Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Spare key required

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
yorkxx   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 08:47pm
Member No: #1005
Hi, anyone know where is the cheapest place to get a spare key for my C6?
I only have one key and would like another.

Citroen are quoting £156 inc programme.

Can an old key from another Citroen Like C5 or C4 be re-programmed or is it a one off chance
situation?

Is it only Citroen that can give you these keys?

Cheers
C6Dave   
Thu Aug 30 2012, 06:22am

Member No: #1
There are key 'cases' on eBay but they lack the interior parts.

If you do manage to find a used one, you still need to get both keys re coded to your car so your going to end up paying a dealer for that anyway and there is no guarantee the 'used' key will re code to the car.

Personally I would just order one from your dealer.
Website
theguardian   
Thu Aug 30 2012, 07:35am
Member No: #645
some of the bigger high st keycutting shops are doing these sort of keys now the one locel to me are asking just under a £100 or it was two months ago
Trainman   
Thu Aug 30 2012, 11:22am

Member No: #86
There's another possibility, Have you tried to contact the previous owner? They may still have the other key.

as for programming, there is the capacity within Lexia to program keys, if you know somebody with one.
yorkxx   
Thu Aug 30 2012, 07:28pm
Hi Guy's,

thank you for the help, I will ask at my local diagnostics service shop I he has Leixa programme
stuff, hopefully?! Thanks for that..

Re; The Guardian post.

Do you know any of the names of the high street retailers that do the key under £100 as you say?

And just thought of something, did the C6 come with two remote keys when new, or was it just a normal blade type like the C4?

Cheers
yorkxx   
Thu Aug 30 2012, 07:30pm
Yes Trainman I have tried that and I'm waiting for a reply via post + the dealer said they would ask again, but usually it's a lost cause, never had one sent yet.

Cheers
drummond   
Thu Aug 30 2012, 07:53pm
Member No: #238
Two remotes, Yorkxx. Quality car an' all that...
Gobxoy   
Thu Aug 30 2012, 07:59pm
Member No: #786
yorkxx is the previous owner Scotish?

You could try something rash like sending a leter with your phone number offering a cash reward if he can find the spare?

Worth another stamp, got to be cheaper way to go than a new key from dealer????
theguardian   
Thu Aug 30 2012, 08:47pm
Member No: #645
hi mine had two flip keys and a third was a normal key the high st store thompsons
verycleverman   
Thu Aug 30 2012, 08:52pm
Member No: #65
Just a thought, if you bought the car from a Citroën dealer it should have come with all the original equipment - including both keys. Might be worth a punt.

Pete.
yorkxx   
Thu Aug 30 2012, 09:37pm
I'm Scottish, the guy who had the car last was from Dorset, heard they are as tight as a Drum
down there so no chance there then so I've been told by the Welsh, but you never know??

Got mine from a Dealer, not Citroen, but good rep dealer by the look's.

Unfortunately only one key...

Let you all know if I can get round the key programming thing though.

Cheers
Gobxoy   
Fri Aug 31 2012, 08:29am
Member No: #786
yorkxx wrote:- I'm Scottish, the guy who had the car last was from Dorset, heard they are as tight as a Drum down there so no chance there then so I've been told by the Welsh, but you never know??

Tightness is not only a preserve of the Scottish/Welsh, also widley practised in Essex, were even too tight to have any significant hills and certainly too tight to even consider any moutains, but we do have some nice flat bits we stole from the sea, and are now too cheap to keep them so have given them back!!!!!!!! to sea.

So if someone who is tight gets a letter offering hard currency, if they have retained the key for whatever reason, then stands to reason you would get a reply???????? So the tigher they are the better chance of success
ciao_chao   
Sat Sep 01 2012, 12:27am
Member No: #518
C6Dave wrote ...

Does this mean that with my key (which has split open), I can simply put the old electronics into a new case?
Trainman   
Sat Sep 01 2012, 04:47am

Member No: #86
ciao_chao wrote ...

C6Dave wrote ...

Does this mean that with my key (which has split open), I can simply put the old electronics into a new case?

In essence, yes, but in the past I've found that the cases don't always fit the blade of the key, but swapping the electics is a straight exchange...... usually, I did have one, thinking about it, where I had to break a piece of plastic off on the iside of the case to get the circuit board to fit.
yorkxx   
Sat Sep 01 2012, 11:45am
Trainman wrote ...

ciao_chao wrote ...

C6Dave wrote ...

In essence, yes, but in the past I've found that the cases don't always fit the blade of the key, but swapping the electics is a straight exchange...... usually, I did have one, thinking about it, where I had to break a piece of plastic off on the iside of the case to get the circuit board to fit.

Yes he's correct, you have to break off a couple of little posts of plastic usually, I had to do that
with my C4 key, as for the blade fitting as I remember I had to use the original spring roll post from the old key that goes through the key it's-self in order to have a new cover.

Cheers
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club