Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

The subtle details thread

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
michaelb   
Sat Oct 30 2010, 12:52pm
Member No: #14
We did this on the Alfa 166 forum and it threw up some interesting posts. The game is you have to post a description of any of the C6's subtle details which you like and why. There's no point talking about the suspension for example because it's fairly obvious to anyone that the C6's suspension is marvellous. You might for example talk about how you like how the 'C' pillar is resolved into the tail lights.

You can discuss any attribute of the car be it aesthetic, dynamic, or specification.

I'll kick off with two examples:-

Auto-muting radio.

I love the way when the radio's reception is cut, for example when you drive into a tunnel, once the signal is lost the radio auto-mutes itself rather than the horrible buzz of other cars. Clever.

Multiple speeds on the Cruise Control.

Maybe it's covered in the user manual (I must read it some day) but I love the way the Cruise Control can have two speeds set. I find this very useful for dealing with roadworks on the motorway. Cruise at 70 mph, change it to 50 mph when required and once clear of the restriction press and hold the "+" button and it will resume at 70 mph again. Very handy
RichardKC6   
Sat Oct 30 2010, 03:04pm
Member No: #49
The curve of the upper dashboard

The shape of the dashboard on the cream interior, with the black section for HUD/diffuser etc, forms the same shape as the original CX's dash - the curve, with the instruments resting on it. The reflection is annoying, but it reminds me of an early S1 CX.

The nod to the DS in the dash

The radio/heating console is ugly. Damned ugly. However, it also matches the engine intrusion into the mid-front DS' layout.

The side running lights

I just like them. Particularly the front ones.

The one-gallon washer reservoir

It might not be a gallon. It might be just over - but regardless, if I wait until the third "low screenwash" warning, generally I can buy one of the large bottles of pre-mixed screenwash at a services and empty the whole thing into the tank, leaving the empty container for recycling. Much nicer than buying a small one, or carting about a half empty one in the boot or interior of the car.

And on my 1:18 Norev model - the opening doorbins that work just like the real car, on all four opening doors. I want to find an iron grey one of this model, and then a blue one (which has cream) and hopefully put together a perfect replica of my car. Albeit at £100 or so cost...
verycleverman   
Sat Oct 30 2010, 04:10pm
Member No: #65
The Parking Ticket Clip

I love the parking ticket clip on the inside of the windscreen - Oh Damn, I forgot, they left it out of the C6

Pete.
black_exclusive   
Sat Oct 30 2010, 05:29pm
Member No: #126
The lights.

I love the way that they turn as you go around the corner and passengers not used to the car at night are confused and don't known how it's happening...either that or they're drunk!
RichardKC6   
Sat Oct 30 2010, 06:55pm
verycleverman wrote ...

The Parking Ticket Clip

I love the parking ticket clip on the inside of the windscreen - Oh Damn, I forgot, they left it out of the C6

Pete.

Hehehe, I liked that in my Xantia....
Trainman   
Sun Oct 31 2010, 08:43am

Member No: #86
RichardKC6 wrote ...

The side running lights

I agree Richard, It's just a shame you can't get them to work without the headlights

RichardKC6 wrote ...

And on my 1:18 Norev model - the opening doorbins that work just like the real car, on all four opening doors. I want to find an iron grey one of this model, and then a blue one (which has cream) and hopefully put together a perfect replica of my car. Albeit at £100 or so cost...

Check out Ebay International there were a few on there the other day,

For me though it's the way that the rear spoiler drop's as you reduce speed and the ambient door lighting at night.
RichardKC6   
Sun Oct 31 2010, 10:49am
Trainman wrote ...

RichardKC6 wrote ...

The side running lights

I agree Richard, It's just a shame you can't get them to work without the headlights

I think you can, if you can get the dealer to set the "UK Day Running Lights" - which from what I can gather has the DRLs paired with side and running lights so the tail lights are on too. I'm not sure what other things this changes though, as I've previously suspected this setting/group of settings is what causes the "Menu" button to be deactivated on a moving car.
michaelb   
Sun Oct 31 2010, 10:55am
Member No: #14
Trainman wrote ...
and the ambient door lighting at night.

They are sweet, but so subtle I've only ever noticed them in the middle of nowhere in Ireland. On UK roads there always seems to be too much light pollution around to see them. Subtle indeed
Ped   
Sun Oct 31 2010, 04:22pm
Member No: #82
I like the rear blind. Not sure why more manufacturers don't install them, but I had one in my Xantia and they seem to be a Citroen mainstay. I pretty much always leave mine up as it doesn't reduce rear visibility at all.
RichardKC6   
Sun Oct 31 2010, 05:00pm
They're common in many other cars; many BMW and Mercedes models have versions that can be raised electronically...
C6Dave   
Mon Nov 01 2010, 08:48am

Member No: #1
It's not like a Golf - sorry but that advert is starting to really grate now.........

Or any of the other German cars I have ever owned

Internal storage bins

Which have sliding covers to hide away all the 'junk' we carry around just in case we ever need it
Website
Trainman   
Mon Nov 01 2010, 09:05am

Member No: #86
C6Dave wrote ...

It's not like a Golf - sorry but that advert is starting to really grate now.........

DAMN, wish I thought of that......
gmerry   
Mon Nov 01 2010, 03:35pm
Member No: #21
Rear mounted battery:

The subtlety of the design is that the heat soak from a turbocharged engine (with twin turbo's and kms of hot piping) doesn't cause heat stress to the battery and should lead to a very long battery life.

Vanity mirror lighting: twin filaments reduce shadows on face, daughter thinks this is fab.

Regards

Gerry
JimC   
Wed Nov 03 2010, 10:53pm
Member No: #229
michaelb wrote ...

Maybe it's covered in the user manual (I must read it some day) but I love the way the Cruise Control can have two speeds set. I find this very useful for dealing with roadworks on the motorway. Cruise at 70 mph, change it to 50 mph when required and once clear of the restriction press and hold the "+" button and it will resume at 70 mph again. Very handy

I haven't managed to get two speed settings for the cruise control... When I press & hold either "Set+" or "Set-" the speed climbes or falls by 5mph increments, not back to the speed I was at previously. Am I missing a trick?

On another point, having just completed a 300 mile round trip, I am really impressed by the quietness & smoothness of the ride. I also like the "Dark" setting for the dashboard lights at night.
RichardKC6   
Thu Nov 04 2010, 10:01am
I want to be able to switch "dark" on with a voice command, and the "night" colours to be controlled by the clock rather than the dark button. But "dark" mode is brilliant...
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club