Which is the right oil for 2.7HDi

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Gobxoy   
Sat Dec 22 2012, 11:03am
Member No: #786
neal2175ds wrote ...

Interesting as Tolleys are my dealer too....
Thats what I thought as you ticked all the boxes for good service, on this forum. I didn't mention names in case it wasn't them. It may be worth having a word with them, just to check that the oil installed is a specified one? I would be suprised if it wasn't. You could bring the next change forward, and specify INEO from now on rather than waste good oil, as from what I beleive the problems start as the oil gets older and starts to lose it's properties?

C6Dave   
Mon Jan 07 2013, 11:19am

Member No: #1
Just a quick heads up on an alternative to Total.

Comma Pro Tech is ACEA C2 Low Saps and available through most Motor Factors/Auto Spares shops
Website
buggebubben   
Mon Jan 28 2013, 09:19pm
Member No: #1017
I was thinking of refill about a half a litre today in my 2,2 HDi and took a look in the garage at home.
I found an oil that I bought for my wifes Vauxhall, that is now sold. Is this oil ok to use in my 2,2 hdi? If not I have no problem buying new correct oil but since I have 10 litres of GM oil for no use...
Spec: GM Dexos2 5W-30
ACEA A3/B4, C3, API SM/CF
GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025
BMW Longlife-04
VW 502.00, 505.00, 505.01
MB 229.51
Tjensen   
Mon Jan 28 2013, 09:59pm
Member No: #954
It is not correct. It should be C2. But it is probably "almost right"(C3). A little too much SAPS (not good for the FAP filter) Maybe someone can give a better guess than me, but I would think it is OK if you change more often
buggebubben   
Mon Jan 28 2013, 10:51pm
Thanks, would the
TOTAL Quartz Ineo ECS 5W-30 be a better choice?
Or is there even better oils out there?
I prefer the best =)
gmerry   
Tue Jan 29 2013, 07:12am
Member No: #21
Hi there.

The key specification amongst the list you have is ACEA C3.

This has exactly the same chemical restriction as C2 so will have no negative impact on the particle filter or any other emission device. The only functional difference between C2 and C3 is that the HTHS (high temperature high shear) viscosity is higher for C3 than it is for C2. There will be slight negative impact on fuel consumption and oil films in some bearings will not be as designed. (Basically this is a BMW approach to oil specifications - very old fashioned in terms of modern engines).

However there will be no ill effect from using this oil.

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 29 2013, 07:48am

Member No: #1
@buggebubben there is a FAQ on servicing with a list of alternative oils at the end - Click Here -
Website
buggebubben   
Tue Jan 29 2013, 11:18am
Thanks all.
When driving my old Alfa 166 3.0 I used the Castrol Magnatec but the engine was then very noisy with that oil even though it was recommended specs from Alfa.
Then changed to the Castrol Edge 5W-40 and it went completely quiet and ran much smoother.
Since I think my 2.2 Hdi is a bit noisy as it is now I was thinking of maybe go for the Castrol Edge again but now with the 0W-30 ACEA C2,C3 MB 229.31/229.51 BMW Longlife-04. Since it can be cold in Sweden some mornings with temps below -20 deg C I think I shall go for the 0W-30 instead...
Am I completely wrong on this`?
gmerry   
Tue Jan 29 2013, 11:26am
Hi Buggebubben, your original question was whether the oil sitting in your garage could be used.....

Note sure that your later post is just going off on some other tangent.

Regards
G
buggebubben   
Tue Jan 29 2013, 01:03pm
The one in my garage will only be used as a fill up since the oil was changed recently by the previuos owner. I got the answer that it could be used from you, many thanks for that.
But for the next service (changing the oil) I´m considering using the best oil available and my thoughts was if I should go for the Castrol Edge then maybe?
This because the current oil is a 5W-30 oil and I think it is better to use a 0W-xx oil up here in Scandinavia.
gmerry   
Tue Jan 29 2013, 01:17pm
Hi, if the oil is good enough for a top up it is also good enough for a service fill. Your 10 liters should do for 2 service fills.

Regards
G

Regarding the 0w bit, check your handbook and see if -20 is within range of a 5w -30 oil. More importantly, did you know that oil thickens as it ages especially with soot levels inherent in diesel applications. If you are concerned about winter viscosity (starting or lubrication), clean 5W-30 will be better than high mileage 0w-30.

kitch   
Mon Oct 12 2020, 05:13pm
Member No: #4485
neal2175ds wrote ...

I have started having oil changes at 10,000 miles. I just wish i had something official to go back to my dealer with to say they put the wrong oil in. The maintenance guide is so unclear.

Its annoying as I get on well with my dealer too, in fact they are excellent but on the oil front from what i am reading here they have used the wrong oil.

Incidentally i rang Citroen UK customer service for their opinion and got told to check with my dealer... .Catch 22 !

Neal, you have pm
MGmike   
Sat Feb 17 2024, 06:45pm
Member No: #3151
Hi,
Liquid Moly Top Tec 4600 SAE 5W-30 looks to be the one to go for.
Mobile 1 FS is not suitable for cars with a DPF. Valvoline and Quaker web sites don't have enough detail to make a recommendation!

What you need to look for is a Low SAPS oil with ACEA C2/C3 specification.

Some sources are now recommending 5W-40 for high mileage cars and I would be tempted to use Liquid Moly's Diesel High Tech SAE 5W-40 but it's your car...

MGmike   
Tue Feb 20 2024, 07:10pm
Member No: #3151
No, not suitable for engines with DPF

Taken from - Click Here -
Product Description
Synthetic technology engine oil for gasoline and Diesel engines (without particulate filters) of light passenger and commercial vehicles.

The only currently available Total oil I can find as suitable is TOTAL Quartz INEO ECS 5W30

It's disappointing Liquid Moly tech support said that none of their oils are suitable! I venture they don't want to be held liable if something goes wrong!

I still believe it's suitable and is listed for use in C6's on an online spares store in Europe. I would be happy to use it in my car but it's your car... You'll need to do your own research on the available oils and reach your own conclusion as to suitability. As mentioned previously you need to look for an ACEA C2 specification engine oil.

Good luck
Paulius   
Sun Mar 24 2024, 02:09pm
Member No: #1821
Hey hey hey! I have some important info on the oil for 2.7 HDi.

The oil you are looking for is 5W-40 Acea C2 or Acea C3.

Engine was designed for 5W40. Later, during the production of the engine, to increase the fuel efficiency of the entire PSA fleet, they changed the recommendation to 5W30. Engines use fractionally less fuel and still may last over 200K kms, albeit be in a much worse state, clackering. But they will run for significantly longer if you go for the thicker 5W40. In the Land Rover community, when it comes to TDV6 engines (same as PSAs 2.7), there is a saying 5Wdumb-ass, when people use 5W30

Now, you must look for the oil to be of Acea C2 or C3 cerfificate. This engine was designed for C2, but C3 is officially compatible with all C2 engines. This ensures that oil-induced soot does not clog-up the DPF filter and, especially, the EGR valves.

The one I would recommend is Castrol Edge Titanium Turbo Diesel 5W-40, it's Acea C3. And change it every 10K kms.
After 200K kms, it's highly recommended to change the oil pump (during the timing belt change).
That should prolong the life of this engine.
I have a suspicion that a 5W-40 won't hur the 3.0 HDI either.

Hope this helps you or any future C6 enthusiasts.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club