C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

New Windscreen Needed - Autoglass?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Rich   
Sat Jun 23 2012, 08:57pm
Member No: #542
My usual luck with my car windscreens continues. Today, hit by a stone flicked up by a van and it cracked all the way across the passenger side. It happens to every car I own! On my previous car, it happened again 1 week after having the windscreen replaced!

I hear the C6 windscreen is a bit different and would cost loads. Not sure if thats true or not but anyone here had experience of Autoglass for the C6?
cruiserphil   
Sat Jun 23 2012, 09:34pm

Member No: #38
I only had the 2006 car 2 weeks and impact from a stone cracked the windscreen right across the bottom. Replacement was covered by insurance but I had to use the insurer's windscreen repairer. These were similar to Autoglass.

I was concerned as I had bad experiences with a BX and Xantia in the past with windscreen replacements (not this company in this case) but on both occasions the replacement windscreens had to be removed and refitted because of leakage.

However, for the C6 I had a good chat with "Mr. Windscreen" and explained about the HUD panel in the windscreen. So they said they would not take any chances and that they would fit an OEM screen. I also said I did not want it fitted on site. Again they agreed to do the job in their workshop.

I decided to go with them and have to say they did an excellent job. And was that windscreen tested for leaks in the weeks afterwards with the torrential rains that we got!!!

The windscreen was just over €900. My friendly Citroen garage quoted €1200 to do the job but it would not have been covered by the insurers.

So my advice would be to have an OEM screen fitted but chat with the installer to satisfy yourself that they'll mind your car. And don't opt for on site fitting.

Regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Mon Jun 25 2012, 03:27pm
Member No: #21
One of the issues is corrosion of the windscreen surround where the installers scrape the coating off the steel whilst removing the old screen bonding.

It's a good idea to arrange for inspection of the surround prior to the new coating going in. An anti-corrosion coat should be applied to make good any damage.

Regards
G
theguardian   
Mon Jun 25 2012, 05:44pm
Member No: #645
hi autoglass fitted mine just over a year ago they came out to the house and they where fantastic with my car very meticulous and cleanned up behind them leaving the car very clean also gave me some useful info as to keeping the glass in good order so i give them a very big thumbs up

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club