Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Noisy Sticky Folding Door Mirrors....

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Tue Apr 20 2010, 02:30pm

Member No: #1
Well my door mirrors had got progressively more noisy and 'jerky' when folding to the point where 1 failed to unfold last week and I had to lock and unlock the car before it finally decided to open.

I put it down to all the salt and grit used on the roads over this hard winter so decided to give them a spray of 'ferrosol' (more info - Click Here - )

I haven't got a video of 'before' (forgot to take one be honest)

But here is how they should open and close and sound after a small spray of a great lubricant.

BTW the 'Shine' is thanks to a new coating of 'Swissxax' this morning
Website
tonyrome   
Tue Apr 20 2010, 02:41pm
Member No: #15
Nice smooth action there, Dave! Mine are still fine but it's certainly a good idea to keep them well lubricated. I've never tried Ferrosol but it looks like a decent product from the link you provided. Is it readily available in stores or only online?
C6Dave   
Tue Apr 20 2010, 06:18pm

Online is probably the best way from the link I posted as it's cheaper than from the manufacturers themselves online store

Someone else advised to use it (think it was gmerry, apologies if it was someone else)
Website
gmerry   
Tue Apr 20 2010, 07:49pm
Member No: #21
Dave, yes it was me that advised use of the Ferrosol, originally for the under bonnet alloy components such as suspension castings. I'm also using their wash and polish, plus degreaser for cleaning the alloys.

Still looking for a leather cleaner/feeder if anyone has a good recommendation.

Ta

G
Spaceman   
Sun Apr 25 2010, 11:23am
Member No: #96
I would definitely recommend remedial action.

My passenger side mirror has stripped the teeth in the mechanism.

Dealer quotes ~£460 for new mirror assembly!
C6Dave   
Sun Apr 25 2010, 11:46am

Hmm...... The motor itself retails for £73.00 inc Vat - part number 6602.37

Have you taken the mirror off the car for a look to see if you can get away with only the motor?

Click to enlarge:

Website
gmerry   
Sun Apr 25 2010, 05:35pm
Member No: #21
Dave, how did you you introduce the lubricant into the mirror mechanism. Did you need to partially dismantle?

Separate post, has anybody put a bit of lube into the spolier mechanism. Last time I looked it was a bit rusty in there!

Regards
C6Dave   
Sun Apr 25 2010, 06:29pm

No I just sprayed it in Gordon - when the mirror is folded in the 'closed' position, there is a small access corridor (for the sake of a better description) so I sprayed the ferrosol in there and around the bottom.

Then I opened and closed the mirrors a few times and it did the trick.

You can access the spoiler by putting the wipers in 'park' by turning the ignition off and flicking the wiper switch within 1 minute.

The wipers park to clean or change the blades and the spoiler is raised so you can clean underneath.
Website
Spaceman   
Thu May 06 2010, 11:03pm
Member No: #96
C6Dave, thanks for the info. I have dismantled the mirror. The motor shown (8) is the mirror up/down left/right adjustment motor, not the folding motor. The folding motor is combined into a casting which the dealer told me was not available as a separate part.

I'd be interested if you had any other info or part numbers in your parts list which I could use!

C6Dave   
Fri May 07 2010, 07:20am

Unfortunately that was the Citroen part list so if the motor is part of the main casting then you will need to replace that.

Whether or not you can find a used one in a breakers yard or on eBay well.............
Website
Trainman   
Fri May 07 2010, 08:58am

Member No: #86
I know there is a C6 in a breakers not far from me, I posted a link to their website - Click Here -
C6Dave   
Fri May 07 2010, 10:42am

Trainman wrote ...

I know there is a C6 in a breakers not far from me, I posted a link to their website - Click Here -

I've checked

The car appears to be a 'Flood Damage' write off and is being broken for parts.

The Wing Mirrors are available at £195 + Vat each so £229.12 (50% of the cost of a new one)

The direct telephone number to order them (and anything else like wheels etc. is 01695 455777

EDIT: OK as we were straying off topic and there is a car being broken for salvage, I have moved some posts over to: - Click Here -

Lets continue the 'salvage' questions there.
Website
travlician   
Wed Jul 27 2011, 01:10am
Member No: #350
Spaceman, any tips on how to dismantle the mirror? I don't find that info in the Citroen docs I've got.
Radox   
Fri Feb 19 2021, 11:22am
Member No: #4044
Just a quick tip for those who might be interested. I have had a slowly/noisy unfolding mirror problem for about a year. WD40 did not help. Silicone spray also didn't seem to do much.

But a few days ago, I sprayed the mirrors (in the front hole in a closed position) with this thing and now they open fast, exactly at the same time, and without nearly ANY noise. The first morning I unlocked my car after the spraying, I thought my mirrors were broken. They were THAT quiet.

If you are living in Germany, you might try it:

- Click Here -

Würth Trocken-Gleitspray PTFE (Dry Lubricant Spray PTFE)
Trainman   
Sat Feb 27 2021, 08:32pm

Member No: #86
This is taken from the Citroen Car Club magazine.

My C6 passenger door mirror had a mind of its own, sometimes it would retract and other times it would make a stripped gear noise.

The problem is the [%*^#@!] motor connection contact pads on a small green printed circuit board located under the motor.

The connections are simply two beryllium spring blades which press down onto the two contact pads on the PC board. check out the photos the repair is to put a blob of solder on the burnt contact pads and file the blobs to a flat.

The mirror housing comes apart from the front to back. i.e. the front has to be removed first.

Unless you are a reasonable mechanic with loads of patience. This is an enjoyable but fiddly undertaking. I used an old model aeroplane propellor or two to prize the joints apart. It takes some force, once the front cover is off the tabs holding the rear moulding can be accessed.

There is no need to remove the mirror housing from the door. Plastic is brittle in cold weather so please be careful.

Use some 1200 wet and dry rubbing down paper to dress the motor contact blades, then polish with solvol autosol until nice and shiny.

Remove the locking screws to allow the central housing to be lifted slightly to clear the housing.

I must admit it was a tad on the challenging side.

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club