Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Which tyres are the quietest and most suitable?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
pattersonoxford   
Sun Apr 10 2016, 12:26pm
Member No: #48
Had Continental Sport 5s from Tyreleader.co.uk (currently £122 ea) fitted last year. A very quiet tyre and top rated on most recent tyre comparison reviews.
C6Chester   
Sun Apr 10 2016, 02:08pm
Member No: #2287
Anybody ever heard of/used Delinte tyres on their C6 before?

This is what my Citroen dealership put on mine, have to say I was a bit worried they were only £50 each!
Hattershaun   
Sun Apr 10 2016, 05:25pm
Member No: #320
I'm really happy with Michelin Primacy, currently about £130 each from - Click Here -.
Got 30,000 miles from those on the rear of my car and 20,000 from the fronts.
They seem very quiet to me.
pattersonoxford   
Sun Apr 10 2016, 07:19pm
Member No: #48
I understand that the noise rating on the tyre label refers to the drive by noise, not the noise inside the car.
gmerry   
Tue Apr 12 2016, 08:59am
Member No: #21
Update: taken a gamble and gone for these Korean tyres, Nexen N'Fera SU1 245/45R18 100 Y ZR. Oh well, at least I recognise the brand. Minor issue is that Nexen UK's website don't list these tyres in my size but let's see what turns up. Ordered from Oponeo with fitting to be by my local helpful garage.

PS, was reading a fascinating book by Simon Winchester "Pacific" which in one chapter describes the container traffic in Yokohama bay: the ships now carry inward bound by a large factor, more TVs and tyres than the Japanese produce. So I'm just part of the international purchasing trend.

Regards
G
gmerry   
Thu May 26 2016, 03:37pm
Hi all, the Nexen N'Fera "whatever" now have a thousand miles on them and so far, stunningly quiet and just as comfortable as the previous Falkens. Braking is good, havn't pushed them to check out grip (can't ever recall ever loosing front end grip on the C6 as in understeer on any tyre, putting aside pure snow/ice situations).

I think they just need to upgrade the tyre's name and they will be on to a winner.

Regards
G
bargi   
Tue May 16 2017, 08:42pm
Member No: #2590
Bump, looking for some advice.
Front tyre has worn on the inside pretty badly. Also one of the rears is apparently a run flat so time for a new set of four.

1. What are peoples views and recommendations for tyres the days? (18 inch)
2. Is there anything special to watch out for getting a wheel alignment with the C6 I need to let the tyre shop know?

321dave   
Tue May 16 2017, 09:39pm
Member No: #614
Hi Bargi,
my C6 had very similar tyre wear on the Inside shoulder like yours. My lower suspension bushes were worn badly and the tyre was moving around in ways it really shouldn't. Replaced the long vertical suspension legs and got the wheels aligned by laser. All great now. No more worn tyres!
gmerry   
Wed May 17 2017, 07:37am
Hi Bargi, if you are considering 4 wheel alignment, the rear adjustable tie-rods will almost certainly be frozen solid. These will need to replaced before the rear toe-in can be adjusted.

regards
Frode   
Thu Mar 08 2018, 08:02pm
Member No: #3171
Hi,

It is time to replace my awfully loud SportContact2s up front and the additionally unstable Yokohamas (AdvanSport) on the rear axle. I will stick to the original 18 inch rims and 245/45-18 tyres.

The recommended (above) Falkens (ZE912) do not seem to be available anymore, but there are the ZE914 ECORUN and the Azenis. The Ecorun apparantly is slippery in the wet, while the Azenis is getting good/ok marks and is comfortable (see link below). Has anyone tried the Azenis?

The Nexens are available in both SU1 and SU4 form and the SU1 seems to have fared ok in tests, with some reservations that it provokes understeer. SU4 seems to be a downgraded SU1 with lower rolling resistance. Those of you using Nexens, are they still working well?

The following test features 245/45-18 tyres, but on a (very) different kind of car (BMW 5 series estate): - Click Here -

If price is not an issue, the top of the line tyre seems to be the Michelin Pilot Sport 4. If noise and comfort is important, as well as behaviour in the wet, it seems the Conti (PremContact 6) and the Hankook (Ventus S1 EVO2) are also very good choices. Any thoughts on these (and others) are welcome.

And finally: XL or not? I seem to find everything from "absolutely not" to "it is essential" when trying to work out what is best on the C6. Mind you, I live in Norway, where the roads are not always nice, but speed limits are low.

Best,
Frode
jamescarruthers   
Fri Mar 09 2018, 07:51am
Member No: #1548
Hello mate. I went with the recommended Michelin Primacy 3 (XL due to the weight). They are very quiet on a good road but I have came to the conclusion that it is the 18" wheels with little sidewalls which make the car noisy. They are just too big. I've never known any car transmit such clonks and bangs through to the driver.

I read on here that the 17" wheels make the car drive better, as discovered by people who switched for smaller winter wheels.
Frode   
Wed Mar 14 2018, 11:44am
Member No: #3171
Hello, and thanks. Yes, the 17'' wheels would probably be better along many dimensions, but I cannot shake the fact that I think the car deserves the Roccastradas... Also, I have recently bought 17'' tyres and wheels for winter use, and although this was premium tyres with good results for handling, there was a noticable difference in steering response relative to my earlier 18'' winter tyres (and of course, also relative to summer tyres, but that is an unfair comparison).

My bank has decided to give me 25% off on tyres the next few days, so I feel inclined to aim for the top and buy the Michelin Pilot Sport 4.

Best,
Frode
M21   
Fri Mar 16 2018, 10:10pm
Member No: #871
Hi,

10.000 km ago I went for Pirelli's Pzero Nero GT (245/45 R 18) and I'm very pleased with the performance and durability.

Previously I've used Dunlop's Sport Maxx RT and they lasted 40.000km (a little less on the front...).

Regarding Michelin, the Primacy 3 (or the new 4) should be more suitable (PS4 are great but they should wear faster... heavy car...)

Best regards,
M21
FraserG   
Sun Mar 18 2018, 09:26pm
Member No: #2011
M21, your car doesn't appear to have tyres!

When I bought my C6 three and a half years ago, the dealers had just put a new set of tyres on, presumably selected because they were the cheapest? They are Triangle 245/45 R 18's and I've never heard a chirp out of them. As they are the only tyres I've experienced on my C6 I can't compare with others but after 30,000km's they look like they'll need replacing over the next year.
robingc33   
Sat Jun 02 2018, 07:39pm
Member No: #2303
Revisiting this thread in case it's of interest re the latest Michelin Primacy 4 245/45/R18 100W tyres...

I've just had these fitted to replace the original Primacy 3 tyres on my 2014 C5 Exclusive/hydraulic Tourer.
The reduction in road noise and general improvement in ride is quite amazing; I wouldn't have believed the improvement could be so great. It now seems quieter than my C6 (still on Primacy 3).
Robin
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club