C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Windows and heavy frost

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Tue Dec 01 2009, 11:20am

Member No: #1
It rained late yesterday then we had a heavy overnight frost leaving the car ice covered (first time this winter).

I scraped all the windows clear but when I opened the rear door to put a bag in the window auto lowered (as it should) but popped up again as soon as I let go of the handle. It should stay lowered until the door is closed again otherwise you could break the glass if you try and close the door

I had to hold the handle whilst I closed the door to keep the glass down

20 minutes later when I opened the door to get the bag out it was fine

Anyone else noticed this happen?

If not, just be aware and watch for it on cold days.
Website
tonyrome   
Tue Dec 01 2009, 12:04pm
Member No: #15
That could be a serious fault you've discovered there, Dave! If you hadn't realised, it would have resulted in a broken window. Just as long as the window does drop when you pull the handle. What if it freezes in the upper position?! Since it gets very cold in Berlin in the winter, I'll definitely keep an eye out for that problem.
michaelb   
Tue Dec 01 2009, 12:26pm
Member No: #14
I'm off to the Alps in a couple a weeks. I shall watch this closely.
COLINJ   
Tue Jan 15 2013, 10:44am
Member No: #697
C6Dave wrote ...

It rained late yesterday then we had a heavy overnight frost leaving the car ice covered (first time this winter).

I scraped all the windows clear but when I opened the rear door to put a bag in the window auto lowered (as it should) but popped up again as soon as I let go of the handle. It should stay lowered until the door is closed again otherwise you could break the glass if you try and close the door

I had to hold the handle whilst I closed the door to keep the glass down.

20 minutes later when I opened the door to get the bag out it was fine

Anyone else noticed this happen?

If not, just be aware and watch for it on cold days.

Hi C6dave, with ref to this quote you made back in oct2009 thats exactly what happen to me.

Pappnase   
Tue Jan 15 2013, 10:57am
Member No: #1044
This has also happened to a few here. If I understood correctly, there are two micro switches, one for the handle and one which detects that the door has been closed. If the second one freezes, we have an issue. I have been spared so far but this is only my first winter with the C6. I have had the windows frozen so they would not drop. I used windscreen washer fluid to defrost. Then I used glycerin on the rubber and had no problems since.
smihaialex   
Tue Jan 15 2013, 08:54pm
Member No: #1031
Sad to see this happen - it almost happened to me too, but not because of the frost, but because of my battery being completely depleted.

Winter wise, we had a rough couple of weeks in Bucharest too and I found Jax severely frozen a couple of mornings, but so far haven't had this problem... I do recommend cleaning the windows thoroughly and applying some sort of anti-freeze rubber conditioner on the window "brushes"... I use something that I bough from the local supermarket, but would be happy to use something else (more profi) if available. What would you recommend?!?

Thank you,
Sam
magicands   
Wed Jan 16 2013, 03:55pm
Member No: #1021
I had the oposite problem as my passenger door would not open from the outside, the glass dropped but the door lock did not release (Not frozen, the switch didnt kick in) I had to open the door from inside the car which worked fine.
Its ok now though (Or did I speak to soon?)
Website
citrohanc6   
Wed Jan 16 2013, 09:21pm
Member No: #329
Pappnase wrote ...

This has also happened to a few here. If I understood correctly, there are two micro switches, one for the handle and one which detects that the door has been closed. If the second one freezes, we have an issue. I ha......

yep
anyone on where this switch or the sensor is located?
Passenger window drops but elevated at the same moment as the door was openend. Had to hold the window down with the handle. But as the handle is open the door will not lock. Tricky eye-hand coordination.
dsharples   
Wed Jan 16 2013, 11:26pm
Member No: #119
I've damaged my body-length chrome trim today with the "door open micro-switch problem". i.e. the window dropped on handle, but popped up again the moment the handle was released. After some gentle heating, all seemed fine, but then, a few moments later, it did again - luckily I didn't slam the door, but I clearly caused the corner of the glass to gouge into the chrome trim. Really Annoyed.

I took the 2CV6 to work instead. I left the C6 parked in the sun! But then having swapped back to the C6 to go out this evening, the only door I could open to return home (in -7) was the drivers door, but the door open micro-switch was stuck again. So had to enter the car, put the window down, and close the door, and put the window up.

All of the other doors on the car were really stuck fast, so my earlier lubrication clearly helped - but this is worrying - what if I couldn't have opened any door...

Do we have a diag of where these switches are so I can a) get them dry and b) lube them.

I think snow/damp got into my lock mechanism yesterday...
Pappnase   
Thu Jan 17 2013, 07:44am
There are two switches. The first is in part 12 and lowers the door when the handle is operated. The second is in part 1 (I don't know exactly where) and keeps the window lowered until the door is closed. This second switch is prone to sticking when frozen.
p

citrohanc6   
Thu Jan 17 2013, 04:05pm
Member No: #329
dsharples wrote ...

..... again. So had to enter the car, put the window down, and close the door, and put the window up.

All .....

ahh that's how! already figured out how to warm the interior if all doors and windows were frozen: from the (old school) taigate. They really missed it to make it as complicate as possible haha.
Dan595   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 11:29am
Member No: #299
I have had the problem where the window does not drop when opening the door in very cold temperatures. Resolved four years ago to a) always have de-icer on board; b) keep it in the boot; and c) any sign of ice on the windows, spray it round the lower edges of the windows before opening doors.

I've also had the 'door refusing to open' issue once or twice - needs to be really cold - -8 or so - and only ever affected the o/s/r door.
Tjensen   
Thu Jan 24 2013, 11:50am
Member No: #954
Thanks Dan for practical advice. Would it prevent problems to use silicone spray on the rubber gaskets that come into contact with the windows ?

Cold weather problems with locks and doors are not Citroen or C6 spesific. Some need 2 buckets of hot water thrown over the dors to be accessible (SAAB and CX), some will open, but then locks wont work so you drive with open doors for a while (DS) etc etc
Pappnase   
Mon Jan 28 2013, 09:49am
I treated my gaskets with glycerin two weeks ago and had no problems since. The sunroof still sticks but thaws after a few minutes.
verycleverman   
Tue Jan 29 2013, 12:02am
Member No: #65
Pappnase wrote ...

The sunroof still sticks but thaws after a few minutes.

Why would anyone want to open the sunroof in freezing weather?

Pete
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club