Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: Owners Reviews and Road Tests :: C6 owners and drivers reviews

BLACK LIGNAGE - NOV 2008 MODEL

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
capt109   
Mon Apr 05 2010, 10:56pm
Member No: #47
Have no major issue with the noisy levels in my car, except when the old Michelin's got worn.

Once I have changed to new tyres the levels have returned to normal, which is quieter than most other cars.

The C6 is a good crusing car for covering miles, but I do find that the roads in Europe (especially the French autoroutes, with the cruise set at 130kph) are better than the UK roads and cars completely different and even ride better.
michaelb   
Tue Apr 06 2010, 06:22am
Member No: #14
urb wrote ...

Absolutely no shouting going on in my Car. This i the quietest car I ever traveled in.

This is what I was expecting when I bought this car So I'm curious to hear what your dB reading is.
C6Dave   
Tue Apr 06 2010, 08:32am

Member No: #1
Hmm so the 'anti pinch' isn't letting the windows fully close causing the 'wind noise' that some seem to have, it's a possibility so if you think it's noisy, take the windows down to the bottom and back up and hold the button in the up position for 5 seconds to reset them (done individually)

That way you can rule it out
Website
Franglaisman   
Tue Apr 06 2010, 09:25am
Member No: #66
C6Dave wrote ...

Hmm so the 'anti pinch' isn't letting the windows fully close causing the 'wind noise' that some seem to have, it's a possibility so if you think it's noisy, take the windows down to the bottom and back up and hold the button in the up position for 5 seconds to reset them (done individually)

That way you can rule it out

I had this happen once on the journey - the drivers window didn't fully seal.

So, I opened it again . . . then opened a REAR window a little . . . then closed the driver's window followed by the rear window - it was as if I needed to release 'cabin pressure' a bit to get it to seal properly.

As I say, it happened just the once.

With regards to other cars/comparisons etc. The car I dropped off in Witney en route (for a friend to sell) was a Bentley Arnage (I bought it cheap and enjoyed driving it for a few months) the C6 was/is similarly 'quiet' - I can't re-iterate enough - I love the C6, no issues here at all.

The Arnage . . .

urb   
Thu Apr 08 2010, 05:31pm
Member No: #26
michaelb wrote ...

This is what I was expecting when I bought this car So I'm curious to hear what your dB reading is.

In the next couple of weeks, I can't give you this, but after that I will try to borrow a iphone.
urb   
Fri Apr 23 2010, 04:34pm
Member No: #26
Db reading, running falken's 17". 76

On a road thar has stones mixed in the tarmac and known as noisy.

C6Dave   
Fri Apr 23 2010, 06:13pm

So 76db @ 82 mph (133 KPH) which is better than michaelb's 84 db reading at the same speed on 'glassy smooth' French roads.

Looks like the Falkens win on noise then.
Website
michaelb   
Fri Apr 23 2010, 06:58pm
urb wrote ...

Db reading, running falken's 17". 76

Now that's what I was expecting. And yes, that road looks considerably courser than the super-smooth French Autoroutes I measured on. The iPhone is probably not an acceptably scientific sound pressure meter but 76 dB versus 84 dB is a significant difference even allowing for its "amateurness".

Thanks for posting. Good timing too, I'm visiting Citroën on Monday. I will certainly be discussing this with them.

Kudos to you for driving, measuring and photographing

David K   
Fri Apr 23 2010, 07:36pm
Member No: #42
I had an awful noise level in the car after changing back to summer wheels after the winter. I bought two new tyres, (became Hankook because they won some tests). I decided to put the two old Michelin tires in front with appr. 6 mm left, and my god what a noise it became! It was really, really awful!

After a week with more or less constant headache after coming home from work because of the noise, I decided to buy two new ones and replace the two old. But then I thought about what would happen in case I would change side of the tyres, from left to right and the opposite. The tyres doesn't have a rotation direction, but I just thought it could be worth a try, and see what would happen.

So guess what, after the change I had a completely silent car again! No noise at all anymore from the tyres. Unfortunately I don't have an Iphone so I can't do the Db-trick, but I can assure you it's an amazingly silent car now!

So if your tyres makes a lot of noise, try first with changing the rotation direction before buying new ones. It coud be worth the effort!
C6Dave   
Fri Apr 23 2010, 10:11pm

@ David K - Sounds like there wearing unevenly and when you put them back on the first time they weren't on the same hub they came off.

Interesting observation though.
Website
michaelb   
Sat Apr 24 2010, 07:50am
Firstly, apologies to Franglaisman for hijacking his thread.

David K, that is very interesting information. I can't think of a logical reason why it should work but if it saves the cost of new tyres (mine still have 6 mm of thread) then I'm sure going to try it. Many thanks.

C6Dave, I've taken this thread off-topic but with David K's and Urb's interesting contributions it contains advice which might be interesting to other owners. Can I suggest you please split the tyre discussion off into a new thread. Tnx.
C6Dave   
Sat Apr 24 2010, 10:12am

Sorry, can't split threads with the current software, it needs a new thread completely.

Started it hear: - Click Here -
Website
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club