Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

Comfort

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
COLINJ   
Mon Nov 12 2012, 09:17am
Member No: #697
Hi all,
Having had my C6 for just over a year, I've took the ride quality for granted, couple days ago I went out in my bosses merc E320 (2011 model) and was shock with the difference in ride/comfort quality, ok the C6 wasn't as fast, but the merc seems very sluggish round corners at speed it felt like the back end wanted to let go, never had the feeling on the c6,

The steering was very positive on the merc, unlike the 6 you have to get use to the lightness of the steering wheel, the interior of the merc was nice but everything was all in one area, the seats wasn't as comfy, all in all I'll stick with my 6,

End of my road test.
C6Dave   
Mon Nov 12 2012, 09:25am

Member No: #1
Couldn't be tempted eh
Website
Trainman   
Mon Nov 12 2012, 10:54am

Member No: #86
Colin,

I've said this before, and Yes, I'll say it again...... The C6 is like a big comfy armchair, it may not fit the decor, but by god it's comfy...............
skipppy   
Mon Nov 12 2012, 11:59am
Member No: #914
I move between Comfort and Sport settings often unable to decide which I prefer, yet when touring the Sport setting seems the way to go. Otherwise you lunge about over the bumps on our very ordinary roads in the Great Southern Land - Oz.

But you're right, the C6 sticks to the road like pooh to a blanket all the time.

Mine came with Michelin Primacys as OE, but the C5 while similarly equipped aquaplaned five times in wet weather last week during a wet tour of NSW country - not amused. My reaction is to consider Contis for the C5.
Big fan of Contis.

Car manufacturers aren't likely to overspend on OE tyres - especially Korean ones, but don't start me ...
smihaialex   
Mon Nov 12 2012, 01:54pm
Member No: #1031
Same here - I normally drive a 5 Series BMW and while it's a very solid car and I very much enjoy the rear wheel drive, it's no C6... In any department.

Interior trim is inferior - lots of squeaky plastics...

Diesel engine noise is awful (it's supposedly the same 163 BHP 2.0 Diesel engine as fitted to the Citroën C5, but it sounds way louder - like a tractor).

I like the seats and the driving position, but ride quality is harsh - you feel every crack in the pavement, and that's with 17" alloys - with 18" alloys it's almost undrivable. When accidentally hitting a pothole, the noise of the 5 Series Beemer is somewhat less loud than the C6, but you feel it. In the C6 it is the other way around - you hear it, but you feel nothing

And the handling, while very controlled, it's not as confidence boosting as the C6's... I guess I can really feel the C6's suspension's influence. And the ±100Kg of extra weight and the longer wheel base don't hurt either
David K   
Tue Nov 13 2012, 10:06pm
Member No: #42
COLINJ wrote ...

The steering was very positive on the merc, unlike the 6 you have to get use to the lightness of the steering wheel

They actually changed the steering on the C6 in the beginning of 2009 and made it heavier. In my opinion I like the heavier steering much better, it gives a better feeling and feels safer in higher speeds.
COLINJ   
Wed Nov 14 2012, 09:35am
Member No: #697
Hi David k, the steering does get heavier @ 65+mph when i first got the 6 i oversteer at almost every bend/corners haha
Tjensen   
Wed Nov 14 2012, 10:12am
Member No: #954
Steering is absolutely OK on C6, but not quite as good as the DIRAVI on the XM and CX. DIRAVI was lighter and quicker, without inviting oversteer, even self-returning. But you had to get used to it, so it scared off some customers.
drummond   
Wed Nov 14 2012, 12:39pm
Member No: #238
Ah, Diravi, I had it on my father's (new) 1974 CX Super. No-one understood it then, in France- for me, at 18, it was brilliant, and a complete revelation after the DS. They made it more sticky by the end, (or perhaps I'm dreaming), but I thought it was the best steering ever.

BTW-I saw my last CX, E654 FTF, at the ICCCR, complete with a huge trailer. Don't suppose anyone knows where it is?
Gobxoy   
Wed Nov 14 2012, 12:55pm
Member No: #786
skipppy wrote ...

Mine came with Michelin Primacys as OE, but the C5 while similarly equipped aquaplaned five times in wet weather last week during a wet tour of NSW country - not amused. My reaction is to consider Contis for the C5.
Big fan of Contis.

Mine too came with Primacy HP's OEM, but I noticed that other models were also coming in with Conti's and I think Bridgestone???????????????????????????????????????????

Anyway on winter tyres now Conti's on 17" riders better and you don't get the rubber band crash bang sound from the 45 profiles. The arches look a little underwhelmed as they 1" difference is all on the outside
skipppy   
Wed Nov 14 2012, 01:17pm
Member No: #914
My leaning toward Contis comes from experience on several other types of car when they've been consistently excellent, so that I now trust them a great deal.

I do favour drainage in wet weather though - not a big ask I feel - especially when the tyres in question are quite new. And it wasn't as if the road was streaming wet.

However, this is a Comfort thread and I haven't found a reason to criticise the OE Michelins to date on that score. I run the 35 lbs recommended elsewhere on this site and it feels adequate to me. A new set of tyres will usually feel quite different though and softer due to deeper tread I'd imagine.

Interesting to note perhaps that in Formula Ford racing on road radials the fastest tyre is one scrubbed down to a shallow tread depth. This means you don't get the tread 'walking' about and distorting, so that the tread blocks are more stable.

Citroen C6 and Formula Ford in the same thread - go figure.
C6Dave   
Wed Nov 14 2012, 03:17pm

Member No: #1
Gobxoy wrote ...

Mine too came with Primacy HP's OEM, but I noticed that other models were also coming in with Conti's and I think Bridgestone???????????????????????????????????????????

DS3 came with Bridgestones from launch and was one of the 1st for a long time not to be on Michelin
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club