Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Which tyres are the quietest and most suitable?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
jamescarruthers   
Sun Jun 03 2018, 05:44am
Member No: #1548
Damn, I wish I'd waited for the 4's to come out! I put four 3's on just before they were released!
PHaTGRoB   
Sat Jun 23 2018, 09:26pm
Member No: #994
My old tyres were down to the TWIs and I've just had a full set of new Goodyear Efficient Grip 245-45-18 100Y tyres fitted. It's back to being smooth and quiet and the "bearing" noise I was getting has now completely gone. A complete and welcome transformation.
MarkBevan   
Mon Sep 17 2018, 01:20pm
Member No: #3172
I'm having Michelin Primacy 4's fitted, to replace my nasty Sailun Atrezzo Z4+AS front tyres (which have no outside edges left on them).

Having done a bit of research:

In the premium range (£145-£150), it's a toss up between the Michelin Primacy 4's and the Continental Premium Contact 6's. I have had good results with Continentals before on cars, but these Michelins are a bit quieter and more fuel efficient.

For something a bit cheaper (£130-£135), the Falken Azensis FK510's & Dunlop SportMaxx RT2's review well.

At the cheaper end (£100 although I have seen them discounted close to £80), the Kumho Ecsta PS71's, review well enough to be worth a punt.
Bishop   
Tue Sep 18 2018, 04:06pm
Member No: #868
As an alternative to the Kumho, I cannot speak highly enough of the Avon ZZ5 that I have on the the front wheels of my C6.
FraserG   
Tue Sep 18 2018, 09:28pm
Member No: #2011
I finally bit the bullet and had 4 new Primacy 3's fitted to my C6. When I bought the car four years ago the seller had just fitted a set of Triangle 245 x 45 x 18's which looked the part, were quiet and didn't lose traction. The car however never felt as good as I was expecting and had a slight tremor which I couldn't identify. It often felt like a slight miss but the engine was fine. I checked the wheel balancing, alignment, suspension, steering and all seemed as they should be. However the slight tremor became an uncomfortable vibration, so after almost 40,000kms I changed the tyres. I can only say that the car is transformed! Being a rare car in New Zealand, I had only briefly driven another (thanks Sam) but on the tyres the car was designed for, you really can feel the difference. Citroen's deserve Michelins.
MarkBevan   
Sat Sep 22 2018, 05:56am
Member No: #3172
I have to agree with Fraser, the new Michelin Primacy 4's on my front axle seem good. The ride is smoother than it was (they cope better with big potholes etc.) and there is a distinct lack of vibration. The only downside is that they are louder when crossing the white lines at motorway speeds. I'm going back to the tyre shop, for another pair, for the rear axle.
e3steve   
Mon Sep 24 2018, 05:26pm
Member No: #1163
Well, I’m delighted with my now-full-set of Nankang Ultra-Sport NS-IIs. Quiet from within the cabin, grippy, in both wet & dry conditions, the “3” returns 40+mpg on a 200-mile run (with a ‘spirited’ driving style) and at £340 for four, excellent value. Time will tell how they wear...

They’re not quite as grippy as the Conti SportContact-3s that I was forced to retire (clipped a traffic-calming kerbstone!) on the front axle, and they can get a bit chirpy when pushing hard through a roundabout or a tight bend in the dry, whereas the Continentals never raised a murmur.
321dave   
Tue Sep 25 2018, 08:23am
Member No: #614
e3steve wrote ...

Well, I’m delighted with my now-full-set of Nankang Ultra-Sport NS-IIs. Quiet from within the cabin, grippy, in both wet & dry conditions, the “3” returns 40+mpg on a 200-mile run (with a ‘spirited’ driving style) and at £340 for four, excellent value. Time will tell how they wear...

They’re not quite as grippy as the Conti SportContact-3s that I was forced to retire (clipped a traffic-calming kerbstone!) on the front axle, and they can get a bit chirpy when pushing hard through a roundabout or a tight bend in the dry, whereas the Continentals never raised a murmur.

Hi Steve,
Whow!! Tyres getting chirpy on a C6!

It's actually amazing how they can handle when pushed a bit. The adaptive suspension after a few miles (not sure how many) start to get behind the driving style of the driver. I have noticed that if you drive very slow the car seems soft and if you drive faster it seems to get comfortable but harder as well. Anyone notice that as well?
C6Dave   
Tue Sep 25 2018, 10:31am

Member No: #1
321dave wrote ...

The adaptive suspension after a few miles (not sure how many) start to get behind the driving style of the driver. I have noticed that if you drive very slow the car seems soft and if you drive faster it seems to get comfortable but harder as well. Anyone notice that as well?

Yes it does and the car sits and rides better at French Motorway speeds than at the UK one (just done 1,000+ miles over the past 2 weeks in 2 separate trips in mine)

It's still running on the tyres it came with; Jingu's on the front and Rovelo's on the rear. On a decent motorway road surface they are quiet enough, but noise does increase on worn surfaces, same as any other tyre but it's not distracting enough for me to pay to change them.....
Website
321dave   
Tue Sep 25 2018, 02:15pm
Member No: #614
Dave-Retired wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

The adaptive suspension after a few miles (not sure how many) start to get behind the driving style of the driver. I have noticed that if you drive very slow the car seems soft and if you drive faster it seems to get comfortable but harder as well. Anyone notice that as well?

Yes it does and the car sits and rides better at French Motorway speeds than at the UK one (just done 1,000+ miles over the past 2 weeks in 2 separate trips in mine)

It's still running on the tyres it came with; Jingu's on the front and Rovelo's on the rear. On a decent motorway road surface they are quiet enough, but noise does increase on worn surfaces, same as any other tyre but it's not distracting enough for me to pay to change them.....

Hi Dave, It's now time for two new front alloys I think(getting bad paint flake problem on one that was repainted about 3 yrs ago) and then two new Michelins primacy 4 tyres I think (just to try them) and if good and worth the money I'll do the rears as well. Why not, it's a Citroen!
Kaloteck   
Tue Nov 13 2018, 07:40pm
Member No: #1271
Dave-Retired wrote ...

the car sits and rides better at French Motorway speeds than at the UK one

why?
Norman   
Wed Nov 14 2018, 05:32am
Member No: #364
Just come back after 10 weeks in Torremolinos I had fitted 4 of the new Michelin all weather+ tyres and we did 5000+ kms at Spanish and French motorway speeds very quiet and smooth the change from French to English motorways was not as noticeable as the last time we came back they also feel precise in all the handling.
There is a better report in another thread on the forum
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club