Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Should I buy a new battery? And if so, where the hell is it?!

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
JemShaw   
Sat Nov 03 2012, 12:55pm
Member No: #1084
Hi all,

I'm having a starting problem with my beloved C6. I'm doing very low mileage these days, but need to start the car 2 or 3 times a day, move it 10 feet and switch off. As a result the battery seems to be dying. I've tried leaving the car on trickle charge, but this morning once again needed to jump-start it.

Whenever this happens, the up-down function on the steering wheel adjuster stops working for a week or so, then mends itself.

My first thought is that the battery probably needs replacing, but I can't find the [%*^#@!] thing. The car's 5 years old now, so it could be about due for a new one.

So, two questions: has anyone run across anything similar that might point elsewhere than the battery, or if not, how do I get to the battery to replace it?

I'd be most grateful for your thoughts.
Tjensen   
Sat Nov 03 2012, 03:07pm
Member No: #954
Battery in the boot, left side, See owners handbook. C6 is electrically greedy and quite nervous for undersupply. Strange things happen when capacity runs low. I would both by new battery and check if the charger is good/powerful enough.
JemShaw   
Sat Nov 03 2012, 03:12pm
Tremendous - thank you for such a quick reply! The charger is actually just a solar powered trickle job, so probably not powerful enough for the task.

I'm not surprised it's greedy, given that it has more gadgets than James Bond's cigarette lighter - and my grandkids keep leaving the rear seat heaters on!

Thanks again
C6Dave   
Sat Nov 03 2012, 04:04pm

Member No: #1
Be aware of battery size and rating:
gmerry wrote ...

Well, Battery arrived and DSharples appears to be correct.

Old battery dimensions are 353L x 190H x 175W. B13 type hold down, Type 1 terminals. Pole position 1. Any battery ordered to these physical /dimensional specifications will fit.
The actual original battery is a VARTA with a massive 950A. No Amphour capacity stated on the labels.

I've checked the various battery websites including Bosch and they all recommend much smaller batteries. Must be a systematic mistake.

The new battery is much smaller and only 680A CCA so will be a bit marginal.

Looking at the Varta battery search website, the largest capacity battery that will fit is designated H3 and is 100AHour and 830CCA. So this would possible be the best available replacement.

So hopefully my mistake will help point someone else in the right direction

Regards
G

Battery Search

Search for vehicles and technical data by VARTA short code
Looking for technical information about a battery? Please enter the VARTA short code (without spaces)- eg C22.

You can also enter just a part of the code (at least one character) plus an asterisk, e.g. C*.
Country

Article Number

600 402 083 3162
Product Line

SILVER dynamic
Voltage [V]12
Battery Capacity [Ah]100
Cold-test Current, EN [A]830
Length [mm]353
Width [mm]175
Height [mm]190
Hold-down Type B13
Pole Positions 0
Terminal Type 1
Short Code H3
Uk Nr.019

OE References: BMW, Daimler, GM-Group, Fiat Group, Ford Group, Opel, PSA, VW Group, ...

BENEFITS OF SILVER dynamic:

For vehicles with extremely high performance demands

Ideal for vehicles with a large number of electrical devices

High-end product

Perfect for use with diesel engines

PowerFrame® technology for a longer service life

- Click Here -

- Click Here -

Website
verycleverman   
Sat Nov 03 2012, 05:26pm
Member No: #65
JemShaw wrote ...

I'm not surprised it's greedy, given that it has more gadgets than James Bond's cigarette lighter - and my grandkids keep leaving the rear seat heaters on!

The seat heaters shouldn't be a problem - unless you leave something heavy on them - they have a weight switch protecting them.

Pete.
JemShaw   
Sun Nov 04 2012, 10:35am
Thanks guys, really appreciated. And I didn't know that about the weight sensors - I'll stop moaning at people now, at least about leaving the heaters on!

Oh, by the way, before I found this forum I posted the question on JustAnswers (yes, a dumb move, I know). 24 hours later, by which time you guys had given these answers, I received a response telling me it could be under the bonnet or in driver or passenger footwell. They debited my PayPal account £22 for this wisdom.

Refund requested and wisdom acquired. I should know better.
C6Dave   
Sun Nov 04 2012, 11:55am

If we don't have the answer, 'JustAnswers' are highly unlikely to and why didn't their response include the boot?
Website
magicands   
Sun Nov 04 2012, 04:39pm
Member No: #1021
SILVER dynamic
Voltage [V]12
Battery Capacity [Ah]100
Cold-test Current, EN [A]830
Length [mm]353
Width [mm]175
Height [mm]190
Hold-down Type B13
Pole Positions 0
Terminal Type 1
Short Code H3
Uk Nr.019
As per the thread above, this IS THE RELACEMENT BATTERY FOR A C6
Website
JemShaw   
Mon Nov 05 2012, 09:30am
Agreed Dave - it was my own impatience and stoopidity. In fairness to JustAnswers they refunded my dosh in less than 10 minutes.
James   
Mon Nov 05 2012, 11:41am
Member No: #817
All good then

There are forums I'm on where a new user posting a question like that would have met with merciless "Some b*gg*r's nicked your battery" comments. Nice to see we're above that here too.
JemShaw   
Mon Nov 05 2012, 11:44am
...or disappointing, possibly.
C6Dave   
Mon Nov 05 2012, 02:24pm

JemShaw wrote ...

...or disappointing, possibly.

err no.....

We do try and be civilised about it all
Website
Gobxoy   
Mon Nov 05 2012, 03:14pm
Member No: #786
This is what it looks like the big black thing on the left of frame (see arrow)

smihaialex   
Mon Nov 05 2012, 04:54pm
Member No: #1031
Hi guys, just a quick interjection here... Indeed, the original battery is a huge 100Ah Varta and if you go for a low end replacement, even the low end versions of Bosch and Varta (the black ones), you need to go for something big like that in order to ensure that you don't replace it every 6 or 12 months...

However, if you go for a Silver Varta or a Silver Bosch (S5), or one of these high capacity - high availability batteries designed especially for Start & Stop equipped cars, then you can safely go for a 75-80Ah battery like the Varta E38 or the Bosch S5 90D23, although I would recommend the Varta because it's got 750 CCA to the Bosh's 650 CCA (according to the C6 service manual the battery requires at least 600 CCA in order to be considered a proper replacement for the C6)

Just sayin'
Sam
Stealth   
Sat Nov 17 2012, 10:06pm
Member No: #986
Hi,

My car has a replacement fitted (I don't know how old but possibly three years) that has 680 CCA - well short of the prescribed 800+ CCA. Everything seems fine but I want to replace this battery before next winter.

One thing that is obvious is that economy mode kicks in very quickly once the engine is turned off and, just lately, the steering wheel doesn't always move to the driving position until the engine has been started. I suspect available power is a little on the low side.

I've found a Varta distributer (which isn't that easy in Australia) and will enquire about the cost of a replacement 830CCA on Monday.

For anyone else in Australia (Sydney) thats's interested, here's the link to the supplier:

- Click Here -
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club