Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Ice / USB Box / Telephone problems

USB Box - how do you get to the 'root' directory?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
michaelb   
Sat Mar 27 2010, 04:42pm
Member No: #14
I put 16 Gb's worth of .MP3s on a USB stick and stuck it in the USB Box. Apart from it constantly saying track 'x'/99 when I know there are thousands of tracks, it has played fine in Random mode.

Then reading tips on the C4 forum I messed about with Preset buttons 1 to 6 to see the album and artist names. It does work after a fashion.

Then I noticed it was saying track 'x'/28, then I realised why: it was stuck on one album. A lot of prodding around later I got it to move to another album but I can't remember how. Now I can't get it to move anywhere else.

The handbook says to press the UP button to move up a directory but it does nothing.

Gawd this software is awful - it would have been easier if they gave us a Unix command line interface!

I've tried the obvious: turning it off and on, unplugging and replugging, cycling through different sources. Nada.

Any ideas?
C6Dave   
Sat Mar 27 2010, 06:08pm

Member No: #1
It can be a pain,what 'firmware version' is it running?

The upgrade was supposed to help, more info - Click Here -

16Gb is probably the real issue though, 4 Gb seems to be the optimum size to use but you need to set up the 16 GB in a certain way for it to work anywhere near you expect - Click Here -
Website
michaelb   
Sat Mar 27 2010, 08:24pm
16 Gb was working fine. But if the limit is lower I'll swap it for another key.
tonyrome   
Sun Mar 28 2010, 02:22pm
Member No: #15
michaelb wrote ...
Gawd this software is awful - it would have been easier if they gave us a Unix command line interface!

C6Dave   
Thu Apr 01 2010, 01:40pm

Software, yes it's not the easiest to use so I have created an MP3 CD for my wife's car with her favourite tunes on which she has put on random play

It shows the artist and track title whilst playing.

I did it following the process (1) in the faq - Click Here -

OK not as many tracks as an iPod or usb stick but I got 110 tracks on 1 CD with over 6 hours of playing time.
Website
michaelb   
Mon Apr 12 2010, 12:00pm
I haven't had the chance to run the software updater yet but I solved the problem today. It seems you have to cancel PTY (whatever that is) and you do it by pressing and holding the TA button - obvious really

Once I did that it allowed me to navigate back up to the root directory and now all 16 GBs of tracks are playing again. What a palaver!

Thanks for the software Dave, I'll run the updater soon.
JimC   
Fri Sep 16 2011, 07:14pm
Member No: #229
C6Dave wrote ...

16Gb is probably the real issue though, 4 Gb seems to be the optimum size to use but you need to set up the 16 GB in a certain way for it to work anywhere near you expect - Click Here -

I'm determined to get track names showing on my RD4 when playing MP3's from a glovebox-mounted USB stick.
I've created 4 folders with various tracks on each but the only data on the display is "CDx Track x of xx". When playing MP3's on a CD (created from a Playlist in ITunes), the track name shows & scrolls perfectly. However, I don't see how to save a Playlist onto a USB.
I found the link above in a previous forum but... "tried that with no luck".
I have also had answers to a previous question posed on the same topic but these related to playing an MP3 CD.
michaelb   
Fri Sep 16 2011, 07:40pm
JimC wrote ...

I'm determined to get track names showing on my RD4 when playing MP3's from a glovebox-mounted USB stick.

I gave up on that. Life is too short. I bought a TomTom iPhone cradle (for sat nav purposes) and plug the cradle into the USB box. Okay I have dangling wires but I have ALL my music in a nice easy to navigate interface.
Chevrons   
Sun Sep 18 2011, 04:36pm
Member No: #85
JimC wrote ...

C6Dave wrote ...

I have used a 16Gb stick for 12 months now without issue.
As for displaying tack names forget it, the radio and USB / iPod / 3.5mm jack interface is shameful and affects the display in random ways.

How did Peugeot Citroen release such a a wooden device, did they not actually put it a car and try it?
C6Dave   
Sun Sep 18 2011, 06:32pm

Well Dension, the market leaders build it for Citroen...........
Website
verycleverman   
Sun Sep 18 2011, 10:10pm
Member No: #65
Chevrons wrote ...

How did Peugeot Citroen release such a a wooden device, did they not actually put it a car and try it?

They probably worked on the basis that it's a car - not a discotheque. I would imagine that working your way through the menu, tracks etc. would be a distraction; similar to programming the sat nav whilst moving. Therefore, it is an option that should not be available. One thing that the car should have been equipped with, though, is a DAB radio.

Pete.
wiltscub   
Wed May 23 2012, 07:44pm
Member No: #886
michaelb wrote ...

It seems you have to cancel PTY (whatever that is) and you do it by pressing and holding the TA button - obvious really

PTY is the "programme type" on the Radio Data System (RDS). RDS basically broadcasts information about the station, programme and traffic alert (TA) signals. This is how you get the station name instead of the frequency. PTY allows you to track down stations of a certain type e.g. news, pop etc. I don't know ANYONE who has EVER used it.

I suspect that given how much of a bodge job has been done - the head unit is obviously an ancient architecture and short of using a brand new model they've fudged how to get the minimum of information onto the system and as a result you have to disable PTY.

Bit of a worry for me picking up my car on Friday - really not sure if I should bother with the iPOD box, particularly at £267 plus VAT (!!!!!!) to have fitted by Sportif Chalfont.

Will a 3.5mm jack into the AV sockets in the glove box work for my iPOD for now?
smorphet   
Wed May 23 2012, 09:16pm
Member No: #88
At that price, I wouldn't bother with the USB box. I had one that came with my car, but I had it removed (which cured a thump that came through the speakers when the ignition was turned in and off). I never got on with the clunky interface, lack of data display, and so on.

Instead, I can thoroughly recommend a USB cable, which plugs into the back of the RT4, and will play music from a USB stick. The same user interface as the HDD jukebox, and it shows track names, etc., from tags in the MP3 files. Cost - about £15 on eBay, and fitted it myself.

wiltscub   
Wed May 23 2012, 09:22pm
Member No: #886
Thanks smorphet - that's potentially an option however being all Mac at home, all my digital media is in proprietary Apple formats. TBH - with 10Gb of hard drive space and some innovative use of playlists via CDs, I'm sure I'll come up with a solution...
pclark   
Thu May 24 2012, 07:45am
Member No: #3
I don't think the USB box works with the Navidrive equipped models anyway as it's not compatible with the display screen. I'm working from memory here - someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club