Quadricycles and kids

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ciao_chao   
Fri Nov 23 2012, 11:16pm
Member No: #518
Just seen this article - Click Here -

They're letting 16 year olds out on "mopeds" from next year. They'll be limited to 28 mph. My problem is they're obviously not quadricycles or mopeds which is fine in the case of the G-Wiz (which doesn't have the range to roam out of the city), these could be just round the corner on some country road pootling around at 28mph, or worse something you could rush up on at speed on a dual carriageway.

I don't really see a great problem with 16 year olds driving, just that being limited to 28 mph on roads posted 60/70mph is rather disconcerting, at least with a tractor you can see it from miles off.
C6Dave   
Sat Nov 24 2012, 07:40am

Member No: #1
Just shy of £10,000 to buy one, then there is the issue of insurance. Given the limited availability and expense of insurance at 17 years old I can't imagine insurance companies falling over themselves to offer terms to a 16 year old who wants to drive one of those
Website
Gobxoy   
Sat Nov 24 2012, 09:28am
Member No: #786
bet there's going to be 16 year olds queing around the block at their local axim dealer. Brilliant so two years time you'l be able to pick one up for say £4000, I live about 3 miles from city center just wot I need to pop to the shops save wareing out my C6, going a storm in portugal
I’ve been held up behind lots of these little diesel Aixams on the continent. Portugal seems to be rammed to the gun’lls with them chugging about their tax-free business - usually driven my old men. If you’re sixteen, however, a top speed of 30mph is not important. It’s faster than walking, it’s much cooler than public transport and you can go where you want, when you want. 30mph is not a handicap, it’s a new freedom. And you can listen to your tunes in a warm environment and carry a passenger in the sporty bucket seat alongside you. That spare seat alongside the driver isn’t just a seat, it’s a whole new-found, sumptuously upholstered sex appeal.

Read more: - Click Here -

ciao_chao   
Sun Nov 25 2012, 12:22am
Member No: #518
£4k is about realistic for a second hand one, there are a few already going for around that now...these things aren't new just new rules mean kids can drive them.
drummond   
Mon Nov 26 2012, 09:17am
Member No: #238
In France, they're used by repeat drunks (inter alia!!)and those who get 12 points on their licences, on the basis that it's quicker than a bicycle. You don't need a driving licence (in France) to get one.

I see some elderly people in these, as well, mainly because they are relatively cheap to insure.

IMHO, and having seen one or two after the accident, a bicycle has more protection....

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club