Front indicator lamp fault

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
citrohanc6   
Fri Sep 07 2012, 08:41pm
Member No: #329
Hi all,
well, she's testing the depth of my pockets right now.

One of her minor gremlins is this fault. Replaced bulb mounting plate with the DRL and indicator bulbs.
Fault finding instructions here on the forum (thx Dave) suggests:

Bulb (sorted)
Direction indicators / Side repeater flashers
Connector
Electrical harness
Engine relay unit

Anyone on where the flashers and the engine relay unit are located?
(Front right indicator is the only one at fault)

Tia
Winus
citrohanc6   
Mon Sep 10 2012, 06:27pm
in addition,
seems that the rear indicators are secured by two fuses in the boot.

All indicator lights are controlled by a com 2000(?) box at the steering column. These computers are prone to fail but can be repaired (to a certain extend) by a wd 40 shower cure.

Anybody on the level concerning the controlers of the side flashers and front indicators. Are they activated by the same box? and secured by the same fuse?

Are there any electrical layouts at hand. I know the use of copper is restricted by the can bus set up but copper is the only thing i can handle so far.

Regards,
W

Trainman   
Mon Sep 10 2012, 07:13pm

Member No: #86

I'm totally confused by this! are you asking how to remove the rear light units? If so it 2 plastic wing nut behind 2 sections of the boot liner.

I've not heard of the Comms unit failing on a C6 although I do know they have a bad reputation on other vehicles, particularly the Xsara.
citrohanc6   
Tue Sep 11 2012, 08:28am
Trainman thanks, no a front indicator lamp (right) fails.
The other lamps of that cluster are blinking at double speed.
The cluster at left acts normal.

Bulb is ok
So what to do next?
Lexia read out?

My quest to solve this problem directed me to the com2000.
The unit with stalks for music, wipers and lights/indicators is reputed for many faults (well known problem not only xsara, also Citroen C5 I and II).

Before removing and opening the com2000 unit i've got to be sure that this item is the culprit.
So any advice, in the form of "hey look there" or "There is an actuator in the wing" or so is welcome.

For the first time in forty years of Cit. driving i stranded this summer at the alpe d'huez with a road side repair.
Apart from the streaming flow of bills from the dealer before and after this event, it was the depannage and the following repatriation that gave my confidence in the c6 a severe blow.

Any warm advice is highly appreciated.

Regards
W

Trainman   
Tue Sep 11 2012, 09:12am

In that case you could 'just' be looking at a bad earth contact, couple of questions though:

Are we talking about the one under the front bumper?

How do you know the bulb is ok?

when you say "The other lamps of that cluster are blinking at double speed" are you referring to the Daytime Running Light?

You see I'm just wondering if the actual unit is faulty, and it's nothing to do with the comms 2000.

From what I understand the DRL and indicator bulbs are soldiered to a circuit board, and that if one of the bulbs 'blows' then the board needs replacing, However, they are not to expensive.

I stand to be corrected though
C6Dave   
Tue Sep 11 2012, 12:14pm

Member No: #1
Trainman wrote ...

From what I understand the DRL and indicator bulbs are soldiered to a circuit board, and that if one of the bulbs 'blows' then the board needs replacing, However, they are not to expensive.

I stand to be corrected though

No your correct. The bulb unit is both bulbs, indicator and DRL which you replace as a unit 6303 91 for circa £16.57 inc Vat UK Retail from Citroen

If 'Flashing' at double speed, it means a bulb is faulty.

Once out remove the power cable (b) and take of the cover (2) - take care here as the retaining clips are plastic, use a small flat blade screwdriver to gently prise out.

This is what you have (Click to enlarge)

The bulb unit is shown here in more detail (Click to enlarge)

The Daylight running bulb holder is annotated: P1 5 WST (They're known to Citroen as HP24W)

The Indicator bulb holder is annotated: PY 16 WST
Website
citrohanc6   
Tue Sep 11 2012, 03:32pm
@trainman, Yep that's the one i'm having trouble with. The DRL is ok, the side flasher and the rear indicator are blinking at double speed.
@trainman & dave, your both correct, been there done that with help from the FAQ (thanks dave). Replaced old bulb unit for a new one. Jittered the connection and sprayed the pins and that's where my trouble shooting ends.
As a final control step i will measure teh old bulb unit but forsee an okay. (90% chance)

Any suggestions where and how to get deeper are highly appreciated.

Regards
W
"Monti victim? "

Trainman   
Tue Sep 11 2012, 04:39pm

OK, so just so that I understand correctly:

You have changed the old unit for a new one ?

or

you have replaced the bulb ?

I ask because the bulbs are directly connected to the circuit board, and cannot be changed without a lot of trouble.
citrohanc6   
Tue Sep 11 2012, 07:02pm
yep, changed the old unit for a new one. Costs 19 euro vat included.

BUT HEY PRESTO locked the car half an hour ago and saw from behind that the indicator lightin up. So unlocked the car and tried the indicator stalk and fault is GONE.

Remedie was either a short spray (half a second) of wd under the indicator stalk at the steering column, or an intensive shower of wd in the pin connecter at the tow bar. Both were executed yesterday.

Thanks Train and Dave for your encouraging attention.

Next is a visit to my dealer to solve a draining battery.

Trainman   
Tue Sep 11 2012, 07:35pm

Good stuff, Had you of said there was a tow bar I would have suggested that the pin conctions may have closed up a little or that there was some sort of obstruction there.

Just Glad it's all sorted out.

Dave, seperate thought I seem to recall vaguely that somebody said they had changed the DRL bulbs for LED's but I can't seem to find anything?
C6Dave   
Wed Sep 12 2012, 06:23am

Member No: #1
I tried and gave up on the DRL's, but yes someone did say they had done it, nickyg: - Click Here -
Website
citrohanc6   
Fri Sep 14 2012, 05:07pm
well, cheered too early. They're dead flat again. Think it's a com2000 build out job. Going to look for the airbag removal download.
citrohanc6   
Tue Oct 02 2012, 06:42pm
just FYI neiter the tow bar nor the stalks at the steering column were debet of the failing indicator lamp. It turns out to be a bad contact in a 8? pin plug in the front bumper.

Dealer replaced the brake switch also: CC works fine now. Draining batt hasn't occured until now, touch wood.

regards
Winus
Norman   
Tue Feb 28 2017, 05:39am
Member No: #364
Hi Steve,
i changed both the DRL and the Indicator bulbs for Leds, Simple job there should be writeups somewhere.

Norman
Patrickf   
Tue Jan 09 2024, 12:33pm
Member No: #1830
i need two units / holders 6303.91 for my C6 otherwise it will fail MOT and will have to scrap the vehicle. any help appreciated
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club