C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Citroen C6 cam belt change

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
alanr7   
Mon Oct 22 2012, 07:09pm
Member No: #304
Hi I have recently purchased an 06 2.7 Citroen C6 Exclusive, the mileage is coming up to 100,000 miles, Citroen garage in Stockport Manchester have an offer of cam belt change for £299, the car has a very good service record, I only cover 5000 miles a year and I intend to keep the car the question is do I change the belt while this offer is on or is it ok to wait how good is the history of failures of the cam belt on the C6,the recommended interval is 160,000 miles or 10 years please any good advice would be welcome thanks alan
cruiserphil   
Mon Oct 22 2012, 07:54pm

Member No: #38
Alanr7,

That sounds very good value. At 100,000 miles and if the money suits, I'd go for it. I have being doing some background work on tooling up to do the two cars myself and the tooling alone will set me back much more than what you are quoting!

Regards,

Phil C.
michaelb   
Mon Oct 22 2012, 08:05pm
Member No: #14
cruiserphil wrote ...
and the tooling alone will set me back much more than what you are quoting!

Manchester is not far from Holyhead
alanr7   
Mon Oct 22 2012, 08:10pm
Member No: #304
hi phil thanks for the advice as you say for that price i think i will go for it thanks alan
cruiserphil   
Tue Oct 23 2012, 05:10am

MichaelB,

Good one! You're a scream! But I'm drawn to the challenge.

Regards,

Phil C.
C6Dave   
Tue Oct 23 2012, 06:41am

Member No: #1
£299 at 100,000 miles is worth paying. If the belt were to fail, then the engine would be pretty much destroyed.

Preventative Maintenance is far better than repairs after a breakdown........
Website
skipppy   
Tue Oct 23 2012, 08:04am
Member No: #914
I'm with the other comments on this one. I had a Subaru boxer that got to 100,000 km when a cam belt was due and when the job was done I then had the sweetest running engine that I was thrilled I'd spent the money.

I wouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth with this offer. I'd think about getting it done even if I only had 80,000 m on the clock.
michaelb   
Tue Oct 23 2012, 02:12pm
Member No: #14
Check the offer. Maybe it's labour only. It does sound too good to be true.

As an ex-Alfa owner I know all about belts letting go prematurely. Alfa did say seven years or 72,000 miles but had to eat their words and change to three years or 36,000 miles because there were so many failures. One of the things I love about my current car is it has CHAINS.

A belt snapping on an '06 C6 would write it off.
C6Dave   
Tue Oct 23 2012, 03:59pm

Member No: #1
michaelb wrote ...

Check the offer. Maybe it's labour only. It does sound too good to be true.

Nope, it's labour and parts

The price could change though and doesn't include the water pump which would seem sensible to replace at the same time if driven off the same belt
Website
Gobxoy   
Tue Oct 23 2012, 07:39pm
Member No: #786
michaelb wrote ...

One of the things I love about my current car is it has CHAINS.
Got a love those chains for reliability, they rarely fail and give lots of 'orible rattley engine noise warning.

On the other hand belts are supremely quite until they break, and then they're even quieter, (or quietest even)

Sub £300 inc parts and vat it's a no brainer.
SKF cam belt kit on fleabay - Click Here - £278 good job this one was sold

Thats for a kit wonder if the Citroën price includes the tensioner??????

Good idea C6D re-water pump at same time, may be check out the alternator pulley they have given trouble.

speedfix   
Tue Oct 23 2012, 09:50pm
Member No: #1043
No mention of cost etc for the time to replace high-pressure fuel pump belt that is due for renewal.
IMO the water pump change is also a must, can be the cause of cam belt failure as can the tensioners.
cruiserphil   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 06:45pm

Lads,

Don't know about your 3.0L HDi's but the 2.7 water pump is driven by the auxiliary belt. It's pulley is smooth and it looks a handy change. I would presume it's a similar arrangement on the 3. Haven't checked up on the 2.2.

Regards,

Phil C.
Ped   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 08:09pm
Member No: #82
I had a dodgy alternator and when they changed it they did the belt too, mileage was about 70K. All under warranty. Nice.
speedfix   
Wed Oct 24 2012, 09:13pm
Member No: #1043
Lads,

Don't know about your 3.0L HDi's but the 2.7 water pump is driven by the auxiliary belt. It's pulley is smooth and it looks a handy change. I would presume it's a similar arrangement on the 3. Haven't checked up on the 2.2.

Yes you are quite correct the 2.7 has a auxiliary belt to drive the pump, however if the cam belt etc is to be changed and the car is going to be kept imo now is the time to do the water pump.

Two hours work on its own at a later date.

Have known the pump failure on this set up to shred the auxiliary belt with other probs and getting in the lower crank cam belt drive pully.

The time for the 2.7 is 5.5hrs and that includes the high pressure fuel belt.

The 3.0 was 4.6 hrs with the 2.2 @ 3hrs.

The 3.0L and 2.2L both have water pumps driven off the cam belts.

C6Chester   
Sun Oct 02 2016, 02:50pm
Member No: #2287
My C6 has been making some strange noises from this area of the car for the last couple of days - it almost sounds like birds tweeting continuously with a bit of rattling thrown in for good measure.

I've had a look in the engine bay and the water pump appears to be shaking about quite a bit when the engine is running. These noises have also coincided with the power steering being intermittent and shaky for the rest 5 or so seconds after turning the engine on. However, the steering works fine after this initial phase.

Does anybody know if these two problems are likely to be related? And would it be the coolant pump that would be responsible for the noises?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club