Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Remote Key Fob Receiver - where in car is it located?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
nevefresca   
Sat Dec 30 2017, 02:27pm
Member No: #895
Where is the receiver for the car key remote fob, fitted in the car and can it be easily accessed. This may be where the problem is when I try to open car door. I have to be right next to the drivers door, have changed battery several times and fob is relatively new but will not operate door lock or lights from afar. Can anyone advise, or, shall I just taken it to the main Citroen Dealer? Thanks.
e3steve   
Sat Dec 30 2017, 11:01pm
Member No: #1163
Does this phenomenon always manifest itself in a particular location? I.e.: at home or work?
nevefresca   
Sun Dec 31 2017, 12:28pm
Member No: #895
It happens anywhere!

What with this and being unable to open passenger door from inside, maybe I should take it to the Citroen dealer?!

Where is the key fob antenna/receiver located and is it something I could fix, or, should it be left to the dealer? Thanks.

2012 - C6 Exclusive 3.0HDi, Polar White, Tan interior - Owned from new!
jamescarruthers   
Sun Dec 31 2017, 02:04pm
Member No: #1548
The dealers are pretty thick when it comes to C6's and will likely take the opportunity to have you pay for parts for their troubleshooting/guess work.

If you can, I'd recommend getting in touch with B&L Autos in Welwyn Garden City and taking a day trip there from Hampshire. I'm in Cambridge but it's worth the effort for their experience. They will drop you at the train station so you can go home if it is longer than a day, or go to London for the day if it is a quick fix.
e3steve   
Wed Jan 03 2018, 07:08pm
Member No: #1163
nevefresca wrote ...

It happens anywhere!

What with this and being unable to open passenger door from inside, maybe I should take it to the Citroen dealer?!

Where is the key fob antenna/receiver located and is it something I could fix, or, should it be left to the dealer? Thanks.

2012 - C6 Exclusive 3.0HDi, Polar White, Tan interior - Owned from new!

I concur that BL Autos, in Welwyn, is your best bet.

The reason I asked about geolocation is simply that ‘local’ RFI (radio frequency interference) at 433mHz, or a harmonic thereof, can cause signal-blocking.

Don’t bother with our local dealers in Hants — Freeborn, Yeoman’s, etc. — they don’t know C6s, nor are they interested in learning about them; they just want your money...
mixolydian   
Thu Jan 04 2018, 11:26pm
Member No: #3382
Radio interference is a good point - it's not as odd as you might at first think. Band 20 of the 4G mobile network is 800Mhz and Band 8 900Mhz (I believe) - the second harmonic of 433Mhz being 866Mhz so it's by no means inconceivable.

However as this is happening in multiple places you'd have to be phenomenally unlucky (or justifiably paranoid!). It would be interesting to scan the RF spectrum if you were getting consistent problems in specific areas. Might be just me, of course.
C6Dave   
Fri Jan 05 2018, 02:25pm

Member No: #1
nevefresca wrote ...

Where is the receiver for the car key remote fob, fitted in the car and can it be easily accessed.

There is a transponder (receiver) aerial around the steering lock for the immobiliser and as the key activates/deactivates it as well as the locks it may well be the same unit which picks up the signal?

Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club