' eyes in order to prevent their eyeballs from popping out under the sudden inertia, and spirited enjoyment of the Hydractive system's instantaneous adjustments through rural open roads is rewarding.

The wear factor is acceptable given the security that these part-worn winter tyres have afforded; they're now about 2mm less than they were three thousand miles ago. And I have purposely given them a hard life.

Very impressed!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club