Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Passenger Footwell Leak

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
PHaTGRoB   
Thu Aug 30 2012, 05:55pm
Member No: #994
I'm new to this forum, having got my 2008 C6 Lignage in April with 9000 miles on it. When hoovering the car out recently I noticed that the passenger footwell was very wet under the floor mat.

The driver's side is OK. I have had a look at it today and the water seems to be welling up in the A-Pillar and to be leaking out via one of the clip holes up from the base of the door frame.

DSharples posted a comment in a thread way back in 2010 saying that the water ingress is from the top of the bulkhead due to missing sealant. Has anyone else experienced this and give me a pointer to exactly where the hole is? Otherwise, the car seems fine.

Thanks. GRoB
C6Dave   
Fri Aug 31 2012, 06:18am

Member No: #1
There will be drain holes, each end of the 'scuttle' panel under the wipers that lead down behind the wheel arch liners.

Make sure these are clear.

Another potential source is a blocked or disconnected air con unit drain
Website
PHaTGRoB   
Fri Aug 31 2012, 07:08am
Thanks for your reply C6Dave. The drain holes are clear and the copious quanitites of water I threw in there yesterday went down the drain and poured out bewteen the wheel arch and the liner. What's annoying is that I know how the water is getting from the A-pillar to the footwell but can't replicate it and can't find the water route into the A-pillar in the first place. Where does the aircon drain go? I've had leaks into a variety of cars which have just taken serious perseverance to find and resolve and are affected by car angle, etc. Here's to another day of searching.
C6Dave   
Fri Aug 31 2012, 07:57am

The layout is likely to be similar to the C4 and there is a FAQ on that HERE

No one has taken any images of the C6 location as I don't remember anyone else with a C6 having that particular leak, but there is always a first time.
Website
PHaTGRoB   
Sat Sep 01 2012, 02:12pm
Sorted...I think. I'll have to keep my eye on it through a few wet days but I'm confident I found the leak.
Just to the outside of the nearside bonnet hinge is an area where many panels come together - Inner Wing, Lower A-Pillar (which the doors hang off) and Upper A-Pillar (windscreen frame).

The joint between the Upper and Lower A-Pillars should be sealed, but wasn't.

There's also a small drain hole next to this joint which should be kept free of sealant.

This is similar to what DSharples reported in his 2010 thread and must be down to a manufacturing defect as the driver's side is sealed. Goo was applied and now all I need to do is to dry the footwell.

As a result it's sitting out there in the sunshine right now!

It would be worth others checking their carpets as this must have affected a few. I'll post some photos soon. GRoB.
dsharples   
Sat Sep 01 2012, 05:59pm
Member No: #119
Yes, that's exactly where mine leaked! I'm curious, whats your RP? Mines 10900?
PHaTGRoB   
Sun Sep 02 2012, 05:03pm
RP?
C6Dave   
Sun Sep 02 2012, 06:09pm

RPO number which = Factory build date or ORGA Number

Details in the FAQ here: - Click Here - on the 'A' pillar label and the calculator info is here: - Click Here -
Website
PHaTGRoB   
Sun Sep 02 2012, 06:40pm
Cheers C6Dave. The number is 11049CJ making it 8th Feb 2007...14 months before it was registered. Popular cars at the time, eh? I loved them at the time but would not have spent £40,000 on one, as I didn't - and still don't - have that much!
dsharples   
Sun Sep 02 2012, 08:21pm
Member No: #119
So very different dates then - oh well, bang goes that theory - thought perhaps it was a "bad day" for someone! Mine was built on Tuesday September 12, 2006 and not registered until September 2007 - a mere 12 months delay!

gmerry   
Mon Sep 03 2012, 07:15am
Member No: #21
Hi all, how much dismantling to get to this area?

Any photos?

regards
G
PHaTGRoB   
Mon Sep 03 2012, 10:52am
DSharples - It would suggest that there are many out there with the same problem as yet undiscovered. If this mastic was applied by hand then maybe it just the odd one. Difficult area to apply sealant with the bonnet and those pyrotechnic mountings in place!

gmerry - I dismantled quite a bit (cowl, n/s windscreen wiper and motor, etc.) but only as I didn't know where the leak was. It could be done without any removal.I think. I'll try and get the couple of photos on here tonight once I find out how to post them. Busy work and study getting in the way of interesting stuff like this at present!
PHaTGRoB   
Mon Sep 03 2012, 06:26pm
Photos as promised. Car looks pretty mucky!
Also the mastic used (I thought that roof and gutter sealant would be good) also looks messy but it's an awkward place to apply it. It looks better in real life.
Hope this helps. GRoB.

gmerry   
Mon Sep 03 2012, 07:54pm
Member No: #21
Phatgrob thanks for post. Photos worth a thousand words on this one.

Regards
G
PHaTGRoB   
Mon Sep 03 2012, 10:05pm
No problem.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club