Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Which tyres are the quietest and most suitable?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Tue Aug 28 2012, 06:55am

Member No: #1
gmerry wrote ...

Myself, I'll not pay an excessive amount of attention to these fridge comparisons.

Plus the Falken 912's are £50 a corner less to buy and you have to factor that in

Pity the Barum Bravuris don't come in 100XL in the 18" size for the C6 as quite a few C4 owners swear by them
Website
Gobxoy   
Tue Aug 28 2012, 08:09am
Member No: #786
Good points, I did put no recomendation on the fridge comparisons, and link to Michelin for their view. I wasn't awear that these were self policed.

So i did a little futher reserch and came across where they start off with the top 50 - Click Here - and take the top 15 - Click Here -.

Dunlops RT's came out poor on wear but Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 can out top followed by Nokian Z G2 not sure if these are available in our size?

ecksem in Devon fitted the Eagles, which look like a good choice.

More investigation for me nearer the time?????
C6Dave   
Tue Aug 28 2012, 10:18am

Of those, Dunlop, Goodyear and Nokian, I would go for the Nokian's, as these are again widely praised by C4 Grand Picasso owners.
Website
James   
Tue Aug 28 2012, 11:10am
Member No: #817
Gobxoy wrote ...

james wrote:- Dunlop Sportmax GT are 3db quieter still according that website. (Not sight G ) but it's E for fuel and B for grip.

RTFP. Dunlop SportMaxx RT not TT or the GT version you sight, please post the a link to your Dulop site I used this one - Click Here - and could not find euro labels.

I followed your link to performancealloys.com The GT I cited is rated as 96Y which is lighter and faster than 100X, so probably wrong. My bad.

Haven't found anything better on economy, although I'll take a 1 or 2% hit on the fuel for a few meters shorter stopping distance.
Gobxoy   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 10:00am
Nokian 912s maybe not so hot???? link - Click Here -

Eagle F1 Asymetric 2 link - Click Here -

The problem with comparing tyres is so subjective?

When I first came accross the "fridge labels" I thought great unbiased euro label, saddly that was an illusion, now broken.

So we are back to personal recomendations, or subjective reviews?

C6Dave is happy to recommend the Nokian 912s as they are widley used and highly regarded by the C4 community, I thinking maybe not so good on a C6?

Just for my own peace of mind I checked them out and posted what I found and the links above so you can check out for yourselves.

Tyres are such a crucia part of the car, it is bound to be an on going exchange of veiws? (and changes as new designs come to the market)

C6Dave   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 11:38am

I'm not 'recommending' Nokians Gobxoy, only passing on the comments.

I have only had Michelins and Falkens on my C6's and given the cost savings on each tyre found the Falken 912's to be more than acceptable.
Website
Gobxoy   
Wed Aug 29 2012, 01:52pm
C6Dave wrote:- Of those, Dunlop, Goodyear and Nokian, I would go for the Nokian's, as these are again widely praised by C4 Grand Picasso owners.

C6Dave also wrote:- I'm not 'recommending' Nokians Gobxoy, only passing on the comments.

I have only had Michelins and Falkens on my C6's and given the cost savings on each tyre found the Falken 912's to be more than acceptable.

I misunderstood "I would go for" as a recommendation.

Clarifacation appreciated.

skipppy   
Sun Sep 16 2012, 07:26am
Member No: #914
Hi Stealth,
My C6 is up to 35,500 km after a few months and I also have gone to Greg Bunting at Continental Cars in Punchbowl for servicing of my previous Citroens. I'd trust his advice but I'll say that I'm very happy with my standard Michelin Primacys, the car does seem very quiet in freeway running. I drive over to his dealership from Land Cove because I reckon him to be the most experienced Citroen person in SYD.
Your pic shows you Greg's driveway!
Mike H   
Sat Oct 06 2012, 11:56am
Member No: #53
Hi i am in Aus, I changed the original michelins at 70,000kms and they were noisy by then and 5 yrs old too.
I was happy to try the Falkens, but have gone to Bridgestone Potenza. On a pay for 3 deal.
These are noticably quieter on the freeway.
Very happy and I like the rib that helps to protect the rim.
Mike
Stealth   
Sat Oct 06 2012, 09:44pm
Member No: #986
Thanks Skippy,

I agree about Greg at Continental Cars. I'm sure you wouldn't find a more experienced Citroen Dealer in Australia.

However, I did have my V6 Xantia serviced and at Paradise Garage (a few years back) in Alexandria. They offer superb service and managed to sort out the mess made by McLeod of my Xantia's hydraulics when they offered Citroen service on Bourke Street in East Sydney.

I went with the Bridgestone Turanzas and am very happy so far. I plan to rotate them every 10,000 kms and will be interested to see how well they wear. Having kerbed one wheel already (it's off at the local smash repairer being re-sprayed for $120), I will definitely consider fitting original equipment next time.
Stealth   
Sat Oct 06 2012, 09:47pm
Member No: #986
Mike H,

I can't believe, from what I read in this forum, that you got 70,000kms out of the original set of tyres on your 6. Didn't know the Potenza had a rib in the wall. Keep us all posted on how well they wear and whether there's any change.
Mike H   
Sun Oct 07 2012, 12:57am
Member No: #53
Hi Stealth welcome,
I sort of expected that comment from someone, it was 68900kms actually.
I bought the car at 44K kms with 3 of the original tyres, (one had been replaced early on due to damage). they were well worn then. I have been commuting to work at pretty low speed and the older tyres seem to get harder and wear more slowly.
I finally replaced them when I picked up a big nail.
I had been told by several experts that the rumble from the
RHS front was scolloping, but it's still there now. Now i.m told it is the wheel bearing. (had this same noise on a CX and it was the C.V.)We will see.

In the UK there is the regular MOT and I suspect those who buy C6's are doing high speed motorway commuting ?
We have had a drought here for 10 years too. Very different to driving in the UK.
By the way the Falken's on my wife's 2.7 407 are nice and quiet too.

Hope you are enjoying your car. Fell free to give me a hoy if you are south.
cheers
Mike
skipppy   
Thu Oct 18 2012, 09:35am
Member No: #914
I thought that being able to see down to the kerb through the passenger's mirror when reversing was the best thing ever, but it's not unique to the C6. My friend has it too in his Golf R.

Happily for me the new C5 I now have has a mirror with large image and I can direct it to cover kerb [almost] as well as road. But the C5 cup holder is concealed in the console, adjacent to the USB port for the sound - a confined space - it's just asking for trouble.

Only an idiot would put a Nano in there next to the cup of coffee [like I did] and then spill it! So the music is now in the iPhone instead - instead of the dead Nano.

With C6 cup holders popping out of the dash and very neatly tucked away you know there are some sensible people at Citroen ... and the C6 interior was said to have been designed first.
gmerry   
Sat Apr 09 2016, 09:09am
Member No: #21
Not sure if this is the most up to date tyre choice thread, but anyhow, I need two new summer tyres to replace those that were "darted" by some vandal at the end of last year. I've been very happy with my Falken ZE912s for the last 6 years so my default choice would be their replacement, ZE914s. I'm budgeting about £100 a corner plus fitting. Is anyone on this forum running on the 914s?

Thanks
G
e3steve   
Sat Apr 09 2016, 11:07am
Member No: #1163
gmerry wrote ...

Not sure if this is the most up to date tyre choice thread, but anyhow, I need two new summer tyres to replace those that were "darted" by some vandal at the end of last year. I've been very happy with my Falken ZE912s for the last 6 years so my default choice would be their replacement, ZE914s. I'm budgeting about £100 a corner plus fitting. Is anyone on this forum running on the 914s?

Thanks
G
912s also. Just about to try some new mid-range Chinese things that appear very good and are highly recommended by a mate with a Beemer; I'll let you know what they are (can't remember just now)...
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club