C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Welsh Police C6

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
tonyrome   
Thu Apr 01 2010, 09:17am
Member No: #15
Has anyone seen this Welsh Police C6 on the roads? Are any other police forces using them?

C6Dave   
Thu Apr 01 2010, 10:13am

Member No: #1
No but I'll ask over at C4owners as we have quite a few members from Wales
Website
verycleverman   
Thu Apr 01 2010, 10:14am
Member No: #65
Your publication of this picture throws up a bit of a poser. The registration indicates that it is from the same batch of imports as mine, first registered 6th March 2006. A check of the 'Press Reviews' brochure that I picked up in '06 reveals that this car was reviewed by The Independant, The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Express.

Oddly enough, those reviews range in date from 17th September 2005 to 23rd April 2006! I suspect, though, that the pictures must have come later as the 06 registration would not have been available until 1st March 06. Anyway, as the police are unlikely to buy second-hand patrol cars, it is more likely that this particular example is being used in the filming of a TV programme or similar.

Pete.
C6Dave   
Thu Apr 01 2010, 11:40am

First suggestions are it may be a car that has been 'seized' by the Police and put into their pool of cars to use. This has happened in Scotland where seized cars that were involved in crime, instead of being sold at auction are added to the police fleet

Be interesting to find out what the reason it is livered up is though.
Website
tonyrome   
Thu Apr 01 2010, 12:57pm
verycleverman wrote ...
it is more likely that this particular example is being used in the filming of a TV programme

Top marks, Pete! An April's Fool
"Citroen C6 dressed as a South Wales police car for the second series of the BBC drama 'Torchwood'. The car belonged to the Citroen press fleet. After Torchwood, the markings were changed and the car appeared in Spooks - Code 9 as a 2012 police car."
tonyrome   
Thu Apr 01 2010, 01:05pm
And here it is in Spooks, who obviously spent a bit more on the markings, which look rather more realistic. Bit silly that they kept the 06 plate, though, when it was supposed to be a 2012 car!

verycleverman   
Sat Apr 10 2010, 04:29pm
Sorry to resurrect this thread, there is obviously a problem with this site as I wasn't aware there had been further posts.
I hadn't given a thought to the date when I first looked at the picture, but well done, Tony.
On a similar theme, I once posted a trivia item on IMDB regarding the film 'Back To The Future'. In BTTF 2, a DS was used as a taxi in the year 2015. It was also used in the same movie as a burnt out wreck in the alternative year 1985. Ironically, the DS was first built in 1955, the third year featured in the BTTF trilogy.

I really must get out more!

Pete.
C6Dave   
Sun Apr 11 2010, 10:05am

verycleverman wrote ...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, there is obviously a problem with this site as I wasn't aware there had been further posts.

Under the login area there is a link to list new items - this lists everything since your last visit - there is also a link at the top of the page 'List New Items' which does the same and you can choose how far to go back in days

The main forum link takes you to a page with any unread posts by user id and there is even an icon to take you to unread posts since your last visit

Even the main forum page has coloured buttons to tell you that there are unread posts, I can do any more I'm afraid
Website
verycleverman   
Sun Apr 11 2010, 03:27pm
C6Dave wrote ...

Under the login area there is a link to list new items - this lists everything since your last visit - there is also a link at the top of the page 'List New Items' which does the same and you can choose how far to go back in days

It wasn't a criticism, Dave, more an observation. I have my login set up to show all new items and, as you can see from the number of my visits, I frequently check for new entries. Some entries, however, slip through the net.

Pete.
verycleverman   
Sun Apr 11 2010, 03:32pm
C6Dave wrote ...

It wasn't a criticism, Dave, more an observation. I have my login set up to show all new items and, as you can see from the number of my visits, I frequently check for new entries. Some entries, however, slip through the net.

Pete.
tonyrome   
Fri Apr 16 2010, 01:01pm
verycleverman wrote ...
Some entries, however, slip through the net.

Yeah, I have noticed that, too, Pete. I've seen 'no further posts' messages and then manually looked and found more.
verycleverman   
Thu Sep 09 2010, 02:24am
Back to the original subject, this car is now selling on ebay - Click Here - having been converted to LPG. Looks like a good buy for someone.

Pete.
C6Dave   
Thu Sep 09 2010, 06:51am

verycleverman wrote ...

Back to the original subject, this car is now selling on ebay - Click Here - having been converted to LPG. Looks like a good buy for someone.

Pete.

Hmm... "The car does approx 350 miles to a full tank of LPG around town costing approx £45.00 so very good and much better than diesal models"

I work that out roughly at the equivalent of 39 mpg if you were buying Diesel so not that much better. However I concede that it's better than the petrol variant and is likely to sound and run smoother than a HDi
Website
tonyrome   
Thu Sep 09 2010, 07:12am
C6Dave wrote ...
Hmm... "The car does approx 350 miles to a full tank of LPG around town costing approx £45.00 so very good and much better than diesal models". I work that out roughly at the equivalent of 39 mpg if you were buying Diesel so not that much better.

It's probably slightly better, Dave, providing the figures he quotes are accurate, of course. You wouldn't quite get 39mpg 'around town' in the 2.7 diesel. Whether you really do get that on LPG, is another question...

However, I've never been convinced by LPG conversions, once the government stopped subsidising them! The cost of the conversion, in this case £2100, would simply never be recovered, with such a small improvement in fuel economy, over the average ownership of a car!

Based on a 5mpg improvement in economy, you'd have to cover 80,000 miles plus just to break even! So, if you're the kind of person who covers 150,000 miles in a car before moving on to something else, you could save yourself a relatively small amount of money but that's hardly an economic prospect for most drivers, is it? I don't think most people who do these conversions ever work out the economics of it, quite honestly. It was different when the government used to heavily subsidise the conversions.

Apart from that, you lose a lot of boot space. A 90 litre tank in the boot! A C6 with a Lounge Pack and no folding seats cannot afford any lost boot space, let alone 90 litres worth!

Oh, and you won't be allowed to use the Channel Tunnel either, as they don't trust the cars not to explode, even with empty LPG tanks!

I suppose it could make a cheap purchase for someone, if he's willing to take offers...
michaelb   
Thu Sep 09 2010, 07:35am
Member No: #14
tonyrome wrote ...

Plus, you lose a lot of boot space. A 90 litre tank in the boot! A C6 with a Lounge Pack and no folding seats cannot afford any lost boot space, let alone 90 litres worth!

Or the loss of the petrol tank - as some conversions do. I had a panicked phone call one night from a friend driving his converted Range Rover which had had the petrol tank replaced by an LPG tank, he was driving through Germany and was getting low on gas. There aren't, or weren't at the time, many LPG stations in Germany. I had to get on the 'Net and find the nearest ones to him. No thanks.

That, and given how fussy the C6's electronic components are at communicating with each other, can you imagine the potential for fault codes and limp-home modes introduced by such a major after-market installation. No thanks.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club